How about a hand?

cocheese

I think we should all give a big thanks to the men in blue who go step onto the diamond, night after night, and give it their best. Without those who sacrafice their family time, vacation time/hours at work, and their bodies, there would not be this great game for the kids to play. Yes, they get paid, but it's not always worth it with all the attitudes they have to deal with during a game. Most umpires leave work early, work a double header, and get home with just enough time to choke down a ballpark burger and lay down just to get up and do it again the next day. So, here's to you, men in blue! They really don't get the gratitude they deserve. Just look it some of the posts on here or go listen to the fools in the stands at any game. Not sure why TSSAA has a shortage of umps, there is always handfuls of them in the stands at the ballparks, lots of coaches sitting there too. We also need to give a huge thanks to the coaches too. They put in even more time and sweat and tears and maybe even a little blood. I'm not sure why anyone would want to coach these days, too much expected of them. If you don't think so, ask your local HS coach if you can help out one week with the field prep and care. Thanks coaches! Ya'll the man!

• Upvote 1

This is my 3rd year of umpiring school baseball, with this year being far busier than the previous two. I did 37 games between middle and high school. I can tell you that your thanks means a lot me. We almost always get a "good game blue" after the game. But the pisses and moans you hear during the game far out number any kudos you hear. It is something you come to expect, even when you are at a place where most of the folks know you. Very strange. I think the 5 dollar admission fee must absolve the guilt of those who feel it neccessary to ride the umpires on every call. I am not talking about the occasional groan on a missed call or missed pitch. That makes me work harder if I know I missed one and I also know everyone in the park knows it.

I also want to say thanks to all of the school coaches out there. Seeing new faces on an umpire crew makes those coaches nervous. Every coach I encountered was a class act, in all situations. My season is over, good luck to those in the Boro this week.

This is my 3rd year of umpiring school baseball, with this year being far busier than the previous two. I did 37 games between middle and high school. I can tell you that your thanks means a lot me. We almost always get a "good game blue" after the game. But the pisses and moans you hear during the game far out number any kudos you hear. It is something you come to expect, even when you are at a place where most of the folks know you. Very strange. I think the 5 dollar admission fee must absolve the guilt of those who feel it neccessary to ride the umpires on every call. I am not talking about the occasional groan on a missed call or missed pitch. That makes me work harder if I know I missed one and I also know everyone in the park knows it.

I also want to say thanks to all of the school coaches out there. Seeing new faces on an umpire crew makes those coaches nervous. Every coach I encountered was a class act, in all situations. My season is over, good luck to those in the Boro this week.

Too many people like to complain or moan about calls. We are all human and make errors. it is not as easy at you think, making those close calls on a play at the plate or the outside strike that paints the black and ends a game. Umpires know that these kids lay it on the line to win so they want to do their best for the kids...at least most of the ones I have seen. That being said, consistancy it the most important factor...if you give 6" outside or like the low strike then do it for both teams and dont change from inning to inning. Kudos to the guys in blue! It is a thankless job most of the time but we are glad you love the game.

• Upvote 1