One of my favorites. Happy mothers day

kilroyO

A Wrestler's Mom

My son has joined a wrestling team. I don't know what to say.  I fear that he will stink like sweat after practice every day. I wish my son would play a game, or shoot a bouncing ball. Instead he joins the wrestling team, which has no class at all. My son is watching all he eats. He eats the foods he hates. He knows what foods are good for him. He has to cut some weight. He works to learn reversals and take downs that are planned. Hand control, when to shoot, and how to pin his man. His uniform's a singlet and the thing he calls “head gear”. That's all there is - no pads, no fuss, or fancy stuff to wear. He talks about his wrestle off, and how to take men down. He shoots, he pins, he's ready for any kid in town. The day has finally come. I dread what I must see. My son’s a grubby wrestler. Oh what a fate for me! A whistle starts the match. I want to holler stop. You mustn't horse around like that, but wait, my son's on top. Before I have a chance to cheer, they twist and turn so fast. My son is eating rubber with his face upon the mat. The buzzer sounds and I'm relieved to see it's at an end. But no, he hasn't finished yet. He takes the stance again. They shouldn't make him do it. I think he's had enough. Why does he grovel on his knees to prove that he is tough? The referee is watching each and every move he makes. My son must know the rules or learn from his mistakes. He cannot cheat or hurt his man or dare to throw a fit.  The ref will give away a point without discussing it.  With every muscle straining, he tries his best to win.  Perseverance is the key if he wants to make the pin. Adversity can't keep him down, they roll and bridge and turn. My son has found persistence, a lesson he must learn. His companion is endurance, as he strives until the end. And if he has the guts, determination is his friend. It takes a lot of courage and a certain kind of grit. Self - reliance, spunk, and pluck, are all a part of it. Each wrestler must give his all, no matter what the cost. His gain will be tenacity, even if he has lost. And when the match is over, the wrestlers will shake hands. Good sportsmanship is expected from every wrestling man. My son has joined the wrestling team, I'm proud to tell you why. He's learned the things that make a man and that make a mother cry.

(Unknown author)

• Like 1