Div II AA Predictions

drewpearson

The board has been almost silent this year. I haven't been on in several years so I thought I would start a new thread for predictions. This year is the closest I have ever seen. There are literally 5-6 teams that could win it. I would like to hear everyones predictions or thoughts on the top teams. Im going to watch some film on Hudl tonight before I make my predictions. One thing is for sure the Championship is up for grabs this year.  

The board has been almost silent this year. I haven't been on in several years so I thought I would start a new thread for predictions. This year is the closest I have ever seen. There are literally 5-6 teams that could win it. I would like to hear everyones predictions or thoughts on the top teams. Im going to watch some film on Hudl tonight before I make my predictions. One thing is for sure the Championship is up for grabs this year.  

It is the best balanced league in ten years or more and that has been good to see-yes anyone can win but Ensworth will win it all because they have the best athletes and are the best coached week in and week out. BA is hit or miss and MBA has not beat Ensworth since the fall of 2010. As much as I hate to say it, they will not beat them if they play again as Ensworth will fix what went wrong in the first game and MBA will not be able to adapt.

Every time  think about it I come to another conclusion.  I think it comes own to match ups as it so often does. Im going to research it and talk to some friends at other schools before I make my predictions. Any big news before the playoffs? Any injured players or injured players coming back in time for the playoffs?

Edited by drewpearson

Semi's: Baylor @ MBA

BA      @ Ensworth

Finals: BA over MBA

As good as Ensworth is, its hard to beat a team like BA twice.  (Not that it hasn't been done before). Baylor has some contributors back from injury and finished the season strong even in their losses.  If McCallie was better on defense I think they would be a good pick to host Baylor in the semis- a T$$AA dream scenario.  

6 teams? No. Seems more like 3 though there has been more parity this year.  

Father Ryan @ Baylor could be the most intriguing early matchup as I think either of those 2 could make a decent run.  BA being on the road at MUS could level that to a close game for at least a half.

The way the brackets have worked out I can see a possibility of 6 different teams depending on who plays better.You have Ensworth and BA then you have McCallie who smoked Ensworth, you have Mba who beat BA and McCallie, you have Baylor who beat Mba, played Ba down to the wire and played Ensworth tough until the 4th and Father Ryan has played everyone tough and has a good draw if they can get hot for a game or two. Im not saying they are all evenly matched but much more so than in the past. Thats not even counting the teams from the west. I will give my predictions this evening.  

6 teams? No. Seems more like 3 though there has been more parity this year.  

Father Ryan @ Baylor could be the most intriguing early matchup as I think either of those 2 could make a decent run.  BA being on the road at MUS could level that to a close game for at least a half.

I am going to repeat my opinion from two years ago that  got "shot down" by some "Daddies" mostly from BA as they prepared to travel to MUS:  I don't think the travel or the venue has any effect on the outcome of a present day D2AA game.

My reasons.  The players don't travel in the uncomfortable "yeller" school buses of yesterday with the rock hard seats.  They travel in comfort.  On game day the MUS players likely will sit on their butts in a classroom for 7 hours.  The BA players likely will sit on their butts for 4 hours in a classroom then 3 hours on a comfy bus -  to me that's a little less stressful, but I'll call it a tossup.

I believe all the teams play on the same type of artificial turf.  And I don't recall ever being at a big D2AA game where (home) crowd noise was significant.

Moreover, despite the BS that gets thrown out every year about prejudicial and/or "homer" officiating, it is still a fact that the officials are brought in from areas outside those of the teams.

Some fans act as if they must be brought in from another state to be unbiased.

All that being said, BA IMHO is clearly the better team and should beat MUS regardless of the venue or officials.  I don't understand the comment about the venue "leveling the playing field" for the 1st half.  If "travel fatigue" were a legitimate factor, then the 1st half would be more favorable to BA than the 2nd, when they should be more fatigued.  Two years ago, BA jumped out to a 17 or 21 point lead but ultimately lost - to the better team.  Four years ago BA was clearly the better team and won easily.  All games were at MUS. I see a pattern here....

Edited by owlbooster

Owlbooster- My only point in saying that was that it's hard to win on the road in this league.  Nothing about refs, buses, crowd noise etc.  However I disagree that BA riding a bus vs MUS going to class is an advantage.  I think if you asked BA, they would go to class all day if it meant they get to play in Nashville. But hey, just my opinion. 

It's hard to win on the road in this league - but it's also hard to win at home.  Ha.  Once the game starts, I agree that there is very little home field advantage.  No doubt anyone would rather play at home than have to travel 3 hours.  But, BA to MUS isn't that big of a deal.  MUS to Baylor/McCallie (or vice versa) would be a bigger deal. 

Looking forward to the playoffs.  There are some great teams in D2AA - should be fun to watch.

I've got BA over MBA at state.

Well, after watching as much game film as I could and speaking with friends all over the state I still don't see a clear cut favorite. This years playoffs are going to be awesome.

I think Ensworth has to be the favorite. They have the experience and talent at the skilled positions as usual. They have seemed to play a little lackluster at times given their talent. They were tied with Ba going into the 4th and up on Baylor by 10 in the 4th but came together to blow both teams out in the last quarter. McCallie played an incredible game against them but Ensworth moved the ball at will. Turnovers, penalties and an absolute perfect game by McCallie were the difference in this one. If Ensworth plays with a sense of urgency from the first snap they should be the favorite but the other teams are close enough to knock them off if given a few breaks. Mgraw, Sheffield, Settles, and Morehead are as talented as any players in the state, in the end I think that will be the difference.   

BA would be my second choice. They have good skilled position players, are well coached and their line is remarkable. If they can win the turnover battle and dominate up front they have a chance to knock off Ensworth. Ensworth has too many explosive players to shut them down but if Brentwood can just slow them down they have a chance . If they can get past Ensworth I think they run the table.  The Qb Oatsvall keeps plays extended with his scrambling ability but Ensworth did a good job of limiting his runs. If he can scamper for some big plays they may be in the championship.    

Mba has proven that on any given day they can beat anyone. They beat BA and McCallie but lost to Baylor. Mba is very similar in my opinion to BA. Good skilled position players and a great line. I see a shootout with McCallie but I have a feeling McCallie finds a way to win this time.

McCallie has speed everywhere but their defense has been suspect. They looked great against Ensworth and Baylor but not against Ba and MBA. They have the speed to beat anyone on any given day but the defense will have to tighten up and they are going to have to throw the ball effectively to win. Everyone is going to load the box to top Trotter. I think they beat Mba this time around and have a rematch with their cross town rival.

Baylor is the question mark in my opinion. Ive been impressed with their coaching over the years. I think they do more with less talent. They have a favorable draw in the brackets to make a run. They seem to still be searching for their identity at times though. Their line is a big question mark and their passing game has disappeared as of late. I spoke with a couple of their fans and they think they are going to have to play both ways a lot more than they have during the year. There are a couple of kids that have stood out when watching them and that is #5,10 and 15. #15 is the linebacker Parker and hes played sparingly on offense but has made a difference when he does. #5 in my opinion has as much upside as anyone in the state. I think he suffered a concussion against McCallie and hasn't played that much since. He had the play of the year against Ba on a hook and ladder and was dominating McCallie until he appeared to be knocked out. #5 can also run the ball very effectively.  #10 is a small defensive lineman that has stood out everytime Ive watched them,  Im not sure there has been a d lineman that Ive seen that I have been more impressed with.  Hes played a little offense and has played with he same intensity he brings to the defense. I think if Baylor has all their best players on both sides of the ball they will make it to the finals. Their fans echoed the same thing when I spoke with them but were very close mouthed about if that was their plans.  

Father Ryan-  Im impressed with their resiliency and how tough they have played everyone. I think they are also well coached but in the end don't have enough athletes to match the big boys. I wouldn't be shocked if they knock of Baylor, especially if Baylor continues the offense by committee approach but I cant see them going much further than that. 

Cbros and Mus- I havent seen much of either team and haven't spoken to any of their fans. I can see them knocking off a big win but don't think they have enough in the tank to make it to the finals.

semis

Brentwood Vs Ensworth

McCallie vs Baylor

finals

Enworth vs Baylor

Champions

Ensworth

MBA v Ensworth in finals.  Not a more polished and balanced offense than MBA.  They match every score in every series against their opponent. You are required to score at least 50 point to beat them.  The QB is smart, athletic, and never wilts under pressure.  However, Ensworth has the horses to do the same plus their defense may be a slight more experienced.  If MBA's defense tighens up a tad, MBA wins it.  

MBA v Ensworth in finals.  Not a more polished and balanced offense than MBA.  They match every score in every series against their opponent. You are required to score at least 50 point to beat them.  The QB is smart, athletic, and never wilts under pressure.  However, Ensworth has the horses to do the same plus their defense may be a slight more experienced.  If MBA's defense tighens up a tad, MBA wins it.  

Yes, they very well could