USSSA Team Tryout Middle Tennessee - 18U

everettrod

I hope that parents are aware of the rules in terms of participating with another team during season. Although it says independent game, this includes game-like situations or scrimmages. This is why during softball season most players will take private hitting or pitching lessons (perfectly acceptable) but they don't practice or play games with a travel team. Plus as a respect thing, risking an injury with an outside team isn't appropriate. Most high school coaches (I know I don't) don't permit their players to practice or play with another team during season. Claiming the tryouts are confidential and anonymous implies these tryouts aren't exactly on the up and up. Here is the rule from TSSAA:

Independent-Game Participation

Section 21. Once a student's name is listed on the school eligibility report, if a student participates in an independent game in that sport before the season has closed or his/her name has been removed from the eligibility report at the request of the school principal, the student shall be ineligible as explained below. Any organized game in which players not registered with TSSAA participate – regardless of whether admission is charged - is considered as an independent game. Violation of this rule will render the student ineligible for 25% of the number of contests allowed in that sport by the sports calendar or for the remainder of the season in that sport, whichever number is the least. Violation of this rule a second time in the same sport in the same season will render the student ineligible in that sport for the remainder of the season. A student's name may be removed from the school's eligibility list upon written request of the principal. After such a request has been filed with the state office, a student may then participate as an independent without penalty. If

a principal requests the state office to remove a student's name from the school's eligibility list, such student may not again be certified during the season of that sport.

Edited by bucsoftball12

I would not suggest a girl participate in any game type simulation but practice or take lessons with a travel coach is perfectly fine. The rule states they can't simulate a game type situation, but can practice. Such as fielding, throwing and hitting but can't put players in specific positions or simulate a game type scenario. I am all for girls getting more practice especially on fundamentals. All good travel coaches know the TSSAA rules on this, and would not jeopardize a players Highschool team. As far as injury I understand that to an extent but they can get hurt at a Highschool practice and be out for the year as well. Now for the post USSSA team you might as well post for girls who never played because USSSA is a very weak organization and I would hope a player knows better and tries to find a ASA club