Starting a program

AzZa9

Hard. Started one at Silverdale in early 2000. Fortunately the administration at the time was behind us. The best advice I can give is don't try to do it all yourself. The most important job of the head coach is to hire the right assistant\s. I would definitely suggest starting the middle school first for at least a year before implementing the high school. Obviously parental support is key and "money answerers all things". May not be the answer you want, but you'll get an answer.

I appreciate the feedback we started an AAU program this year and we have done well. I think starting a middle school next year could be doable we have good support and a handful of helpful parents.

Go for it. It will be well worth the effort and time. You'll look back one day and realize despite all the pain and headaches the first couple years will probably be your most memorable and rewarding years.

To start off with, congrats and thanks for helping to grow the sport. You are heading in the right direction just by taking the first step. I can speak from experience when I say that IT, being ALL, will fall on your drive and determination to stay true to your kids! Show them they CAN and never let them think, I CAN NOT! Wrestlers find a way to win. Recruiting is the key. Word of mouth will only get you so far. Fill the room till you have no choice but to find more coaches that have only the kids best interest in mind. Keep the school and community updated on success.

Don't let bad times show in you or your wrestlers. Wrestling is the definition of what hard work is. I've been at this sport for 20 year and I have seen the sport make some great hardworking adults. If it were not for wrestling, who knows where I would be....? GOOD LUCK and see you soon!

Im' probably the last person to give good advice about starting a wrestling program. I started The Greeneville High Program in 1978. The Administrators wanted it. The AD/Head Football Coach Fred Sorrells funneled top Athletes into the program. The local news paper gave us great coverage. We had an oversize room designated for year round wrestling. (I guess I was a little bit illegal in the Day. Top of the line uniforms, mats and warmups. They created a last period wrestling Gym Class that the wrestling coach taught for 9 months. We were allowed to travel, and was told we were to create a wrestling tournament in our second year. We were highly organized and took a Marine type approach which attracted a lot of young men. We did not have middle school wrestling for years and then the school board dropped middle school baseball for wrestling because they said we did more with less and that helped a ton. That is why I say, wrestling knowledge is fine, but administrative support is better in the initial stages.

Edited by noonesfool

• 2 weeks later...

I was tasked with restarting the wrestling program at White Station High School in Memphis, TN this year, after a five-year absence. You must be dedicated to it to make it work. I have had an awesome first season, but it hasn’t been without it’s serious frustrations and headaches. The school, your AD, and parents need to be involved and invested for you to hit the ground running, and make some progress. I like the idea of starting some type of middle school program first before start the high school. This will allow you to have a program that feeds into your high school program once it is up and running. Without that you will always be playing catchup to the programs around you, and in your region, that have feeder programs, clubs. Etc. Money is also a huge component and something you should create a plan for, before you ever start your team. Probably my biggest hurdle this season. Hope this helps.