Top Middle School Wrestlers

LightsOutWrestler

So in a dual with the best from last year against the best from this year who do you think would win?

I would pick last years for sure.

Seems a little silly / premature to be picking last year's group ahead of this year's group without giving them equal opportunity. You are picking last year's 8th graders based on performance at the end of their 8th grade season. Not to mention you are likely comparing them against the current 8th graders who they had a year of age and experience on (for the most part).

If you are even going to have this conversation, and I wouldn't were it me since I think it is silly to evaluate middle school wrestlers year to year given their development at this stage of the game, then it should be had after the current group has had time to complete their 8th grade seasons. That way the comparison is apples to apples.

Thankfully there are a host of good youth wrestlers in TN... hopefully they continue to develop.

Edited by ghouse

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chopane had a great year in the juniors, but he is going to run into much tougher kids in the Middle School division; one of which I think was left off this list is Michael Moultry – 85lbs. Alex Pergande is another one who will be making the jump to Middle School. I would really like to see some of these Juniors spend some time wrestling up in the Middle School division during the open tournaments throughout the year. We saw it a lot more in the past, but it has fallen off a bit the last few years.

Hands down last years 8th graders would win a dual over this year. You had very solid kids at almost every weight. Hicks, Landers, Hutchens, Herring, Sells, Holcomb, Wilkins, Boykin, Evans, and the list goes on. If you look at the first list posted on this thread, none of the kids for this year were above 120lbs last year. Who will be the top MS in the heavier weights, say 150 and above?

Salter out of Evans and Boykin our only undefeated at national duals who do you think was more impressive?

I am bias towards Nick because he is my wrestler, but Sammy looked great this year. I look forward to seeing them both in high school. What I thought was most impressive was the fact we had two kids at the same weight class go undefeated. They both made each other better.

Seems a little silly / premature to be picking last year's group ahead of this year's group without giving them equal opportunity. You are picking last year's 8th graders based on performance at the end of their 8th grade season. Not to mention you are likely comparing them against the current 8th graders who they had a year of age and experience on (for the most part).

If you are even going to have this conversation, and I wouldn't were it me since I think it is silly to evaluate middle school wrestlers year to year given their development at this stage of the game, then it should be had after the current group has had time to complete their 8th grade seasons. That way the comparison is apples to apples.

Thankfully there are a host of good youth wrestlers in TN... hopefully they continue to develop.

Good point. It is kind of hard to tell how much everyone will improve.

Chopane had a great year in the juniors, but he is going to run into much tougher kids in the Middle School division; one of which I think was left off this list is Michael Moultry – 85lbs. Alex Pergande is another one who will be making the jump to Middle School. I would really like to see some of these Juniors spend some time wrestling up in the Middle School division during the open tournaments throughout the year. We saw it a lot more in the past, but it has fallen off a bit the last few years.

Hands down last years 8th graders would win a dual over this year. You had very solid kids at almost every weight. Hicks, Landers, Hutchens, Herring, Sells, Holcomb, Wilkins, Boykin, Evans, and the list goes on. If you look at the first list posted on this thread, none of the kids for this year were above 120lbs last year. Who will be the top MS in the heavier weights, say 150 and above?

Moultry is another great wrestler. He's kind of up and down. If he wrestles like the kid I watched in Iowa, I think he can beat anyone in the state including Chopane. If he wrestles like he did at state, then it's a whole different story. The state champ from 85 can't be forgot either. Job Dooley. Chopane and Dooley were in the same bracket the year before last. Chopane didn't have a close match. Then you have Brayden Palmer, Cody Mathews, Dillon Lemons, Landon Adzima, and probably a few other good ones who are back from the 85 pound weight class. That could be one of the toughest classes, unless they all spread out. Anyone of them are capable of winning state in my opinion.