Region 6 Tournament in Tennessean

WrestlingGod

From tennessean.com:

Ravenwood solidified its status as the top team in Region 6 this weekend, winning the individual wrestling tournament Saturday at Overton after claiming the duals title two weeks ago.

The Raptors wrapped up the tourney crown despite winning just one individual championship, scoring 227.5 points. Independence (186.5) was second.

"We have a good team — our entire team," Ravenwood Coach Josh Peck said after qualifying 12 wrestlers for next week's state tournament. "If you have guys willing to come in and put in the work, you're going to get everybody better."

Harrison Hawthorne brought home the only individual honors for Ravenwood, picking up a one-point escape inside the final 10 seconds for a 10-9 win over Brentwood's Nicholas Coffey in the 215-pound final.

However, the Raptors had four other finalists and placed seven more wrestlers in the consolation finals. The top four in each of the 14 weight classes advance to the state tournament.

Independence picked up its only championship-round victory at 160 pounds. McCoy Newberg edged Franklin's John Shrader 3-2 for his fifth win in as many matchups between the two over the past two seasons.

"I was pushing for the pin, but I'm happy with the win," said Newberg.

The 145-pound final was voted best match of the tournament. Hunters Lane's Josue Brown posted a takedown eight seconds into overtime for a 3-1 win over Independence's Brennen Cox.

"He may think I'm cocky, but he doesn't know how hard I've worked to get this," a jubilant Brown said after knocking off the defending state champion. "I wanted to win the region, beat the guy that won state and let people know I'm out here and I'm coming."

At 119, Antioch's Brandon Greer scored on a takedown with seven seconds left to defeat Ravenwood's Jacob Freeman 3-1.

Greer countered a late desperation move by Freeman, successfully defending a lateral drop and taking his opponent down.

"I knew it was coming, so I stayed back and made sure he didn't get too much leverage," Greer said. "I couldn't believe he did it, but it's his mistake. I took advantage of it."

WRESTLING RESULTS

Region 6

At Overton

Team scores: Ravenwood 227.5; Independence 186.5; Franklin 154.5; Brentwood 139; Centennial 128; Antioch 105.5; Overton 101.5; Hunters Lane 81; McGavock 80.5; East Literature 68.5; Glencliff 52; M.L. King 50; Page 42; Cane Ridge 37.5; Hillsboro 27; David Lipscomb 27; Hillwood 22.5; Stratford 11; Hume-Fogg 4; Whites Creek 3.

Championship finals: 103 — K. Smith (Cnt) d. Pelkey (Ind) 13-5; 112 — Agnew (Cnt) p. Aguilar (EL), 1:53; 119 — Greer (Ant) d. Freeman (Rvd) 3-1; 125 — A. Bennett (Fkn) d. Chadwick (Ovt) 16-5; 130 — Woods (Fkn) d. Garcia (McG) 6-0; 135 — Hamilton (Bwd) p. Reynolds (Rvd), 4:23; 140 — P. Smith (Cnt) d. Little (Ind) 4-0; 145 — Brown (HL) d. Cox (Ind) 3-1 OT; 152 — Z. Bennett (Fkn) d. Scara (Ind) 7-4; 160 — Newberg (Ind) d. Shrader (Fkn) 3-2; 171 — Carpenter (Cnt) d. Cherry (McG) 13-7; 189 — Caldwell (Ant) d. Stewart (Rvd) 5-4; 215 — Hawthorne (Rvd) d. Coffey (Bwd) 10-9; 285 — Tate (Ovt) d. Yeager (Rvd) 3-0.