Liberty student/basketball palyer dies after wreck

LadyDevils

A junior at Liberty Technology Magnet High School died on Saturday due to injuries she suffered in a one-vehicle accident on Friday night.

According to Madison County Sheriff David Woolfork, 17-year-old Shuntarius Sinclair was one of three passengers in a 2002 GMC crew-cab pickup driven by Markarios D. Curry, 37, of Jackson.

Woolfork said the accident occurred in the 900 block of Perry Switch Road.

"Mr. Curry was driving west on Perry Switch Road when a deer apparently ran into his path and went through the front windshield and out the back glass," he said.

Woolfork said the deer struck Sinclair in the face and also injured Curry and the other two passengers, 17-year-old Dominique Davis and 15-year-old Daniel Hutch.

Woolfork said Curry, Davis and Hutch were treated and released after all four were transported to Jackson-Madison County General Hospital via ambulance.

"The deceased was transported to Vanderbilt, where she later died," Woolfork said.

Woolfork said the accident is still under investigation, and speeding and alcohol could have contributed to the accident.

Sinclair was a former player for the girls' basketball team at Liberty.

Lady Crusaders basketball coach Jennifer Hicks asked Lisa Clement, former chaplain for the athletic department at Lambuth University, to talk to her players at practice Saturday morning.

"Shuntarius was friends with a lot of the girls on the team, and they're obviously affected by this," said Hicks, who is in her first year coaching the Lady Crusaders. "She was like a sister to some of the girls.

"She had a good personality, and her friends had fun with her. It's a real tragedy when someone so young dies this way."

Kevin Weeks was the Lady Crusaders' coach last season, and he said he received numerous voice-mails and text messages letting him know Sinclair had died.

"Shuntarius was a girl that worked hard to be successful," Weeks said. "We had a good team last year, and she was the first player that came off the bench.

"She played a key role for us during games, and she was one that was close with just about everyone else on the team."

Weeks remembered Sinclair fondly but admitted she could give him attitude at times.

"There'd be times in practice Shuntarius would make me smile, then there'd be times she'd make me roll my eyes or she'd roll her eyes at me," Weeks said. "But she was always there for her teammates and was an important part of the success we had.

"But the basketball aspect of it is so unimportant because we lost a human being way too soon. Shuntarius wasn't a very outspoken person, but I'm sure she had plenty of hopes and dreams. None of those will be fulfilled now, and it just makes you wonder about some of these things."

To the players at Liberty:

I along with others in the State read with sorrow what had happened to your good friend and teammate. One never knows when unexpected things like this will happen. Your reaction over something like this can effect you many ways. One thing for sure there are many students each year, for one reason or another, lose friends they have had for too short a time and can only wonder why something would happen. There is really not an answer but if you look around you, you can see the impact of a good friend on so many people that knew her. Each of your reaction will mean a lot to others who knew her. You are sad and it is expected you be so. After some time your thoughts of "what would I have done in the same situation she was in" will come to your mind. You might find its difficult to know in the same circumstances. After thinking about seat belts and other things to protect ones self you might come to a realization that no one is without being in danger and life unexpectedly can be short. It is best to be of strength to each other. Friends need friends.

Remember the good things about your friend. Remember your God took her for a reason. Keep your life, so if anything were to happen to you, you will be ready to meet your maker. We are very sorry.

• Upvote 1