What are the rules to transfering schools?

clubonlyforus

Hey all,

I am curious what the rules are to transfering from one high school to another? In the same county? Same district?

I had heard somewhere that if the player has been on the team for 3 days, whether it be tryouts, practice, etc. then they were not able to transfer to another school within that district. I am mostly asking about transfering between school years. Someone told me that if the player played 1 varsity game this year, then they could not be on a varsity team of a different school the following year. That just does not seem fair, but maybe it is the rule.

Any thoughts?

So there is no confusion because you are asking a lot of questions, there are three ways to get answers to the question, Don't take heresay or rumors. The first way is to contact the school you want to transfer to and explain your total preseason history so far and explain why you want to transfer. Tehy will give you the options and under what conditions a transfer can be made. The second way is the call the TSSAA in Hermitage, ask for someone who can help with a transfer question, and they will help you answer the questions. The third way is to Contact your District Office which should be in your town, and ask the District Director all of the questions and give him/her the total history information of your player and ask for advice. There are many answers to your question which will require other questions to be ask of you. You have been pretty specific and the rules are specific that you have asked about and schools are fixing to start. If this is volleyball, preseason has started but regular season has not. I would suggest immediately the District Office in your Town or The TSSAA Office in Hermitage as my first two stops. Hope this helps but it will help if you had a face to face with someone in your District Office. Zoning may be involved in looking for your solution.

One other thing. Some parents have made decisions to transfer without checking for the rules and then at the end of the year it is found out the transfer was made without the right credentials and could have caused a school to be in violation of the transfer rule. Its a lot of trouble but the transfer needs to be approved.

Edited by PHargis

It is complicated enough that very few, maybe some, will want to ask you the questions because they might not know all of the details. Pardon the answer but the devil is in the details. Hope you had a good Club post season Tournament. Now is the time to check on this.

Edited by PHargis

This is why mr. Harqis shouldn't post. He gives bad information for one of three reasons: he thinks it's funny, he does it on purpose, or he doesn't know the right answer. Then he edits his post.

There are only two things two look at, the tssaa rule and the rule from your school district.

If you participated in practice, whether it is preseason or not, you have to sit out one year from the date of the last day you participated unless you actually move or there is a hardship like a divorce. You can go to or from a private without moving as long as you sit the year.

Also check the rules for your phone system, some are more restrictive, hope that helps, sorry for the run around. Rogue posters waste time for everybody.

Announcements