How should you judge the success of your program?

BallFan44

I found this in an article from the Nashvillesports.net.

Does your Coaching Staff put any effort into getting kids to College? Or are the only worried about wins, losses and their legacy? I think Pearl-Cohn has done it the right way! What about your School?

Pearl-Cohn is City's Most Successful Football Program

Some high school football programs measure success by number of wins and championships, but at Nashville’s Pearl-Cohn High School, they have a different idea of success. Their goal is to get kids college scholarship money. By that standard, Pearl-Cohn is the most successful program in Nashville. This year’s NCAA national signing day saw Pearl-Cohn’s football program have 10 kids sign letters of intent with colleges or universities meaning they were getting scholarship money. Metro Nashville Public Schools had 19 students sign and over half played football at Pearl-Cohn. Pearl-Cohn has had over 70 players sign over the last 7 years.

Why is Pearl-Cohn so successful? Coach Tony Brunetti. Brunetti came on board at Pearl-Cohn in 2002, when he became an assistant coach under the legendary Maurice Fitzgerald. Brunetti became defensive coordinator the following year, and in 2006 was named Head Coach when Fitzgerald retired.

Fitzgerald had given Brunetti the power to handle the recruits, and Brunetti began to learn the ropes.

Brunetti said in an interview with SportsNashville.net, “I learned how to burn tape, to edit and cut. I began sending tapes, calling, talking, hustling, and building relationships.â€

When asked how important it is to him to get kids to college he said, “ I made a promise to myself that when I was in a position to help kids, I was going to help them. I’m going to do the extra work to find a way to get them to school.’

Recent SEMO signee Darrius Darden- Box agrees saying, “ Coach Brunetti did 75 -80% of the work to get me a scholarship.â€

Asked what is the key to his accomplishments, Brunetti said, “ It takes a lot of time and effort, and a lot of schools don’t have the time. When a kid comes to me as a freshman, I show them a plan, what it takes to get a scholarship. If they follow my plan, stay with me four years and don’t get in trouble, they will graduate. Even if they don’t get a scholarship, they’ll be ready to go to school.â€

Brunetti added, “There’s a lot more to this than X’s and O’s. I’m very involved, along with the guidance counselors. I look at their grades, I watch their schedules, make sure they’re taking the right classes. At Pearl-Cohn we work just as hard for the kid going to a small school as the one going to a D-I school. “The bottom line is you’re going to win and lose games, but I love seeing young men go to school.â€

I found this in an article from the Nashvillesports.net.

Does your Coaching Staff put any effort into getting kids to College? Or are the only worried about wins, losses and their legacy? I think Pearl-Cohn has done it the right way! What about your School?

Pearl-Cohn is City's Most Successful Football Program

Some high school football programs measure success by number of wins and championships, but at Nashville’s Pearl-Cohn High School, they have a different idea of success. Their goal is to get kids college scholarship money. By that standard, Pearl-Cohn is the most successful program in Nashville. This year’s NCAA national signing day saw Pearl-Cohn’s football program have 10 kids sign letters of intent with colleges or universities meaning they were getting scholarship money. Metro Nashville Public Schools had 19 students sign and over half played football at Pearl-Cohn. Pearl-Cohn has had over 70 players sign over the last 7 years.

Why is Pearl-Cohn so successful? Coach Tony Brunetti. Brunetti came on board at Pearl-Cohn in 2002, when he became an assistant coach under the legendary Maurice Fitzgerald. Brunetti became defensive coordinator the following year, and in 2006 was named Head Coach when Fitzgerald retired.

Fitzgerald had given Brunetti the power to handle the recruits, and Brunetti began to learn the ropes.

Brunetti said in an interview with SportsNashville.net, “I learned how to burn tape, to edit and cut. I began sending tapes, calling, talking, hustling, and building relationships.â€

When asked how important it is to him to get kids to college he said, “ I made a promise to myself that when I was in a position to help kids, I was going to help them. I’m going to do the extra work to find a way to get them to school.’

Recent SEMO signee Darrius Darden- Box agrees saying, “ Coach Brunetti did 75 -80% of the work to get me a scholarship.â€

Asked what is the key to his accomplishments, Brunetti said, “ It takes a lot of time and effort, and a lot of schools don’t have the time. When a kid comes to me as a freshman, I show them a plan, what it takes to get a scholarship. If they follow my plan, stay with me four years and don’t get in trouble, they will graduate. Even if they don’t get a scholarship, they’ll be ready to go to school.â€

Brunetti added, “There’s a lot more to this than X’s and O’s. I’m very involved, along with the guidance counselors. I look at their grades, I watch their schedules, make sure they’re taking the right classes. At Pearl-Cohn we work just as hard for the kid going to a small school as the one going to a D-I school. “The bottom line is you’re going to win and lose games, but I love seeing young men go to school.â€

Coach Martez Edwards of Jackson Central Merry embodies everything you just spoke of. He personally told me he would measure his success by how many seniors he sentd to college each year. A state championship would be nice, but how many young men will get the chance at a college degree because of athletic abilities? That is what makes great programs......Great Coaches.

Interesting topic, one I'm sure that will have a variety of different opinions. For me it would have to include a mix of the following, in no particular order: 1) Wins and Loses. That is the easiest and most recognizable evaluation. This is a sport, there is a scoreboard, and there is a winner determined at the end of a given time period. More wins than loses equates to more success as defined by the rules of the great game of football. 2) Championships. District championships, playoff appearances, title game appearances, and state championships, all equate into the level of success on the field. But some teams path to these achievements are more difficult than others based on the competition in their districts and regions, but still must be factored in overall. 3) Rules compliance. The school/coach should comply to the prevailing standards set forth by the governing body (TSSAA) and not be one known as seeking to stretch the truth or rules. 4) Discipline. The program should have demonstrated that they treat all players similarly when it comes to discipline. The star player should be subjected to the same discipline as the kid that never sees the field. But discipline must be a part of the program. Not one that equally lets the players act unruly on and off the field. 5) Reputation. The program should be know as one that is classy in the way it handles victories and defeats, by both it players/coaches and fans. 6) and finally, a program that emphasizes character and the overall importance of academics and community service.

Edited by FootballDad

Interesting topic, one I'm sure that will have a variety of different opinions. For me it would have to include a mix of the following, in no particular order: 1) Wins and Loses. That is the easiest and most recognizable evaluation. This is a sport, there is a scoreboard, and there is a winner determined at the end of a given time period. More wins than loses equates to more success as defined by the rules of the great game of football. 2) Championships. District championships, playoff appearances, title game appearances, and state championships, all equate into the level of success on the field. But some teams path to these achievements are more difficult than others based on the competition in their districts and regions, but still must be factored in overall. 3) Rules compliance. The school/coach should comply to the prevailing standards set forth by the governing body (TSSAA) and not be one known as seeking to stretch the truth or rules. 4) Discipline. The program should have demonstrated that they treat all players similarly when it comes to discipline. The star player should be subjected to the same discipline as the kid that never sees the field. But discipline must be a part of the program. Not one that equally lets the players act unruly on and off the field. 5) Reputation. The program should be know as one that is classy in the way it handles victories and defeats, by both it players/coaches and fans. 6) and finally, a program that emphasizes character and the overall importance of academics and community service.

Edited by BallFan44

I judge the success of a program based on a combination of pretty much everything mentioned in this thread. Some more than others. Wins, championships, talented athletes, discipline. All of it goes into what makes a program successful. Football scholarships are a bit unique, in that not only do they reflect positively on the program, but they reflect very positively on the individual athlete receiving the scholarship as well as his family. And they unlock a door that none of the other things I mentioned can unlock.

One thing is for certain, whatever that player does with that scholarship will have more of an effect on him than any trophy or ring ever will. And because of that, I think this thread poses a very good question.

But as I said, I believe it is a combination of many things that make a "program" successful.

I agree with FootballDad. The original poster needs to realize Pearl Cohn is the exception to the rule. Most schools around the state may have 1 or 2 players in each class that can go play at the next level. Not every school in the state produces talent like that. Even some top tier programs don't pump out college prospects every year. So you can't judge a program's success based on number of players playing football at the next level.