D2 A 2013 Schedules.

D2A

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Webb had a down year in 2008 going 1-5 not 0-5. But in 2007 Webb went 4-2 in the same division. Every year is different and just because a team did poorly one year doesn't mean they would the next. Webb has a winning tradition so having one losing year didn't dictate much. BGA will be a contender for sure in single A although Webb has beat them 4 out of the last 5 meetings.

My intent was not to bash Knox Webb, but rather to illustrate the difference between D2-AA and D2-A (which was offered in response to a post which pointed out that BGA had an abysmal region record last year, so not much should be expected from them next year once they move down). However, all of the Webb breast-beating calls for a little clarification regarding their two-year stint in what is now D2-AA:

Webb did indeed go 4-2 in the region in 2007, but the four teams they beat had a combined region record of 4-21 that year and only one had an overall winning record (BGA at 6-4). Times have changed much in D2-AA since then. BTW, if your information regarding the 2007 region record is offered as support for your contention that Webb was "competitive" that year, you also need to mention that they lost in the first round of the 2007 playoffs by five touchdowns (49-14). That, combined with their dismal 2008 record cannot be considered "competitive" by any measure. That is likely the reason they moved down the first chance they got (though they still had - and still have - more students than Ensworth, BA and BGA). The bottom line is that no matter how much you throw out words like "competitive", the fact is that Webb was never competitive in the current D2-AA and that there is a huge difference between D2-A and D2-AA in football.

With respect to all of the "we could have beat the pants off you last year", I saw Webb, BGA and Friendship play last year and I would rank them in order (based on last year's teams) Knox Webb, BGA and then Friendship. I am fairly certain that BGA will have a better team this year than last, so this should be a very interesting season. I look forward to it and hope for no serious injuries for any of the teams.

Edited by RedRobin

Yes Webb will be running the same offense as last year. Depending on who plays quarterback will make a little bit of a difference but the Spartans will be in the Wing-T. The opening game with Webb and Maryville will be a great game. If it wasn't for a couple injuries and multiple people cramping up, Webb would have beat Alcoa last year. Now that 17 starters are coming back, they will be prepared for this big game and will be looking to gain the respect they deserve. If you are within an hour or so of Maryville, I would recommend attending this game. It will be a dandy for sure. As for the D2A talk, I honestly have no idea what Friendship or BGA have this year, but all I know is Webb is loaded. TK is one of the top players in the state and Brandt Mitchell already has two SEC offers and only played in two games last year because of eligibility. Webb also has a veteran line returning which is very important in the Wing-T offense. Brock Beeler and Matthew Melton have both started since they were freshman and add big time play making ability in the backfield and defensive secondary. Like I said, I don't know what the other teams have but I do know that Webb will have one of the best teams that they have had. Would love to hear what BGA and Friendship have next year.

My intent was not to bash Knox Webb, but rather to illustrate the difference between D2-AA and D2-A (which was offered in response to a post which pointed out that BGA had an abysmal region record last year, so not much should be expected from them next year once they move down). However, all of the Webb breast-beating calls for a little clarification regarding their two-year stint in what is now D2-AA:

Webb did indeed go 4-2 in the region in 2007, but the four teams they beat had a combined region record of 4-21 that year and only one had an overall winning record (BGA at 6-4). Times have changed much in D2-AA since then. BTW, if your information regarding the 2007 region record is offered as support for your contention that Webb was "competitive" that year, you also need to mention that they lost in the first round of the 2007 playoffs by five touchdowns (49-14). That, combined with their dismal 2008 record cannot be considered "competitive" by any measure. That is likely the reason they moved down the first chance they got (though they still had - and still have - more students than Ensworth, BA and BGA). The bottom line is that no matter how much you throw out words like "competitive", the fact is that Webb was never competitive in the current D2-AA and that there is a huge difference between D2-A and D2-AA in football.

With respect to all of the "we could have beat the pants off you last year", I saw Webb, BGA and Friendship play last year and I would rank them in order (based on last year's teams) Knox Webb, BGA and then Friendship. I am fairly certain that BGA will have a better team this year than last, so this should be a very interesting season. I look forward to it and hope for no serious injuries for any of the teams.

No one is arguing that there is a big difference between Division II large and Division II small. There is. The best teams in division II-A are average or slightly above average teams in Division II-AA. But then again Div-AA is the BEST team in the state bar NONE! So every division falls short to that division. BGA will have no problem competing for a state championship just like Webb has not.

Hahahahahah well what is competing to you? Every game minus the MBA and Ensworth games Webb won or lost within 10 points. The games were tight both in 2007 or 2008. To me competing is giving every team you play a run for their money. Not beating every team you play. Maybe you need to check the definition of compete. Okay why does that matter Webb still beat traditional powerhouses in Baylor, Mcallie, BGA, and also added a win againt Pope John Paul. Yes Webb was blown out by MBA but then again that team was ranked number one in the state and top 15 in the country! What a shame a small private school with only 60 on their roster lost to a team that recruited out of this world and had 33 seniors on their team including Ben Bartholomew. Technically Webb won this game as all the 15 games MBA won that year were forfieted due to illegal recruiting.

Also, Webb did not "move down" we played in the division we were placed in. Your really going to compare Ensworth the number 7 team in the country to Webb becasue their numbers are smaller. Sure they have less students but they are loaded with football players that magically come to ensworth every year. Nothing against them they have a great program. Its funny how you pick top 15 teams in the Country and compare them to Webb and say we cant compete in other divisions.

Once again no one argues the difference in the divisions i'd say Webb would have been the 4th or 5th best team in Division II-AA instead of the clear 1st in Division II-A. Also Webb dressed only 40 players last year.

I like our chances against a wing t offense. We lost quite a bit, but we've still got some players. We had a huge freshman class last year so I'm hoping a few of them can step up. I think we had a transfer or two that couldn't play last year, maybe we'll get some more transfers. We should be able to score this year, I'm not too sure how our defense will be though. I have confidence in the D coordinator to coach em up

over the past 5 years, only Webb(3), USJ(2), St Georges(2), ECS(1) Harding Academy(1) and Davidson Academy(1)have played in the state championship game. I m not saying that these have been the only competitive teams in this division but these are the only ones that have played for the gold ball. Davidson Academy has not been very comp in the past 3 years. Harding Academy seems to have solid players but underperforms in the playoffs as of late. This division certainly isnt big in numbers but there is some very good football played by the top teams and i believe that the top teams can play with anyone in the State on any given Friday but cannot do it for the course of the season because of depth. I predict that BGA and FC will be very competitive in the division. Until they play next season I just dont know if they will be competitive with the top 3 of the division.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the people on this forum wont give FRA the time of day but as Lee Corso would say..."Not so fast". These guys have a line that is returning all 5 starters, all waying from 225-300. Replacing skill players will be the key on offense. The defense shall be stout as everyone on it has started a few games each. Dont under-estmate the record either because of an insane schedule for a school in this division.

Most of the people on this forum wont give FRA the time of day but as Lee Corso would say..."Not so fast". These guys have a line that is returning all 5 starters, all waying from 225-300. Replacing skill players will be the key on offense. The defense shall be stout as everyone on it has started a few games each. Dont under-estmate the record either because of an insane schedule for a school in this division.

I agree with your post. I believe that FRA will be a force to reckon with this season. Their defense should be very good and they are always well coached.

• 2 months later...