Stat Keeping

richlandraiderdad

How do most schools handle stat keeping? Do you keep scrimmages, tournaments, regular/post season all together? Or just regular season, minus the others. Would love to here input..

Last year we kept two sets of stats... ALL (scrimmages, tournaments, season and post season) and then kept just regular season.. I know some keep district stats only?

I know stats are what they are, and only as good or worth very little. I am just a numbers guy and interested what the masses do.

Thanks

How do most schools handle stat keeping? Do you keep scrimmages, tournaments, regular/post season all together? Or just regular season, minus the others. Would love to here input..

Last year we kept two sets of stats... ALL (scrimmages, tournaments, season and post season) and then kept just regular season.. I know some keep district stats only?

I know stats are what they are, and only as good or worth very little. I am just a numbers guy and interested what the masses do.

Thanks

My wife is a statistician by trade and keeps stats on everything. I will get her to reply. I am pretty sure she can break it out into a million different variables.

Last year we had it for regular season, district games and post season.

-Robbie

My husband is correct - I keep just about anything you would want in stats. My concern is that how others are marking a hit, error and fielder's choice. Some schools may have inflated numbers, not intentional of course. And, thank you to all the parents that step up and do this job, 'cause the task doesn't end at the ball field.

The specific numbers I figure are batting average, slugging percentage, on base percentage and fielding percent. I also determine the ERA for our pitchers. I break down all parts of the season - however, pre-season scrimmages are never totaled in with any of the other numbers. I created an excel spreadsheet that does everything including figure our teams wining percentage.

My husband is correct - I keep just about anything you would want in stats. My concern is that how others are marking a hit, error and fielder's choice. Some schools may have inflated numbers, not intentional of course. And, thank you to all the parents that step up and do this job, 'cause the task doesn't end at the ball field.

The specific numbers I figure are batting average, slugging percentage, on base percentage and fielding percent. I also determine the ERA for our pitchers. I break down all parts of the season - however, pre-season scrimmages are never totaled in with any of the other numbers. I created an excel spreadsheet that does everything including figure our teams wining percentage.

I use excel(2010) to do the same i would like to get other people programs and compare to the one i made up if you are intrested email to slybigbuck@aol.com

I use excel(2010) to do the same i would like to get other people programs and compare to the one i made up if you are intrested email to slybigbuck@aol.com

This is the fith year I have used a "package program" called "Turbo Stats" (hope that doesn't violate any posting rules...). It has made the issue of stats so much easier, but there are several quality programs on the market.

I keep the game on a Palm Pilot and when I get home, download and bang! In three minutes I can print a box score, scoresheets and a running play-by-play. Better than that, it keeps all the running stats for the year and I can break it out by preseason, tournament, post season, regular season, district, etc.

It is much more indepth than I need; you could keep hundreds of teams and thousands of games if you were running a league. I just don't need that much power, working with one team.

Having played with excel, I'll bet you've got one that will work just as well. It's all that programing the macros that drives me nuts.

I apologize for original post. My question was more in fact of when do you actually start collecting stats for the season, not methodology that you use to keep the stats. I have used Turbo Stats, Excel, IScore, GameChanger, etc..? Kind of like if there is an umpire do you keep the stats for tha annual total, even though it is a tournament or playday or do you wait until season actually starts to start official stats? Or Stats just from district games, etc.

I apologize for original post. My question was more in fact of when do you actually start collecting stats for the season, not methodology that you use to keep the stats. I have used Turbo Stats, Excel, IScore, GameChanger, etc..? Kind of like if there is an umpire do you keep the stats for tha annual total, even though it is a tournament or playday or do you wait until season actually starts to start official stats? Or Stats just from district games, etc.

Typically I'll keep "unofficial stats" for pre-season, play days, scrimmages, etc., for the coaches. Once the opening scheduled game starts, I keep a separate running set that can be broken into season, district, post-season, etc. At the end of the year I'll let the coach decide if they want to include the "pre-season" stuff. Only had one take me up on it. Of course, this is our fourth new head coach in four years, so......

I keep stats for the preseason, but I do not count it in my season totals. Once the season starts, I include all stats up to and including post season tournaments.

Thanks

Our school's pre-season (scrimmage) stats are not totalled with other games. Tournament stats are included, however. I agree with another poster that stated how much really goes into "keeping the book" and one that should not be taken lightly. There are books and web-sites that offer tips and suggestions about rulings, etc. Our boosters bought an ipad last year and purchased an app called "espn iscore" and it is a life-saver! Totals everything for you and stats can be uploaded directly to your computer and/or unapproved website. I highly recommend it.