Signal Mtn Boys Defeat Central Magnet for Region 3 Title

bbb

MURFREESBORO - The Signal Mountain boys tennis team claimed its first ever Region 4 championship here Thursday with a 4-2 win against host Central Magnet.

The victorious Eagles host Region 3 champ Hixson Friday at 4 p.m. with the winner advancing to the Spring Fling state tournament here next week.

Playing at the Old Fort Park Tennis Complex, the Eagles led 3-2 after singles and secured the team win with a victory at No.2 doubles.

"I am excited for our guys and the way they played today, but we do not have time to celebrate as we host Hixson Friday for the sectional title," said Signal Mountain coach Renato Mizutani.

With the match tied 2-2 in singles the Eagles' Zach Brown rallied for a three-set win at No.3 for the all important 3-2 advantage heading into doubles.

"After losing the first set I knew I needed to calm down and stay focused which I was able to do," said Brown.

The Eagles secured the region title as eighth grader Thomas Thelen and junior Luke Blentlinger claimed an 8-3 win at No.2 doubles for the fourth and deciding team point.

"Luke set me up at the net all match," said Thelen. "And I was able to win many quick points."

"We knew that we had win at the net and get the points over quickly," Blentlinger stated. "When the points went long we usually didn't win them."

Youth is Served: Signal Mountain's two eighth graders both won their matches ... Thelen in doubles and Grant Williams at No.5 singles.

"With a lot of cheering during all the singles matches it was a little distracting, but I made myself focus on just my match," said Williams who won in straight sets, 6-3 6-3.

Grear to UTC: Central Magnet's Mason Grear plans to walk on at UTC in the fall.

Signal Mountain Boys 4, Central Magnet 2

singles'

Mason Grear (CM) def. Jason Morris, 7-6 (1), 6-0

Luke Blentlinger (SM) def. Austin Yoders, 6-3, 6-3

Zach Brown (SM) def. Cole Kelley, 6-7 (2), 6-4, 6-2

Grayson Gore (CM) def. Micajah Tucker, 6-0, 6-4

Grant Williams (SM) def. Angus Stewart, 6-3, 6-3

order of finish: 4-2-1-5-3

doubles

Blentlinger-Thomas Thelen won 8-2

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@Comcast.net