McMinn County's Three Mat Generations

bbb

Wrestling coaches who have the good fortune to coach their sons is not an uncommon occurrence across Tennessee as the coaching list includes Gordon Connell, Jim Morgan, Frank Simpson, G.P. West, Bill Brimer, Rodney Cash, Doug Newman, Mike Newman and many others.

But longtime McMinn County head coach Dave Stoika is on a very short list of coaches mentoring two generations, as he once instructed his sons to victory and now has a grandson wearing the Cherokee Black and Gold.

In the 1990s, coach Stoika had sons Brian (’93) and Tim (’96) on the same team for one year – that being 1993 – when the Cherokees defeated Soddy Daisy in a District 3 dual match which led to a spot in the region duals before losing to eventual state champion McCallie.

Today, Tim’s son Ryan, is a ninth grader at McMinn County and is second on the depth chart behind Josh Steppe at 132.

“I started wrestling in the local AAU program when I was five-years-old and have followed McMinn Country wrestling for several years so I am familiar with my grandfather’s style of coaching and what he expects,†Ryan stated.

Coach Stoika admits that he has high expectations for members of his family and was too tough on Brian – a four-year starter – early on but learned to back off some with Tim and now Ryan.

Brian agrees that, “he was pretty tough on me, but hopefully it made me a better wrestler in the long run.â€

“We are family, so I do expect more from Stoika wrestlers,†coach Stoika stated who also has a second grandson, Caleb, (Brian’s son) who is a sophomore wrestling for Eric Phillips’ Cleveland Blue Raiders.

“Yes it is great to have coached my sons and now to have my grandson Ryan in the program for the next four years is special,†said Stoika who starts his 28th season as head coach next week as the Cherokees take on Cumberland County and Stone Memorial in a double dual.

The 57-year-old Stoika, who wrestled for former NCAA champion James Craig at Oak Lawn (Ill.) Community High School, points to the 1993 season as one of the programs best years.

“We have had big wins against arch rival McMinn Central over the years and have won our McMinn Duals several times, but to have a victory against an established program such as Soddy Daisy in 1993 and a 42-40 win against Cleveland in 1998 are definitely a high points in my career,†Stoika said.

Tim Stoika was a ninth grader that season and led off with a 6-3 victory against David Jenkins at 103 in the win against Steve Henry’s Trojans. The Cherokees claimed the first four weights for a 15-0 lead and never looked back.

While that was a match to remember, Tim noted that winning two matches at the state tournament in 1995 was a highlight as well.

“I lost my opening match to the eventual state runner-up (Chris Cicora, Davey Crockett) who then pulled me the consolation rounds. I then beat Shannon Shayne (Knox Halls) who would win his first of two state crowns two years later and Barrett Fisher of Notre Dame.

“I fell one match short of being in the medal round as I lost to Stan Gregory of Red Bank in overtime (4-4, 5-0) in the consolation quarters.â€

Brian points to a win against county rival McMinn Central as a highlight.

“My freshman year (1990) we tied them 33-33 in the first of two meetings and I was able to beat their senior captain Patrick Solsbee after he had predicted a win against me to one of our local sports writers.â€

Unfinished Business: While coach Stoika has memorable wins in the last 27 seasons, a traditional tournament championship trophy would be a good addition to the school’s trophy case.

“We have won dual tournaments, but never a traditional, “he stated. “I would like to win at least one before I retire in a few years.

“We graduate only a few seniors this year and have a strong junior class so we should be in contention for a title hopefully at the Chattanooga Christian tournament (Dec. 17).â€

Talented Cherokee Wrestlers:

Todd Humbert: “My best wrestler in 28 years at McMinn County.†… four-time region champ … only freshman region champ in school history … career leader in wins (108).

Shazzon Bradley: two-time state heavyweight champion.

“One opponent walked on the mat at the state tournament and immediately forfeited to Shazzon,†said Stoika with a laugh. “The big guy was that intimidating.â€

Girl State Champion: In 2009, Kelsey Hampton won the 112-pound girls’ state title and beat a few boys during the season, including two pins against her Brainerd male foe … “Kelsey was a good one and a pleasure to coach.â€

Dave Stoika Bio

Oak Lawn (Ill.) Community High School … wrestled four years … graduated 1972 … record: 33-22-8 wrestling at 95, 98 and 112.

High School Coach: James Craig, former NCAA champion at Iowa

College: Eastern Illinois Univ. … intramural champion at 126 lbs. In 1977

McMinn County HS: 28th season as head wrestling coach and teaches AP History … has hosted the McMinn Duals since 1989 ... one of the state’s oldest duals tournaments.

Contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

also posted on chattanoogan.com

Happy Thanksgiving !!

• Upvote 1

Wrestling coaches who have the good fortune to coach their sons is not an uncommon occurrence across Tennessee as the coaching list includes Gordon Connell, Jim Morgan, Frank Simpson, G.P. West, Bill Brimer, Rodney Cash, Doug Newman, Mike Newman and many others.

But longtime McMinn County head coach Dave Stoika is on a very short list of coaches mentoring two generations, as he once instructed his sons to victory and now has a grandson wearing the Cherokee Black and Gold.

In the 1990s, coach Stoika had sons Brian (’93) and Tim (’96) on the same team for one year – that being 1993 – when the Cherokees defeated Soddy Daisy in a District 3 dual match which led to a spot in the region duals before losing to eventual state champion McCallie.

Today, Tim’s son Ryan, is a ninth grader at McMinn County and is second on the depth chart behind Josh Steppe at 132.

“I started wrestling in the local AAU program when I was five-years-old and have followed McMinn Country wrestling for several years so I am familiar with my grandfather’s style of coaching and what he expects,†Ryan stated.

Coach Stoika admits that he has high expectations for members of his family and was too tough on Brian – a four-year starter – early on but learned to back off some with Tim and now Ryan.

Brian agrees that, “he was pretty tough on me, but hopefully it made me a better wrestler in the long run.â€

“We are family, so I do expect more from Stoika wrestlers,†coach Stoika stated who also has a second grandson, Caleb, (Brian’s son) who is a sophomore wrestling for Eric Phillips’ Cleveland Blue Raiders.

“Yes it is great to have coached my sons and now to have my grandson Ryan in the program for the next four years is special,†said Stoika who starts his 28th season as head coach next week as the Cherokees take on Cumberland County and Stone Memorial in a double dual.

The 57-year-old Stoika, who wrestled for former NCAA champion James Craig at Oak Lawn (Ill.) Community High School, points to the 1993 season as one of the programs best years.

“We have had big wins against arch rival McMinn Central over the years and have won our McMinn Duals several times, but to have a victory against an established program such as Soddy Daisy in 1993 and a 42-40 win against Cleveland in 1998 are definitely a high points in my career,†Stoika said.

Tim Stoika was a ninth grader that season and led off with a 6-3 victory against David Jenkins at 103 in the win against Steve Henry’s Trojans. The Cherokees claimed the first four weights for a 15-0 lead and never looked back.

While that was a match to remember, Tim noted that winning two matches at the state tournament in 1995 was a highlight as well.

“I lost my opening match to the eventual state runner-up (Chris Cicora, Davey Crockett) who then pulled me the consolation rounds. I then beat Shannon Shayne (Knox Halls) who would win his first of two state crowns two years later and Barrett Fisher of Notre Dame.

“I fell one match short of being in the medal round as I lost to Stan Gregory of Red Bank in overtime (4-4, 5-0) in the consolation quarters.â€

Brian points to a win against county rival McMinn Central as a highlight.

“My freshman year (1990) we tied them 33-33 in the first of two meetings and I was able to beat their senior captain Patrick Solsbee after he had predicted a win against me to one of our local sports writers.â€

Unfinished Business: While coach Stoika has memorable wins in the last 27 seasons, a traditional tournament championship trophy would be a good addition to the school’s trophy case.

“We have won dual tournaments, but never a traditional, “he stated. “I would like to win at least one before I retire in a few years.

“We graduate only a few seniors this year and have a strong junior class so we should be in contention for a title hopefully at the Chattanooga Christian tournament (Dec. 17).â€

Talented Cherokee Wrestlers:

Todd Humbert: “My best wrestler in 28 years at McMinn County.†… four-time region champ … only freshman region champ in school history … career leader in wins (108).

Shazzon Bradley: two-time state heavyweight champion.

“One opponent walked on the mat at the state tournament and immediately forfeited to Shazzon,†said Stoika with a laugh. “The big guy was that intimidating.â€

Girl State Champion: In 2009, Kelsey Hampton won the 112-pound girls’ state title and beat a few boys during the season, including two pins against her Brainerd male foe … “Kelsey was a good one and a pleasure to coach.â€

Dave Stoika Bio

Oak Lawn (Ill.) Community High School … wrestled four years … graduated 1972 … record: 33-22-8 wrestling at 95, 98 and 112.

High School Coach: James Craig, former NCAA champion at Iowa

College: Eastern Illinois Univ. … intramural champion at 126 lbs. In 1977

McMinn County HS: 28th season as head wrestling coach and teaches AP History … has hosted the McMinn Duals since 1989 ... one of the state’s oldest duals tournaments.

Contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

also posted on chattanoogan.com

Happy Thanksgiving !!

Nice article. Have known Coach Stoika for awhile. Great story!