Division II-A Boys Substate...The quiet before the storm

dgeeman

Who will make the "Final Four" in Division II-A Boys   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will advance to David Lipscomb University to play in the Division II-A State Championship?

Like all games there are always questionable calls from one side or the other. I was absolutely livid about many calls of the game. There was a clear charge that #5 took early in the game that was a "no call" that really set the tone for our murmuring and complaining. Late in the game #5 was whistled when he passed then charge...the video tape show the USJ player moving...at the time though I thought it was a legit call. It happens. We could replay the last minute 10 times and I honestly would not think Ezell would win again. But on this night...they did and we Ezell fans were greatful. But believe me we have been on the USJ side at least 4 other times this season...we had a game against USN and now USJ that seemed to have been given to us...but let's not take away the shots by Ray and Jenkins late...they were clutch.

If you want a dvd give me an address and after our season is over I will send you one for a nominal fee if you are a USJ fan. If you are an Ezell Fan...I am selling these as the "Miracle at USJ" cause I can get a lot more money from them...LOL. :)

I feel bad for the way USJ lost that game...but proud of the way the Eagles won it...look at it this way with gas prices so high...we were just being neighborly and keep yall from that expensive road trip.

Just kidding about most of this. Good luck to yall next season...

Gman

First of all, hats off to a very hard nosed Ezell team. They refused to go away and were rewarded in the end. Clutch shots by the two kids you mentioned and something they will remember for the rest of their lives.

My heart hurts for the USJ kids. They had a great year and I hope that they understand just how proud of them we all are. To the seniors that have been a part of this from day one, it has been a joy watching you play and even though it may not seem to have ended well, you have a lot to be proud of and without you, the opportunity would not have even been there.

I remember back at hearing my dad tell me how proud of me he was. At the time, being a care-free teenager, that did not mean nearly as much as it does now. Until you have a son of your own, you don't really understand what that means. So for all you hard-nosed kids out there, know that one day, you will understand just how much pride and joy you bring to us dads. One day you will be in our shoes and really understand what that meant.

Now to the game. Having officiated before, I was really suprised that at this stage of the season, sub-state games, that is what we ended up with. I did not think it was very good at all, for EITHER team. Like the Gman said, there were multiple charging calls on both sides that I didn't truly understand? In addition, it was if you had to wait 5-10 seconds after each whislte till they made up their mind what the call was going to be? It seemed to me as if they were doing as some say "calling the scoreboard"? Every time either team had any kind of momentum, there seemed to be a whislte that killed it pretty quick. I guess in hind site, that I am extremely greatful that the game was not decided by a call. Other than the foul on the last 3, they actually let it almost get out of hand near the end.

In the end, free throws, mistakes and a couple of coaching decisions in addition to a couple of GREAT plays by the Ezell kids determined the outcome of this game.

Also, it's not very many times when my child comes home and says "those guys were pretty nice", especially after just losing a heartbreaker. Usually, I have to hear how cocky so-and-so was and how much trash someone else was talking the whole game. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Call me old fashioned, but given the direction and competition today's high school sports has gone, it still gives me a good feeling to see opposing kids helping each other up off the floor?

Good luck to you guys in the tournament. ECS seems to have come back down to earth a little and you have proven you can play with FRA, so anything can happen from this day on.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, hats off to a very hard nosed Ezell team. They refused to go away and were rewarded in the end. Clutch shots by the two kids you mentioned and something they will remember for the rest of their lives.

My heart hurts for the USJ kids. They had a great year and I hope that they understand just how proud of them we all are. To the seniors that have been a part of this from day one, it has been a joy watching you play and even though it may not seem to have ended well, you have a lot to be proud of and without you, the opportunity would not have even been there.

I remember back at hearing my dad tell me how proud of me he was. At the time, being a care-free teenager, that did not mean nearly as much as it does now. Until you have a son of your own, you don't really understand what that means. So for all you hard-nosed kids out there, know that one day, you will understand just how much pride and joy you bring to us dads. One day you will be in our shoes and really understand what that meant.

Now to the game. Having officiated before, I was really suprised that at this stage of the season, sub-state games, that is what we ended up with. I did not think it was very good at all, for EITHER team. Like the Gman said, there were multiple charging calls on both sides that I didn't truly understand? In addition, it was if you had to wait 5-10 seconds after each whislte till they made up their mind what the call was going to be? It seemed to me as if they were doing as some say "calling the scoreboard"? Every time either team had any kind of momentum, there seemed to be a whislte that killed it pretty quick. I guess in hind site, that I am extremely greatful that the game was not decided by a call. Other than the foul on the last 3, they actually let it almost get out of hand near the end.

In the end, free throws, mistakes and a couple of coaching decisions in addition to a couple of GREAT plays by the Ezell kids determined the outcome of this game.

Also, it's not very many times when my child comes home and says "those guys were pretty nice", especially after just losing a heartbreaker. Usually, I have to hear how cocky so-and-so was and how much trash someone else was talking the whole game. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Call me old fashioned, but given the direction and competition today's high school sports has gone, it still gives me a good feeling to see opposing kids helping each other up off the floor?

Good luck to you guys in the tournament. ECS seems to have come back down to earth a little and you have proven you can play with FRA, so anything can happen from this day on.

What a great post. With all the emotions running high after the game. I was really impressed with the USJ people coming up and telling us congrats. Definitely a classy bunch of people. Hope we meet again down the road to add to the rival.

What a great post. With all the emotions running high after the game. I was really impressed with the USJ people coming up and telling us congrats. Definitely a classy bunch of people. Hope we meet again down the road to add to the rival.

I agree with 9aafan, Asitis, like I said in an earlier post I do like "Your style" do you have a son that remains on the team or a graduate this year? There are a number of us on this site that try to keep things positive...after all it is just a game. Thanks for the kind words about our kids...I think they try to play hard and are a good bunch of guys. Actually in this team there is a lot of love shown for sure this season...a lot of unselfish play (we have 6 players avg 10.1 - 12 pts a game)...and a genuine feeling that they enjoy playing with one another...it has and continues to be a fun ride.

So what about an honest opinion on how the EHCS Eagles will stack up against the ECS Eagles...but this is funny ... I hope the only difference is the "H" in the name. I have not been able to find out anything about them...the Kasper player...is he a senior? a guard, forward, post? Is he surrounded by quality players...yall got beat by almost 30...are they that much better than you or did they catch you on a bad day?

What can you tell us?

Gman

I agree with 9aafan, Asitis, like I said in an earlier post I do like "Your style" do you have a son that remains on the team or a graduate this year? There are a number of us on this site that try to keep things positive...after all it is just a game. Thanks for the kind words about our kids...I think they try to play hard and are a good bunch of guys. Actually in this team there is a lot of love shown for sure this season...a lot of unselfish play (we have 6 players avg 10.1 - 12 pts a game)...and a genuine feeling that they enjoy playing with one another...it has and continues to be a fun ride.

So what about an honest opinion on how the EHCS Eagles will stack up against the ECS Eagles...but this is funny ... I hope the only difference is the "H" in the name. I have not been able to find out anything about them...the Kasper player...is he a senior? a guard, forward, post? Is he surrounded by quality players...yall got beat by almost 30...are they that much better than you or did they catch you on a bad day?

What can you tell us?

Gman

Steven Kaspar is a point guard for ECS. He had signed with Bucknell.

What can you tell us?

Gman

I may be wrong, but I think ECS (although a very good team), may have just had one of those weekends during the regional tournament. Noone was going to beat them in THAT gym, on THAT particular weekend. Going in to that week, looking at the season schedule and results, there was nothing that really pointed to an upcoming 30 point loss? We did not play very well, but they had a lot to do with that. I think the crowd was an issue and they have some very enthusiastic fans and students. It was just one of those things. They are a better TEAM than USJ, but player for player, we were not out-matched at any postion.

Like the previous poster stated, Kasper is a 6'-3" gaurd who handles the ball very well and just makes those around him better. Weaver is the one that lit us up for 28 or so but outside of a few, he was set up mainly by Kasper. He shoots really well so I am curious as to what happened with him against USN. Only had 2 or so I think? Bear with me on the names, but Armfield was another guard who seemed to be pretty sound and Teed was another. They did not seem to be a huge factor in our loss, but I'm sure they contributed silently and were just overshadowed the night we played them. Harrington is the man in the middle, but he's not that big I don't think.

That night was all about Kasper driving, dishing for easy buckets and countless 3's by Weaver (outside of an impressive dunk down the lane on a steal by Kasper).

They will press and go after every pass, ride the momentum and play very well together, which we all know can make good teams great.

I can only draw an opinion based on what I have seen and the scores of certain games that I have found. Our game against them was not a very good indication of how everyone stacks up in our district. ECS did not blow people out during the season like they did over that weekend, nor did they run all over USN like some (including myself) had thought they would.

All in all, I think you will match up better with them than people have boasted (including myself), and gettig them on a nuetral site will be an advantage. The two teams are similar in that you both play well together and no one seems to really care who scores as long as you win.

Good luck this week. I had planned on going.....but that didn't work out :roll:

I may be wrong, but I think ECS (although a very good team), may have just had one of those weekends during the regional tournament. Noone was going to beat them in THAT gym, on THAT particular weekend. Going in to that week, looking at the season schedule and results, there was nothing that really pointed to an upcoming 30 point loss? We did not play very well, but they had a lot to do with that. I think the crowd was an issue and they have some very enthusiastic fans and students. It was just one of those things. They are a better TEAM than USJ, but player for player, we were not out-matched at any postion.

Like the previous poster stated, Kasper is a 6'-3" gaurd who handles the ball very well and just makes those around him better. Weaver is the one that lit us up for 28 or so but outside of a few, he was set up mainly by Kasper. He shoots really well so I am curious as to what happened with him against USN. Only had 2 or so I think? Bear with me on the names, but Armfield was another guard who seemed to be pretty sound and Teed was another. They did not seem to be a huge factor in our loss, but I'm sure they contributed silently and were just overshadowed the night we played them. Harrington is the man in the middle, but he's not that big I don't think.

That night was all about Kasper driving, dishing for easy buckets and countless 3's by Weaver (outside of an impressive dunk down the lane on a steal by Kasper).

They will press and go after every pass, ride the momentum and play very well together, which we all know can make good teams great.

I can only draw an opinion based on what I have seen and the scores of certain games that I have found. Our game against them was not a very good indication of how everyone stacks up in our district. ECS did not blow people out during the season like they did over that weekend, nor did they run all over USN like some (including myself) had thought they would.

All in all, I think you will match up better with them than people have boasted (including myself), and gettig them on a nuetral site will be an advantage. The two teams are similar in that you both play well together and no one seems to really care who scores as long as you win.

Good luck this week. I had planned on going.....but that didn't work out :roll:

[

What can you tell us?

Gman

I was afraid that ECS depth was going to be a little much for you all-they are a very talented team, and when the 2nd 5 comes in, you can't see a drop off, and the pressure just keeps coming all night, it's tough to handle them with 6-7 kids.

I will say this - your kids showed a lot of class, toughness, and heart tonight. I saw them multiple times helping the ECS kids off the floor and they never seemed to get frustrated and ECS is a frustrating team to play.

Congrats on a great season - there were only 4 teams left playing today and to be one of those four is quite an accomplishment.

• 4 weeks later...

Al these were great predictions, but I could hav told you what would happen to DCA and FRA.. DCA is once again a story of how lousy coaching will run good talent into the ground, pressley Ramsey has to go or they will accomplish nothing... As for FRA their name sais it all they're just not good at winning

Al these were great predictions, but I could hav told you what would happen to DCA and FRA.. DCA is once again a story of how lousy coaching will run good talent into the ground, pressley Ramsey has to go or they will accomplish nothing... As for FRA their name sais it all they're just not good at winning

It is really sad because I have never heard any player say that they enjoyed playing for this man. I have seen a lot of players transfer to other schools or just give up the sport because of this coach. DCA had the best team they have had in several years and due to his coaching and treatment of his players he shot himself in the foot . It is a shame because DCA had a great team, and boys that enjoyed playing together.You are right Mozy11 they need to get rid of this man as a coach !!!