State Tourney officials stats for PF

joenmsusa

I will not name names...no need and not what I'm after. BUT, a few stats I found interesting:

Only 12 officials were used to call the 21 total games in four days. Most worked multiple games in a single day.

Six officials called six games. Of the six, five averaged more than 37.8 total fouls per game, more than one per minute.

One in particular had an average of 45.8 PF's called per game while another official with five games in the tourney had an average of 40.4 calls per game he worked.

The twenty-one game tournament averaged 37.7 PF's per game or one every 51.0 seconds.

It's easy to say, "don't foul" and normally I would agree. But these were, hopefully, the 24 best teams in the state. Are they really hackers?

A games appear to be most consistent, while calls in the AAA brackets went down the closer to the finals. In AA however, one semi-final game had 50 and the finals had 55 calls. 55 PF's or one every 34.9 seconds. In such a "physical" game, not one technical, not one angry reaction by a player, not one coaches warning. And yes, there are two common denominators in there.

My experience this year has been 24 or less calls is average in a regular season game. More importantly, it really did seem as though some of the officials were more concerned with being seen and appearing to be "in authority" than letting the kids and the game, within the rules, have center stage.

I'll say it again--great officials are never remembered (or discussed) by fans.

The "stats" would also simply indicate that players foul more when placed in a highly pressurized stage.

If you're expecting collegiate-type statistics, remind yourself that this is 16 and 17-year olds that are emulating collegiate and professional players. Physically and mentally these kids have yet to develop those tools.

The one common denominator that I took away from the 18 out of 21 games that I watched, was that the era of so-called basketball "discipline" and "fundamentalism" in all classes appears to be fading.

While it's no fun watching free throw shooting, it's worse watching a game filled with "uncalled" hacking, pushing and cheap shots...