Chattanooga Has Six Teams Ready for Spring Fling State Tennis

bbb

Six Chattanooga prep tennis teams have hopes of bringing home state championships during Spring Fling XXI this week at Old Fort Park Tennis Complex in Murfreesboro.

In D-II AA its both Baylor teams along with GPS and McCallie, while the Hxson boys are competing in D-I A-AA as are the Notre Dame girls.

Baylor girls look for their fourth straight title, Notre Dame girls also won a championship in 2012 and Hixson boys is competing at the state for the first time.

50th Anniv. of Girls State Tennis Tournament - first championship was 1964 as Lynne Gregory won singles to lead David Lipscomb to the girls team title ...

If You Are Going

Spring Fling Tennis - Murfreesboro

Team Competition - Tuesday and Wednesday

Cost: Tickets are $10 per day ... Parking is $5 per day

Times: (all times Eastern Daylight)

10 a.m. - D-II AA Girls

Noon - D-II AA Boys

2 p.m. - D-I A-AA and AAA Girls

4 p.m. -  D-I A-AA and AAA Boys

* Girls D-II AA: Semis (10 a.m. EDT) - Baylor (12-1) vs. Harpeth Hall; GPS (11-4) vs. Hutchison

Defending Champion: Baylor (2011-2012-2013)

Red Raiders are odds-on favorites to win their fourth ... GPS should make the finals and face Baylor for the third time this season ... Baylor's lone loss was to a Fla. state champion at the Deco-Turf (Ky.) tournament earlier this season ...

Brother-Sister Spring Fling Combo - GPS eighth grade Maddox Bandy plays at 10 a.m. ... plenty of time to go watch her brother Lake (plays for McCallie) play at 5 p.m. vs. Christian Brothers at Wilson Central HS

* Boys D-II AA: Semis (noon EDT) - McCallie vs. MBA ... MUS vs. Baylor

Defending Champion: Memphis Univ School (2013).

MUS is heavy favorite to win its second straight ... McCallie-MBA should be a great semis match ... McCallie won the region for the first time since 2009 and beat MBA on the road.

* Girls D-II A:  Semis - Knox Webb (13-0) vs. Univ. School of Nashville; St. Mary's (8-0) vs. St. Cecilia

Defending Champion: Knox Webb (2010-11-12-13)

Two undefeated teams - Knox Webb and St. Mary's should make the finals ... Four-time defending champion Webb are the favorites to win No.5 ... St. Mary's (1988-1992) is only school to win five straight ...

* Boys D-II A: Semis- Knox Webb vs. BGA; Univ. School of Jackson vs. Univ. School of Nashville

Defending Champion: Knox Webb

* Girls D-I A-AA: Semis - Hume Fogg vs. CAK; Notre Dame vs. Union City

2013 Champion: Chattanooga Christian

Notre Dame beat CAK during the season and also defeated CAK to win the 2012 state crown ...

* Boys D-I A-AA: Semis - Hixson (12-3) vs. CPA; Knox Catholic and Trinity Christian

2013 Champion: Christian Academy of Knox.

first ever trip to final four for Hixson ...

* Girls D-I AAA: Semis - Ravenwood (10-0) vs. Houston; Siegel (12-3) vs. Tenn. High

Defending Champion: Ravenwood (2010-11-12-13)

Raptors (10-0) are favorites to win a fifth ... led by Katie Fitt who will play at BYU next season.

* Boys D-I AAA:  Semis - Siegel vs. Tenn. High; Germantown vs. Brentwood

Defending Champion: Brentwood (2012-13)

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

Edited by bbb