DII East Region Tournament

BoydBucFan

This being our first year in DII,  I was so looking forward to going to Baylor for our region tournament. Instead of being in that big nice, roomy gym, I was elbow to elbow and knee to back with all other spectators. Unfortunately my deodorant wore out by noon!  Peeuuhh!  I thought for a moment that I was at the Mtn. Top tournament! lol

Im sure the boys don’t give a hoot about a podium for a photo opt, but the dad sitting beside me from Cagle Mtn. was hoping that this would be the year that he could fill that blank wall spot beside his velvet Elvis!

Popcorn really gives me...well you know. I’m glad McCallie had a table set up. I never saw a donation jar,  but I sure helped myself to peanut butter and pretzel crackers. FYI - Grannie wouldn’t charge much to bring a pot of greens and beans next time if need be. 

I heard the TSSAA is selling all the medals so they can be made into bullets to fight off that N Korea regime. 

Maybe next year we can go to Uncle Cecil’s barn and try a turn at milking his new Gert?!?  Now that would be fun watching!!

My sweater vest sure is getting hot. 

• Upvote 1

and the popcorn only dinin wernt to tasty at that......you forgot to mention the massive vertical eye-beems blockin the view of the matches.....woulda had to search real hard to find a worser venue in chattanooga for that tourney....why they refuse to flip the bleachers around to face the other bleachers on the other side of the Basketball court runs from Booger,...u got more convenient parkin at the Masters  and thats with a bus ride to the venue......would have been lot more fun if they woulda just opened the mudbog in the middle of campus so Booger Mama coulda cut a few donuts......Wrestlin was awesome tho.....sum great matches....was a pleasure meetin u saturday BBF......see ya in Franklin friday

the BBQ in the back room were kinda tasty

Booger just sayin  :mrgreen:

Edited by Booger

1 hour ago, Booger said:

and the popcorn only dinin wernt to tasty at that......you forgot to mention the massive vertical eye-beems blockin the view of the matches.....woulda had to search real hard to find a worser venue in chattanooga for that tourney....why they refuse to flip the bleachers around to face the other bleachers on the other side of the Basketball court,...u got more convenient parkin at the Masters  and thats with a bus ride to the venue......would have been lot more fun if they woulda just opened the mudbog in the middle of campus so Booger Mama coulda cut a few donuts......Wrestlin was awesome tho.....sum great matches....was a pleasure meetin u saturday BBF......see ya in Franklin friday

the BBQ in the back room were kinda tasty

Booger just sayin  :mrgreen:

Lol. Likewise. Have a safe trip and be sweet!!

BoydBuc, 

Do we have years of your whining to look forward to now that Boyd is going to be a future DII powerhouse?  My boy placed at the region tournament Saturday and never once asked about getting a medal.  You must live in a snowflake world where everyone gets a participation trophy.  Who cares about being top 4 out of a crappy 8 man bracket?  Only 1 team even entered a full line-up on Saturday... seriously, making it to state in DII is not an accomplishment.  Get over it. 

Also, McCallie played a basketball game Friday night at Baylor, so I'm guessing they couldn't turn around the gym in time for Saturday. 

Thanks for enlightening me, Bob.  I thought D2 was going to be full of pretentious people.  Not that way at all.  The kids were great, and I enjoyed watching many great matches.  I agree with Bob.... I think it is foolish for 3rd or 4th place to get to wrestle at state. obviously they don't deserve it.    Im not sure why schools that cant fund scholarships would even want to have a wrestling program anyway.  Its so amusing  watching them try to compete with the big schools.  If some of those fools wise up and realize they are not wrestlers, we can have a 4 man bracket.

[FWIW] DII wrestling coaches maintain on-going dialogue for ways to improve post-season championships, particularly the traditional state championship. That said, the TSSAA's position is to treat all divisions identical. So, DII began using a qualifying tournament about 5 years ago.

To what degree the philosophy of "participation trophies" entered into their decision-making process is unknown, but I'd wager it was absolutely zero. If anything, the qualifying tournament has increased the value and accomplishment of competing in the traditional state championship. Before, everyone automatically went.

Certainly larger brackets appear more competitive on first glance. From what I can tell, most other traditional state championship tournaments range from 8- to 16-man brackets. Three GHSA divisions are 8-man brackets. The others are 16-man. Tennessee's 3A 32-man bracket is an outlier. Of course, California has a 32-man bracket, but there is only one division in California. As money-hungry the TSSAA is accused of often being, they're not rushing to disrupt the season schedule to require another qualifying tournament for our 3A schools, to have a 16-man state bracket.

Bottomline, Tennessee coaches and wrestlers are doing a fine job competing within the structure set-up and managed by the TSSAA. [/FWIW]

-TH

Edited by pantheon

BBF.......it appears that babyruth u left in that yuppys bottle wernt lettin her to take in that Enfamil to well...guessin ole ruffle britches from over off suck creek wouldnt even have allowed her youngin to even go to state if a they had a 3 or 4th place region finish

congrats on that boys weekend...a 3rd place state finish is to b commended.....not shabby at all...he had a great run..talk to his gramps on the way out...nice feller...

great weekend to wrap a HS wrastlin career...its been a good ride

Booger just sayin :thumb:

27 minutes ago, Booger said:

BBF.......it appears that babyruth u left in that yuppys bottle wernt lettin her to take in that Enfamil to well...guessin ole ruffle britches from over off suck creek wouldnt even have allowed her youngin to even go to state if a they had a 3 or 4th place region finish

congrats on that boys weekend...a 3rd place state finish is to b commended.....not shabby at all...he had a great run..talk to his gramps on the way out...nice feller...

great weekend to wrap a HS wrastlin career...its been a good ride

Booger just sayin :thumb:

Thanks, Boog. Yours is a true warrior, too, being banged up like he is. Congrats!    Be sweet, Boog, Santa is watching!

Yep, BoydBuc-  Glad your boy could get his medal too. He did a fine job. I thought for sure he had that match in the semis.  Don't you agree that it feels good to actually earn it... much better than just showing up at a regional tournament with a bunch of half-empty brackets and have a medal just given to you?  

Also, I never said the region is a bad idea.  I just was poking at BoydBuc for crying about a medal that doesn't really seem worthy of hanging on the wall next to Elvis. 

Bob, boydbuc was giving a lot of jabs.  However, D2 region bracket looked more full and tougher than some other divisions.  I was disheartened to see the brackets of our former region and others.  I love the sport and hope to see full brackets in every region/division.  We need more selfless men sacrificing their time to grow this sport with little kid programs.  The numbers in so many schools are too low.  I think it is reflection of the kind of kids being raised these days.  I wish parents realized that wrestling helps create mentally and physically strong men.    Glad everyone seems to have settled down on here. lol

Edited by anw