Tennessee vs. Mississippi Football

tigerfan18

It has been a while since I have frequented this site as I once did. I have come back to ask the assistance of the seasoned posters, such as KWoodroof (one of my favorite contributors to read) comes to mind immediately. I posted this topic in Division II because I have had the most experience and exposure to private school play, however this applies to all major players. I was in a heated debate the other day about how good High School Football in Tennessee really is. We do not really get all the attention as some of the other states and I suppose its for (good?) reason.

A colleague of mine who attended a private school in Mississippi was going on and on about how great their football programs were, and how South Panola could beat most small colleges. I would like some of the more experienced and wise posters to help educate me a little and give me some ammo to help fight back for our state in this pride argument. I would say that the schools that are constantly towards the top of the pack, B.A. Ensworth, MBA, MUS would be able to compete with a lot of these other "powerhouse" schools. So overall how does Private MS schools compare to Private TN teams, Public vs. Public, and overall best teams compare.

Thanks, Tennessee Football Fan

It has been a while since I have frequented this site as I once did. I have come back to ask the assistance of the seasoned posters, such as KWoodroof (one of my favorite contributors to read) comes to mind immediately. I posted this topic in Division II because I have had the most experience and exposure to private school play, however this applies to all major players. I was in a heated debate the other day about how good High School Football in Tennessee really is. We do not really get all the attention as some of the other states and I suppose its for (good?) reason.

A colleague of mine who attended a private school in Mississippi was going on and on about how great their football programs were, and how South Panola could beat most small colleges. I would like some of the more experienced and wise posters to help educate me a little and give me some ammo to help fight back for our state in this pride argument. I would say that the schools that are constantly towards the top of the pack, B.A. Ensworth, MBA, MUS would be able to compete with a lot of these other "powerhouse" schools. So overall how does Private MS schools compare to Private TN teams, Public vs. Public, and overall best teams compare.

Thanks, Tennessee Football Fan

I played HS and college football in the state of Tennessee. I study a lot about high school football because it interests me when debates such as this arise. Mississippi has consistently produced the most NFL players per high school. In 2007 and 2008 Mississippi was voted as the overall best state for high school football by a national recruiting magazine.

Realistically, Tennessee is in the bottom half of high school football among other states. Mississippi is in the top 5-6 states. Based on some research and information such as # of Division 1 signees, players gone pro and national rankings. Here is my opinion the breakdown of high school football state by state. Their are 4 groups within each group there is not particular order.

#1 Georgia, Texas, Arizona, California, Florida, Mississippi, Ohio, South Carolina, Illinois, Maryland, Alabama, Pennsylvania

#2 Oklahoma, Washington, Kentucky, Missouri, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Arkansas, Massachusetts, Louisiana

#3 Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin, Kansas, Michigan, Indiana, West Virginia, Utah, Colorado, Delaware, Connecticut,Nevada, Iowa, Nebraska

#4 Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Hawaii, South Dakota, North Dakota, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Alaska,Vermont, Minnesota

A colleague of mine who attended a private school in Mississippi was going on and on about how great their football programs were, and how South Panola could beat most small colleges.

Boy, Gulfport must be a very strong small college. USP is down this year. It looks like MS's best team is not even in the largest class, Lafayette(just beat ECA 35-34). ECA got trounced by Tulsa Union the week before 21-0. Let's compare:

MS top 5: Lafayette,Olive Branch,Meridian,Picayune,USP

TN top 5: Ensworth,Maryville,Riverdale,Baylor,Siegel

I think our top 5 would do favorably against MS's top 5. This year TN is a bit down. I would say that both TN and MS are top 30(for states nationally) this year. Usually, TN is a top 20 state. Since Alcoa is down this year TN gets bumped into the 20-30 range, but still slightly better than MS.

This year's top 10(so far):

1. TX

2. FL

3. CA

4. OH

***top 4 are usually the same every year(TX,CA,FL rotate every year between 1 & 3)

5. GA

6. SC

7. NJ

8. LA

9. PA

10. WA

I played HS and college football in the state of Tennessee. I study a lot about high school football because it interests me when debates such as this arise. Mississippi has consistently produced the most NFL players per high school. In 2007 and 2008 Mississippi was voted as the overall best state for high school football by a national recruiting magazine.

Realistically, Tennessee is in the bottom half of high school football among other states. Mississippi is in the top 5-6 states. Based on some research and information such as # of Division 1 signees, players gone pro and national rankings. Here is my opinion the breakdown of high school football state by state. Their are 4 groups within each group there is not particular order.

Div I signees,# of NFL players, etc are a part of it, but not totally. How the TEAMS perform has to be the most important factor in determining top states overall. I've seen so many teams come in with all this Div I talent and get trounced by a team with a good coach and system. Take Glenville,OH for example. They are loaded with talent all over the field every year, but they have yet to win a state title(terrible coaching). They always lose to a more disciplined team.

TN might be bottom half this year(20-30 range), but on the cusp. They are usually TOP half.