Spring Hill @ Marshall County part 2

Lead

6 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Well congrats to the Tigers.  I feel really let down by this season.  I think there needs to be a change in the culture of the students and parents at Spring Hill.  To have guys that quit and refuse to go back out due to it being cold is rediculous.  To have a kid kicked off the team for back talking a coach is a shame.  Coach Emmons did the right things with those kids and now there needs to be some soul searching amongst parents and players.  I have always supported the Raiders win or lose but I will not support entitled parents and kids.  Shameful!!!

Agree and I don' know all of the details but I have heard from some of the parents that I work with that the coach doesn' mind running the kids down either. Don' take that as gospel, that's just what I was told. If true, it doesn' say much about the coaches either.

19 hours ago, leadfarmer said:

Agree and I don' know all of the details but I have heard from some of the parents that I work with that the coach doesn' mind running the kids down either. Don' take that as gospel, that's just what I was told. If true, it doesn' say much about the coaches either.

I am not saying that it is not true because honestly I am not around the program much anymore.  But now a days parents and kids take the slightest little comment as "running them down". If a coach is honest and tells a kid that he is just not good enough yet then that is running him down.  Parents, camps like NPA, etc are ruining high school athletics.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

I am not saying that it is not true because honestly I am not around the program much anymore.  But now a days parents and kids take the slightest little comment as "running them down". If a coach is honest and tells a kid that he is just not good enough yet then that is running him down.  Parents, camps like NPA, etc are ruining high school athletics.

Some kids these days are just too soft. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

I would argue that parents made them that way.

You could but also society as a whole. Everybody sugarcoats everything now. Instead of telling kids what they need to hear, they tell them what they think they want to hear. Take football for instance, back when I played, if you came across the middle you better be prepared to get your block knocked off. Now it' a 15 yarder.

12 hours ago, leadfarmer said:

You could but also society as a whole. Everybody sugarcoats everything now. Instead of telling kids what they need to hear, they tell them what they think they want to hear. Take football for instance, back when I played, if you came across the middle you better be prepared to get your block knocked off. Now it' a 15 yarder.

Well said lead.  For those of us that played 30 and 40 years ago, can you imagine kids getting coached the way we were coached?  My son certainly wasn't coached the way I was coached.  He had outstanding coaching, but it wasn't nearly the same.  We're all on here because we LOVE football.  I'm not so sure that the game we loved playing and now watching, will be around in the next 20 years.  The game gets watered down a little more every year and eventually, our sons/grandsons will be wearing full gear along with a belt with flags attached to it.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hollowman said:

Well said lead.  For those of us that played 30 and 40 years ago, can you imagine kids getting coached the way we were coached?  My son certainly wasn't coached the way I was coached.  He had outstanding coaching, but it wasn't nearly the same.  We're all on here because we LOVE football.  I'm not so sure that the game we loved playing and now watching, will be around in the next 20 years.  The game gets watered down a little more every year and eventually, our sons/grandsons will be wearing full gear along with a belt with flags attached to it.  

You are exactly right! Kids now days can't handle constructive criticism.  When my coaches yelled at me for making a bone head play or missing a block is because they knew I could do better and they expected me to fix the problem. Kids now days take that as the coach belittling them. I was fortunate to have a great relationship with my coaches and knew how to take them when they were ranting. I took most of it with a grain of salt and tried to do better next time. Some kids just don't have the ability to see things for what they are. As fare as attitudes, I tell my son all the time, "attitudes attitude contagious,  is yours worth catching".

3 minutes ago, leadfarmer said:

You are exactly right! Kids now days can't handle constructive criticism.  When my coaches yelled at me for making a bone head play or missing a block is because they knew I could do better and they expected me to fix the problem. Kids now days take that as the coach belittling them. I was fortunate to have a great relationship with my coaches and knew how to take them when they were ranting. I took most of it with a grain of salt and tried to do better next time. Some kids just don't have the ability to see things for what they are. As fare as attitudes, I tell my son all the time, "attitudes attitude contagious,  is yours worth catching".

It's funny that you mention that, because I parented a lot like I was coached.  Right or wrong, it was nobody's business but my own and the boss's(wife).  As it turns out, my 3 adult babies turned out to be pretty good people.  AND they love my wife and me for it!  All that to say, it started with the wife's folks being good parents, my folks being good parents, and our coaches and teachers being TOUGH on us.  Anyhow, we can start a thread for this topic as I'm sure many would chime in, but no need to.  I'm just glad that there are a few of us left.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hollowman said:

It's funny that you mention that, because I parented a lot like I was coached.  Right or wrong, it was nobody's business but my own and the boss's(wife).  As it turns out, my 3 adult babies turned out to be pretty good people.  AND they love my wife and me for it!  All that to say, it started with the wife's folks being good parents, my folks being good parents, and our coaches and teachers being TOUGH on us.  Anyhow, we can start a thread for this topic as I'm sure many would chime in, but no need to.  I'm just glad that there are a few of us left.

Absolutely nothing wrong with being tough on your kids. They will be better later on in life because of it. I worked for one of my coaches in high school and that man taught me the meaning of hard work. If we weren't practicing we were either farming, cutting wood, working out, or fixing farm equipment.  He taught me alot of skills that I can carry with me for the rest of my life and I am forever grateful.