City Paper proposes "Champions Bowl"

JohnJacob

click on the link below for story....the TSSAA would never go for this...they shot down a similar plan somebody had last year for wrestling....plus they would naturally make no $$ in the deal so they would not sanction it....

my thought: it's kind of late to be presenting this...it'll never happen...kinda silly really

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=17914

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunatly, this is an idea that is great for the game, would be great for the kids and everyone involved. This virtually assures that the T$$AA will do everything in its power to stop it.

Ideas like this are GREAT!! But whoever it is that votes on these type things within T$$AA does not care about the game or the kids. They care about their own agenda. It is really sad that this great idea and generous offer will likely get no help from T$$AA. It is just sad

Who is to say the Class 5A champ is the best -- Maryville may be the best team in the state or even Melrose.

Do you think for one minute that the 5A winner would want to turn right around the next week and play another game -- their 16TH!!!! and play a team with three weeks rest!

The City Paper is going to foot the bill. Lets say Kingsport or Germantown win - then they'll have to pay motel fees, mileage, food, insurance for the players, pay officials (and where are they going to get them?), stadium rental, police protection, vendors, media coverage.

City Paper cannot be serious about this.

Section 11 of TSSAA bylaws do not allow this type of game, but of course, the City Paper was aware of this I guess.

[Edited by conway on 11-25-02 1:16P]

i'm not sure which division you're referring to, but i can assure you that mba would play the game as long as they were given notice pretty soon. since their season is over, they're gonna be packing everything up and moving on to another sport in the next week, so this thing would really have to start moving.

This is a great idea, I agree. The only problem I see is cutting into basketball season. The City Paper says they would foot the bill, so the TSSAA wouldn't be losing money and heck, maybe the City Paper could even give them a little piece of the gate just to make them happy. I'm going to chose to be positive and think that it might happen.

Great idea! The Blue Cross Champion will only have played 2 more games than the Private boys with 2 extra game's worth of injuries! Don't know what games you guys have been watching but I haven't seen anything left on the field by the winning or losing teams. These kids are laying it on the table every play and I don't see how they can have another game left in them! The City Paper are idiots for even suggesting this....as is that moron from Maryville! Man, those folks over there must be smoking their mountain laurel...sure think a lot of themselves!