7AA Educated Predictions

Guest eagle

Well, 7AA fans it's basketball time again, so your friendly neighborhood eagle must present his knowledge of this highly competitive district to you... YORK INSTITUTE... Many district fans believe that York has what it takes to claim the regular season district title... Leffew and Ledbetter will provide strength and size for the Yorkies, while the injured Tate (broken foot) will bring his leadership to lift the Dragons in the 2nd Half of the season... If York maintains composure without its leader, the Yorkies will be tough to beat... UPPERMAN... The Bees will buzz again this season... The Baxter Boys return several key contributers: Lance Mathis, Wes Shanks, Todd Clinton, Joseph Case and Alan Asberry... Only time will tell what the loss of Kyle Herald and Region MVP Adam Asberry will do the team... but don't shake the hive just yet... this team is still a major contender in 7AA... JACKSON COUNTY... What can I say? The Blue Devils simmered down a bit after losing Brad Gaw and company last season, but Joseph Meadows (A Preseason MVP candidate) will come to play... He is the purest athlete in the district, and if he has a decent supporting cast, the Gaineboro Guys will be tough to stop... CANNON COUNTY... After losing the bulk of its lineup to graduation (Phillip Mullins, Matt Wooley, and 7AA MVP Spencer Rowland), many district fans expect very little roar from the Lions... But don't fall victim to the hype... The Jones boys are back... Dustin and Brian will lead a more laid-back, balanced attack... Jesse Owens (with Leffew-type strength), a steady Ben Taylor, a stronger Pedro Lara, a speedy Alan Burger, and leaping Matt Young will contribute to the success of the Lions... If the Lions believe in themselves, they will surprise many... SMITH COUNTY... The Owls are hooting again in Middle Tennesse, but can they shake a bottom three finish? Matthew Winkler and Ryan Sleeper return... The SANDMAN wants more this season, but will the Owls follow? The Carthage Crew will have to stay focused in order to compete... Perhaps they are the SLEEPER of the district... LIVINGSTON ACADEMY... Wolfram, Aldridge, and McGill are gone... Will Jamie Gurley and the young Wildcats overcome adversity? Look for LA to be better this year... However, they are still a year away from district contention... Prove me wrong... I am not Nostradamus... DEKALB COUNTY... Smithville is hungering for opportunity... Dekalb lost team leader JON MAHAN from last year's team (and Officer's been gone for a couple of years), but everyone else returns... Lee Colson, Lance Dillard, and Destin Farr will lead the Tigers... According to 7AA gossip, Cannon County guard Jacob Melton has transferred to help the Tiger attack... If the Tigers play together, protect the basketball, and stay composed, they will avoid the district cellar and perhaps shock a few teams in the process... GOOD LUCK to all 7AA fans...

Zeus, You may be right. You said injuries...are there any others besides Tate's toes. Eagle, you make some good observations but seem bogged down with the past(Gaw,Officer,Asbery,Hearald, Rowland & Mahon) Let's talk about the future. Who's back, not who is gone & forgotten. YORK is returning five( yes I said five) district honorable mention or better; Tate, Leffew, Ledbetter, Stephens & Cravens. Question: How did York turn last season around to finish the way they did. Well yes the freshman Ledbetter did develope much quicker than anyone could have imagened, but the correct answer is Josh Stephens & Robt Cravens. That's right good guard play. They matured quickly, got the ball where it needed to go & knocked down the shots when needed. QUESTION: Last year coaches had to alter defensive schemes because of Tate, with the Tater out early on, will the two Big L's make up for the loss of Tate & Brady(oops). UPPERMAN: Not to be out done the Beeeez also return five district HM or better; Mathis, Case, Shanks, Clinton, & Adam Asberry's little brother. How many guards are you allowed to have on one team? Mathis is fine ballplayer, he may even grow up to be Joseph Meadows, but besides him...where's the heigth. Strange things have been known to happen over the summer, maybe somebody grew. Anyway opponents better come ready to play. JACKSON CO: Riddle: Why is the Jackson Co. boys team always so good. ANSWER: Because they have to practice against their sisters. Joseph Meadows(1st team) & Joel Gaw(HM) return. I have know doubt that Meadows is the best "all round" basketball player/athlete in the district. He will be a heck of a "church league" player some day, unless he decides to pick up his team & carry it on his shoulders this season.( in that case were talking NAIA 2 & 3 spot potential) Carpe dium, Joseph, Carpe dium. Two fine ballplayers, but I don't know who else they've got. JC is one of the smallest AA teams in the state, but they never re-build, just re-load. Maybe those kids that get cut in Byrdstown tranfer over.SMITH CO.: The 'Sandman'(see Eagle above) Ryan Sleeper is back. Wish I knew more. I heard the Owlgores played Lebanon tough & that's not bad if they did. LIVINGSTON: You've heard the admonition that we should "invest in growth stocks", well no doubt Coach McCoin has because last year he had seven freshmen on the team. The Coacht buzz early on last year was that this group had real potential. Jamie Gurley returns to provide some senior leadership. Gurley had some good moments last year. Look for some surprises. DEKALB CO.: District HM Destin Farr is back. Dekalb scared some people last year, usually for about a half, then they would sit out the 3rd quarter & play catch up in the 4th. Dekalb is not that tall but are "big boned" boys & play tough inside. They need more 3 pt. shooting & a natural born point to contend. That leaves CANNON: I hesitate to say much for fear that I might jinx my Lions. It's not unusual in Woodbury to play point one season & post the next. Whatever it takes. There have been some shake-ups; We lost Coach Bush, but Coach Knox is very familar with the players & vice versa. District HM Dustin Jones starter Jessie Owens along with 3 more from our 8 man rotation. I'm cautiously optimistic, & will be surprised & disapointed with any finish lower than third. GOOD LUCK to all teams & players. I just hope you realize some day how much your hard work is appreciated & how much enjoyment the communities get from watching you demonstrate you're skills.

Snowbird, Speaking of Josh Stephens maturing over last season you should see him now. York scrimmaged Clarkrange, take it for what its worth, Stephens had 33 (points). 7 or 8 from deep.

About what you said to me on that other post send some more info on it to me at tate42@hotmail.com if possible. thx

[Edited by wizard23 on 11-18-02 11:40P]

There are a number of injuries in yorks lineup tate being the worst and Leffew is having back problems was pretty serious for a while. Stephens had a bad ankle sprain, and now is out because of some wisdom teeth bein taken out. Ledbetter has a knee that is giving him alot of problems but is practicing more of a nagging injurie. Cravens seems to be the only really healthy dragon at this time.