Frank Bryant, 1991-119 State Champion killed in Afghanistan

Jackson

Frank Bryant,the 1991 119 lb State Champion from Karns High School was killed in Kabul, Afghanistan today. He graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1995 where he wrestled and was the team captain his senior year. Frank was a coach's dream. He was the wrestler a coach is always looking for. He had the same demeanor whether he won or did not win. In 1991 he was 57-1 and when he won his final match, a state championship, He reacted the same way he always had. He took off his headgear folded it in his left hand, shook hand with his opponent, came over and shook hands with me, for the first time that year allowed me to hug him, picked up his warm up and waited for the medal ceremony. He had done what he had worked so hard for, a state championship and an appointment to the Air Force Academy. I was truly blessed by having the opportunity to have coached Frank Bryant.

Dan Dugger

I am a fellow Air Force pilot who works with "Bruiser" as I know him here in Kabul. I could have easily died with him in that conference room. I've only known him the three months I've been deployed here, but he has had a very positive impact on me in that time. It does not surprise me that Bruiser was a state champion as he is still a hard charger who gets things done. He was one of the most effective officers I've met and is a great person. My heart breaks for his wife and young son. I know it doesn't help them much in this time of great grief, but they can be proud of the honorable way he served. With tear filled eyes, I can tell you Bruiser exemplified a true American Hero. It was a priveledge to serve with you Bruiser. RIP

I am a fellow Air Force pilot who works with "Bruiser" as I know him here in Kabul. I could have easily died with him in that conference room. I've only known him the three months I've been deployed here, but he has had a very positive impact on me in that time. It does not surprise me that Bruiser was a state champion as he is still a hard charger who gets things done. He was one of the most effective officers I've met and is a great person. My heart breaks for his wife and young son. I know it doesn't help them much in this time of great grief, but they can be proud of the honorable way he served. With tear filled eyes, I can tell you Bruiser exemplified a true American Hero. It was a priveledge to serve with you Bruiser. RIP

Flyguy, thank you so much for this insight to Frank. I watched him progress from a 90 lb freshman, who would walk down the middle of a crowded high school hallway, to win a state championship and be a fighter pilot. His freshman year he made it to through districts to regionals. He worked hard and his sophmore year he came within one match of making it to the state tournament. Between his sophmore year and his junior year he went to Ben Peterson's Camp Of Champions and his junior year he finished fifth in the state. He returned to Ben's Camp in the summer of 1990. While he was in camp, his Dad known affectionately as "Bear" went into the Canadian backcountry with a canoe, a Bible, and a week's supply of food, by himself. (Gives you an idea where he got his tenacity from.) He came back from the Camp of Champions with his goal being to win the 1991 119 lb Championship. Somewhere along the way his Dad bought two canoes and since they lived on Melton Hill lake they had a ready made place to use them. He and his Dad would paddle upstream for a mile, take the canoes out of the water and run back home carrying the canoes.

At the beginning of his senior year he ws in perfect wrestling condition. His day began with a workout at St. Mary's Fitness Center, then to school to run with the team, shower and eat breakfast, go to class, wrestling practice, and end with another work out at St. Mary's. At the beginning of the season he was undefeated until our first big tournament. He was pinned in 51 sec in the first period of the championship match. He did not get upset, he just went back to work. Frank did not loose another match during the regular season.

As we went into the tournament season he continued his work out regimine. His Dad's swim coach at UT was Ray Bussard. Ray was friends with the Air Force Academy wrestling coach. The Air Force Coach told Coach Bussard that if Frank won a state championship he would assure him an appointment to the Academy.

Frank breezed through the district, regional, and State tournament up to the Championship final. His opponent was the kid who pinned him in 51 sec at the beginning of the season. This kid had rarely gone beyond the first period the whole season in any match. During the state tournament we noticed that against better competition who took him to the second period he begin to wear down. I told Frank if we could get him into second period we could beat him. The match started with the kid taking Frank to his back in the first 30 seconds and holding him there for 90 seconds. I can still hear big Frank yelling. The period ended with Frank down 5-0. At the beginning of the second period the kid chose top, Frank got a reversal and back points. The score was 5-4 and the kid was sucking major air. We chose nuetral to begin the third and Frank took him to his back and pinned him and won the state championship. He stood up, took off his headgear and folded it in his left hand, as he did after every match, shook hands with the kid, turned and walked over to me to shake hands, I told a hand shake wouldn't work this time, I hugged him, he calmly picked up his warmups and waited for the awards ceremony. He ended the season 57-1.

I had a lot of good wrestlers, both before him and after him, but never another like him.

Frank Bryant,the 1991 119 lb State Champion from Karns High School was killed in Kabul, Afghanistan today. He graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1995 where he wrestled and was the team captain his senior year. Frank was a coach's dream. He was the wrestler a coach is always looking for. He had the same demeanor whether he won or did not win. In 1991 he was 57-1 and when he won his final match, a state championship, He reacted the same way he always had. He took off his headgear folded it in his left hand, shook hand with his opponent, came over and shook hands with me, for the first time that year allowed me to hug him, picked up his warm up and waited for the medal ceremony. He had done what he had worked so hard for, a state championship and an appointment to the Air Force Academy. I was truly blessed by having the opportunity to have coached Frank Bryant.

Dan Dugger

Dan,

My heart goes out to Frank Bryant's family and friends. What a great kid you got to coach. Our country is a much better place for having men like Frank serve this country with honor, dignity and character. What a blessing it must have been to have been a part of his life as a coach. Thank you for your service as a coach, for you touched the lives of many young men in a positive way. We as wrestling coaches are surrounded by some of the best student athletes this country has to offer. God bless Frank and his family.

Frank Simpson

Montgomery Bell Academy

Dan,

My heart goes out to Frank Bryant's family and friends. What a great kid you got to coach. Our country is a much better place for having men like Frank serve this country with honor, dignity and character. What a blessing it must have been to have been a part of his life as a coach. Thank you for your service as a coach, for you touched the lives of many young men in a positive way. We as wrestling coaches are surrounded by some of the best student athletes this country has to offer. God bless Frank and his family.

Frank Simpson

Montgomery Bell Academy

Thank you Frank. Frank Bryant was truly one of a kind. You are right it was a blessing and honor to have had the opportunity to coach him.

To the Bryant family,

My prayers are with you. What a great story and life he led. A great human being who lived life to the fullest by living his dream. His impact will not be felt by his state championship, it will be felt by our freedom. We are able to live the life we live and enjoy the pleasures of life because of men like Frank.

On behalf of my family and all who care to listen, thank you for your service and thank you for what you have done.

You are a hero to us all.

To the Bryant family,

My prayers are with you. What a great story and life he led. A great human being who lived life to the fullest by living his dream. His impact will not be felt by his state championship, it will be felt by our freedom. We are able to live the life we live and enjoy the pleasures of life because of men like Frank.

On behalf of my family and all who care to listen, thank you for your service and thank you for what you have done.

You are a hero to us all.

Amen!!

• 2 weeks later...