Len Dugger out as Elizabethton's girls coach

limestonecove

Just noted in the tri county 7 thread, with a link to a breaking story in the JC Press. Eliz fires its boys coach Gordon; Dugger takes his job and Wilson takes his old job back coaching the girls team.

Very strange to do this a month into the season. No real reason given.

Dugger lobbied for the boys job in the off-season (after turning it down prior to Gordon's hiring in 2010), so now he's got it.

What's going on in Etown?

Just noted in the tri county 7 thread, with a link to a breaking story in the JC Press. Eliz fires its boys coach Gordon; Dugger takes his job and Wilson takes his old job back coaching the girls team.

Very strange to do this a month into the season. No real reason given.

Dugger lobbied for the boys job in the off-season (after turning it down prior to Gordon's hiring in 2010), so now he's got it.

What's going on in Etown?

I don't know everything that's going on, but one thing I do know is the ECS administration has made a festuche out of this one. Dugger didn't lobby for the boys' job in the off season as you say (others wanted him). Had he done so, he would have been given the job then. The administration has been looking to dump Gordon since the summer for some reason (I personally don't know the specific reason(s)). Dugger wanted the boys' job when Marty Street was hired several years back and was basically told he would never coach in the ECS system again. Alexander finally relented and gave Len the the girls' job but only after Weems had left at the beginning of a school year and no decent outside prospects were available. After having success with the girls and with a monster girls' team returning, the boys' job came open two years ago and Len turned it down. I don't know the rationale and cannot begin to understand the timing at all, but from what I have heard today this change was DIRECTED from the top. As for Gordon, I don't know any details, but there have apparently been issues between him and the administration for a while now. From what I gather the major issue was behavioral. Obviously there was a performance element as well since the team has a lot of talent and this hasn't translated into wins. But based on the timing of the move, I believe the overwhelming issue was one of behavior and/or conduct. Unfortunately, the kids on both teams are now suffering. It appears to me the ECS director just sent a message to the girls' team (and community) that the boys' program is more important. Otherwise, why would he not give the girls' coach the option to stay with the team he built and find a different boys' coach if he was inclined to make a change? Why create turmoil in both programs simultaneously? Both Dugger and Wilson are good coaches but there will not be an instant fix with the boys and both teams will likely be a state of flux for the remainder of the season because of how this was handled. Dugger and his staff doesn't really even know the boys' personnel let alone the offensive and defensive schemes they ran under Gordon. Wilson is a competent coach, but I have my doubts about his effectiveness with the girls because he has a degenerative eye disease and can barely see. To make a long story longer, I don't know what's going on in Etown! But I do have a few words for the ECS administration. They are, "Here's ya sign!"

Edited by etownsparky

I blame Wilson for this one. He obviously didn't take the time to check Gordons background before hiring him.The only winning season the guy ever had was at the University School in 2003,Not to mention had alot of trouble diciplining players and controlling his temper. All in all this was just a big mess from the start and I think there was no research on this decision and it would be once again all on his shoulders if doesn't take the time to find a good "basketball coach" and not who fits the system for the Elizabethton program

I don't know everything that's going on, but one thing I do know is the ECS administration has made a festuche out of this one. Dugger didn't lobby for the boys' job in the off season as you say (others wanted him). Had he done so, he would have been given the job then. The administration has been looking to dump Gordon since the summer for some reason (I personally don't know the specific reason(s)). Dugger wanted the boys' job when Marty Street was hired several years back and was basically told he would never coach in the ECS system again. Alexander finally relented and gave Len the the girls' job but only after Weems had left at the beginning of a school year and no decent outside prospects were available. After having success with the girls and with a monster girls' team returning, the boys' job came open two years ago and Len turned it down. I don't know the rationale and cannot begin to understand the timing at all, but from what I have heard today this change was DIRECTED from the top. As for Gordon, I don't know any details, but there have apparently been issues between him and the administration for a while now. From what I gather the major issue was behavioral. Obviously there was a performance element as well since the team has a lot of talent and this hasn't translated into wins. But based on the timing of the move, I believe the overwhelming issue was one of behavior and/or conduct. Unfortunately, the kids on both teams are now suffering. It appears to me the ECS director just sent a message to the girls' team (and community) that the boys' program is more important. Otherwise, why would he not give the girls' coach the option to stay with the team he built and find a different boys' coach if he was inclined to make a change? Why create turmoil in both programs simultaneously? Both Dugger and Wilson are good coaches but there will not be an instant fix with the boys and both teams will likely be a state of flux for the remainder of the season because of how this was handled. Dugger and his staff doesn't really even know the boys' personnel let alone the offensive and defensive schemes they ran under Gordon. Wilson is a competent coach, but I have my doubts about his effectiveness with the girls because he has a degenerative eye disease and can barely see. To make a long story longer, I don't know what's going on in Etown! But I do have a few words for the ECS administration. They are, "Here's ya sign!"

I actually agree with everything you posted except for the part about Len not wanting the boys job this off season. Why else did he interview for the HV job (known fact) this past spring? No doubt something behavioral happened to hasten Gordon's firing. It is also no secret that Wilson has missed coaching and wanted the girls job when it came open. It is a mess and not fair to the kids. So does Wilson inherit Gordons boys staff to help him coach girls? Your post implies that Len will take the girls assts with him to coach boys. The assts have been hired for this season so they will have to be paid. How will that be handled?

I actually agree with everything you posted except for the part about Len not wanting the boys job this off season. Why else did he interview for the HV job (known fact) this past spring? No doubt something behavioral happened to hasten Gordon's firing. It is also no secret that Wilson has missed coaching and wanted the girls job when it came open. It is a mess and not fair to the kids. So does Wilson inherit Gordons boys staff to help him coach girls? Your post implies that Len will take the girls assts with him to coach boys. The assts have been hired for this season so they will have to be paid. How will that be handled?

Implying that Len "interviewed" for the HV boys' job last spring is misleading. I know he talked with HV about a position at their request. However, I believe this was primarily because several folks in positions of authority at HV kept pursuing these discussions with him. However, in order for someone to interview for a job, there first must be an opening. As far as I know, the HV boys' head coaching job has NEVER been open. I think the hope of the HV administration was that Len would maybe show interest if solicited and they could somehow use that as leverage to finally force Bayless to give it up. The current dynamic at HV is such that no one within the Carter Co. School System has the political guts to get rid of Bayless even though everyone knows it would be best for the program. Consequently, Bayless will likely remain a fixture at HV until he dies at which time they will likely remove the warrior at center court and bury him underneath. Besides, for Len to take that job would mean a pay cut and I seriously doubt he has an interest in that at all! I still maintain that if Len wanted the EHS boys' job this summer, he could have taken it then.

I don't know the specifics, but I do believe there will be some swapping of the existing assistants including some of the girls' assistants coming over to the boys and possibly others staying. I think the same may be true on the boys' side. I haven't heard for sure which ones are going where and which ones are staying put.

Edited by etownsparky

I blame Wilson for this one. He obviously didn't take the time to check Gordons background before hiring him.The only winning season the guy ever had was at the University School in 2003,Not to mention had alot of trouble diciplining players and controlling his temper. All in all this was just a big mess from the start and I think there was no research on this decision and it would be once again all on his shoulders if doesn't take the time to find a good "basketball coach" and not who fits the system for the Elizabethton program

I'm sure there is enough blame to go around on this one. Sure, Wilson deserves some of the blame because in the end Gordon was not a good fit for th EHS program. I won't debate his credentials or coaching tactics/ability. However, I will just say that in my opinion his personality did NOT fit. On the other hand, there were few applicants for the job and really no good choices when Gordon was hired. Gordon wasn't Wilson's first choice. Although I don't know the comprehensive list of all who applied, I do know that Wilson wanted Len Dugger first. Once he turned it down, Wilson pursued both Ned Smith and Donald Ensor and neither of those panned out. In the end, there were few names left on the list and apparently Gordon appeared to be the best of the rest at the time. Hind sight is 20/20, but the boys' program had declined so much at that point and the political environment within the ECS system was such at that time (and still is) that it is difficult to attract a quality coach.

I wish Tony Gordon the best of luck. He stepped into a tough situation and it evidently blew up. I have no idea why the decision was made at this time. I assume from reading the paper that it wasn't his decision but the director of schools. Mike Wilson is a quality person and I doubt that he would hire Gordon so he could eventually get the girls job. The question is "What happens from here?". Elizabethton girls will be fine and Len is a natural fit for the boys. After a period of adjustment all will be fine.

Edited by 3rfan