Farragut during the Open Date

Former44

Over the next 2 weeks:

1. To take pressure off the inside run game, Farragut MUST work diligently on some type of perimeter run to force the opposing defense to defend the C and D gaps. (At the very least, force them to acknowledge that C and D actually exist!)

Perfect the speed option. Big plays will result (inside and outside) for Rule, Johnson, and Fain. This could be especially effective from the unbalanced set with two backs – split the field in half – the defense would not be able to determine play direction so easily from formation. (Remember Cody, on the pitch, thumb under – throw that thumb at your target!)

2. If Farragut is going to run 2 Tights, I suggest getting #18 Jetton some snaps at TE. This offense needs a TE that is rangy enough to run the seam route and catch the football, but also physical enough to block from 2 Tights (a la Madison Brown). If the defense knows the TE can hurt them in the passing game, it will make him an even more effective blocker. I know Jetton is crucial to the defense, and I wouldn’t want to wear him down, but I truly believe 18 could help the team getting some snaps at TE.

In addition, a big play threat back at TE will certainly make it a lot tougher to Safety double the WRs.

Over the next 2 weeks:

1. To take pressure off the inside run game, Farragut MUST work diligently on some type of perimeter run to force the opposing defense to defend the C and D gaps. (At the very least, force them to acknowledge that C and D actually exist!)

Perfect the speed option. Big plays will result (inside and outside) for Rule, Johnson, and Fain. This could be especially effective from the unbalanced set with two backs – split the field in half – the defense would not be able to determine play direction so easily from formation. (Remember Cody, on the pitch, thumb under – throw that thumb at your target!)

2. If Farragut is going to run 2 Tights, I suggest getting #18 Jetton some snaps at TE. This offense needs a TE that is rangy enough to run the seam route and catch the football, but also physical enough to block from 2 Tights (a la Madison Brown). If the defense knows the TE can hurt them in the passing game, it will make him an even more effective blocker. I know Jetton is crucial to the defense, and I wouldn’t want to wear him down, but I truly believe 18 could help the team getting some snaps at TE.

In addition, a big play threat back at TE will certainly make it a lot tougher to Safety double the WRs.

Your recommendations are right on. Unfortunately even if the Farragut coaching staff reads your thoughts they still will not deviate from running the same plays over and over again regardless if they are successful or not. They still may win against some lesser teams with this scheme but will not even have a chance against a team like Riverdale or Maryville. I think they have the talent to perform a lot better than what we have seen. My opinion, if they were coached by a more creative Quarles or Rankin type of coach they would be 5-0 and would have won every game by a larger margin and would have a better chance of beating Maryville. In spite of the unimpressive coaching the team's talent has them in position for 2nd place in the district.

Your recommendations are right on. Unfortunately even if the Farragut coaching staff reads your thoughts they still will not deviate from running the same plays over and over again regardless if they are successful or not. They still may win against some lesser teams with this scheme but will not even have a chance against a team like Riverdale or Maryville. I think they have the talent to perform a lot better than what we have seen. My opinion, if they were coached by a more creative Quarles or Rankin type of coach they would be 5-0 and would have won every game by a larger margin and would have a better chance of beating Maryville. In spite of the unimpressive coaching the team's talent has them in position for 2nd place in the district.

Good post.

I really can't understand why the speed option has disappeared entirely from the playbook(I just saw the Vandy QB go to the house untouched running speed option from 2 Tights). I know there was a costly mistake against DB. However, that usually means you practice it and get better, rather than drop it completely.

Edited by Former44