Brentwood vs. CPA - The aftermath

Bruindaddy

Well, after watching the Bruins lay an egg at CPA, its obvious there is a lot to work to do. Several observations:

1. Conditioning was pretty bad on both sides of the ball but that is to be expected for the first game of the year in August. Physically, I thought the Bruin defensive line got manhandled at time. It seemed the linebackers had O line in their face most of the game.

2. Turnovers and penalties killed us. Especially fumbling twice in the first half.

3. Running bubble screens and stuff inside CPA's 20 scares the "bubbles" out of me....

4. The CPA "missouri" commit is the real deal. Heck of a ball player.

5. QB play for Brentwood was spotty at best. I always love watching a high school football player do the Lebron Superman move. I'm just confused what the S stood for in this game: Stupid? Selfish? or Short Hopping my throws which was a problem as usual. Mr. Mayer, play hard with passion but lose the hotdogging. Ron Crawford would still be up your but right now 15 hours after the game if you had did that under his reign. Football is a team game and your team lost.

Having said all of the above, nobody said it would be easy losing 37 seniors. Lets hope they learn their lessons, have a good week of practice, and play better against Blackman.

Go Bruins!

A few observations to add....

Great atmosphere for a game. Truly standing room only as CPA's stadium does not have a very large visitors side. The Brentwood students and band filled up the visitor stands. Parents and fans lined the fences on the side.

Brentwood has a great band that adds to the atmosphere.

Lots of friends and neighbors at this one. Plenty of tailgating and fun before the game. Looking forward to the teams playing again next year. Maybe it becomes a great rivalry. Teams had never played before though only 5 miles apart.

Surprisingly, CPA though a much smaller school looked physically stronger on the lines. Kudos to the strength program at CPA. Even though CPA lost 4 starters on the OL the new guys got a good push early. Still not nearly as strong there as they were last year but the staff at CPA has developed what they have.

CPA is young this year. Ten sophomores played in this game including the starting QB. They also started a freshmen at RT.

CPA had many guys going both ways and got fatigued. Brentwood seemed fresher in the 2nd half with fewer 2 way players. However on the last drive CPA guys found enough energy to mount a game winning drive.

Was impressed by Brentwood's 19 play drive. They kept the ball the entire 3rd qtr and finished it with a game tying TD in the 4th. Takes discipline to do that. Impressive

CPA kicker JR Osborn has a couple of long game winning FGs to his credit going back to his freshmen year. Has ice water in his veins.

CPA needs to get Thomas Richard more touches. Need to move him around more. Get him the ball out of the backfield, on reverses, bubble screens. When he's only getting the ball at wideout he's not touching it enough. Kid is an incredible athlete. Missouri getting a good one there.

Paul Adams had his best defensive game as a high schooler. CPA could not get much of a pass rush rush except Paul had a few sacks from his DT position. Missouri getting two good ones from CPA in Paul and Thomas.

CPA has to find a LB that can blitz and tackle a fast QB and not let him get away. Getting Parker Howell back will help the pass rush.

Look forward to a great game with Brentwood next year.

I agree with coach77; the atmosphere at this game was awesome. Overall, I felt like Brentwood should have won this game. The Bruins were definitely out matched in the trenches on both sides of the ball (#74 for CPA is an absolute beast), but Coach Woodward made some good adjustments in the second half to overcome that issue (i.e. the drive that lasted the entire 3rd quarter). It was definitely the penalties and turnovers that lost the game for the Bruins. Brentwood had a chance to control the momentum early in the game with an interception on CPA's first drive, but they gave the big M right back with a fumble a few plays later. Brentwood also had a few holding penalties that killed a 4th quarter drive when the game was still tied 14-14. For whatever it's worth, I strongly disagree with Bruindaddy's post saying that "QB play for Brentwood was spotty at best" I think Maher ended up something like 16-24 with 140 yards. A few of those incompletions were dropped balls, and I only remember 1 of them being "short hopped". I don't ever remember a QB being called "spotty" with a 66.6% completion rate (would have been more like 75% without the dropped balls), not to mention he was Brentwood's leading rusher, and he also had the CATCH of the game. If that's spotty, then I can't wait to see him have a good game! 

All that being said, congrats to CPA on a good win. They minimized their mistakes in the second half, and that's why they won the game. It sounds like their future is bright with that many young players seeing action already; good luck the rest of the way. 

I agree with coach77; the atmosphere at this game was awesome. Overall, I felt like Brentwood should have won this game. The Bruins were definitely out matched in the trenches on both sides of the ball (#74 for CPA is an absolute beast), but Coach Woodward made some good adjustments in the second half to overcome that issue (i.e. the drive that lasted the entire 3rd quarter). It was definitely the penalties and turnovers that lost the game for the Bruins. Brentwood had a chance to control the momentum early in the game with an interception on CPA's first drive, but they gave the big M right back with a fumble a few plays later. Brentwood also had a few holding penalties that killed a 4th quarter drive when the game was still tied 14-14. For whatever it's worth, I strongly disagree with Bruindaddy's post saying that "QB play for Brentwood was spotty at best" I think Maher ended up something like 16-24 with 140 yards. A few of those incompletions were dropped balls, and I only remember 1 of them being "short hopped". I don't ever remember a QB being called "spotty" with a 66.6% completion rate (would have been more like 75% without the dropped balls), not to mention he was Brentwood's leading rusher, and he also had the CATCH of the game. If that's spotty, then I can't wait to see him have a good game! [/size]

All that being said, congrats to CPA on a good win. They minimized their mistakes in the second half, and that's why they won the game. It sounds like their future is bright with that many young players seeing action already; good luck the rest of the way. [/size]

IMHO, I cant argue with anything you're saying and my definition of spotty is probably jaded a little bit by Superman's moves. IMHO(Stealing your line), the boy nees a little "Humble". The trenches are going to have to improve or it may be a long season and Mr .Maher will be running for his life.

I guess I'll meet you halfway... I agree with your last comment, and I think we already saw him running for his life on Friday night, but I feel like he handled that well; like I said, he was the team's leading rusher. Here's to hoping for some improvement by the linemen. However, I think you're blowing the Superman thing out of proportion. That's just a high school kid having fun. I only saw him do it one time, and it was after he scrambled for a first down on 3rd and about 15. He was also right in front of the Brentwood student section when he did it. If he had done it while facing the CPA sideline, I'd probably agree with you, but I don't see anything wrong with a high school football player trying to pump up the student section- to me, that's what Friday nights are all about. 

Great atmosphere, great game and great crowd. Been to most CPA home games since they built the field and I do not remember a bigger crowd.

I thought the BHS QB had a very good game, especially with making big plays on long yardage situations. Kept his team from punting on 3rd and long more than once. Didn't see the showboating, so it must not have been much.

CPA surprised me since I knew they were going to be rebuilding and don't have an experienced QB. Good win for them.

Love our coaches but some of the CPA play calling baffled me, especially not getting Richard the ball more until late in the game where he proved what he could do when he got it. Running a stretch play and losing yardage on 2nd and 1 reminded me of CJ on the Titans at times. JUST DIVE AND GET THE FIRST DOWN!!

Then running 2 QB keepers in the line on 2nd and 3rd and long was almost like conceding the punt. Didn't get it, but hey, what do I know and at least they won.
Will be interesting to see when Howell comes back if they will try him at TE. He has never played offense but with his size and athleticism, he would be a load at TE.

Good luck BHS the rest of the year.

Edited by sportsnerd