Vounteer vs Sullivan North

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea why Jordan Lawson isn't starting on defense. Joe marsh, Jesse simpson, Devin Rogers, and Joe green would have a roll a spot on my defense. A lot of wasted talent standing on the sidelines when the opposing team is driving the ball down the field. It's hard to win ballgames when you have to score 40 points to win.

I feel with the right play calling and the right people on the field Volunteer can surprise a few teams this season. We have the talent, just need the coaching and intensity that other teams have. If not playing the best players both ways all the time at least play them on key situations on defense to get the stop. I will say if the coaches do call a good game for Volunteer then the falcons will win.

Falcons 35

Golden Raiders 21

Edited by rogers4falcons

I have no idea why Jordan Lawson isn't starting on defense. Joe marsh, Jesse simpson, Devin Rogers, and Joe green would have a roll a spot on my defense. A lot of wasted talent standing on the sidelines when the opposing team is driving the ball down the field. It's hard to win ballgames when you have to score 40 points to win.

What's the word on Peyton Arnold? I know his dad and i think he's been kicked around for some reason. He's a big strong kid and i don't know why he's not on the field.

God forbid those current starters just rise to the challenge on defense... Success lies in the players' hands more than you think.

Devin Rogers can definitely catch the ball, and I feel if he did play the slot receiver role he would have huge amounts of yardage and td's and take a lot less of a beating then he does having to break 2 to 3 tackles to get out of the backfield. Peyton Arnold is a big strong kid that would definitely play both ways in my lineup.

As for the current players on defense stepping up to the challenge, the secondary is where the main problem is, I would have Sam Barton as a corner, Joe Green the other corner and Devin Rogers as safety. Linebackers I would add Jordan Lawson and Joe Marsh to the linebacker mix. Houston Harris would also see time as a corner on my defense.

I hope WaCo is wrong. I'd give anything for Unicoi to return to the glory days of .500 ball. lol. Yeah I know they had better programs back in the day. Hey I'll settle for 2 or 3 wins this year. At least that will be doubling last years outcome. Don't want to set the bar to high.

When were you're glory days at Unicoi?

I hope they do. I'm just saying those kids should get a shot too. Like you stated success lies in the players hands. If a player is not getting the job done then put another player in.

Preseason is a great chance to develop other players you may need as fatigue and injuries creep in during the season. Or maybe the coach knows what kind of toll being the featured back alone will take on his TB. Or maybe his plan is to pound other teams with his fresh tailback every series and wear down other team's two way players, making up for the talent gap on defense.

Point being: there's a solid reason somewhere in the method and those of us not viewing the ship from all angles won't always see it.

When were you're glory days at Unicoi?

I graduated in 1998. So mine were 1994-1997. I think 96 was the only year above .500, but 94 made playoffs with a 4-6 record and lost to Knox West. I think the 80's were good for the Devils though. I left for the Navy after I graduated and when I came back married a Sullivan South Rebel and moved to Johnson City so they may have had some good seasons, but I doubt it. I usually try to catch one home game a year still. I only played my freshman year cuz Lord knows I love my sports, but have no coordination to play them. Most know me as Chalk thanks to Coach Vance. Does anybody know if he is still at Kent State? He went to DB for about 8 years I think and then to the Golden Flashes.