BEST WRESTLING COACHES, PRESENT

matrat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give Redraider the benefit of the doubt and declare that his mistake was a combination of his obtuseness and my obliqueness. However, when I did write "it's only 30 miles from his(referring to Logsdon) school and I aint talking about Athens", I thought most guys could do the math and infer Baylor and/or McCallie. How was I to know a Baylor graduate would read my post?!!

Empro, I agee with all the coaches you mentioned in your post they are all very good coaches, but let me set you straight on some of the statements you made about Bradley. It's obvious that you don't know all the facts about your statements regarding Bradley.

1) Bradley has had 3 transfers from Red Bank..Damon Floyd, Casey Cothran and Shawn Cordell. Do you really believe that if Bradley had recruited those wrestlers that Red Bank wouldn't have had the TSSAA look into it? Of course they would have. There was no recruiting or financial aid given to any of those wrestlers. Bradley has had a wrestling team since 1973-74 - 30 years and have had 3 varsity wrestlers move to Bradley(this is an area I admit McCallie has far exceeded Bradley) Oh yeah I almost forgot Brad Lane from Bradley/Baylor/Bradley is back at Bradley but has yet to step on the mat even for practice. But thanks for the compliment anyway. I will compliment McCallie as well for their recruiting efforts even though they actually did get the death penalty because the had too many paid athletes on their roster. I'm not insulting McCallie I'm just stating the fact. Yes, the McCallie teams you mentioned were great teams and a product of great recruiting.(another compliment)

2) Bradley quit wrestling McCallie when Turner Jackson was the head coach at Bradley because of what he felt was an unfair advantage the private schools had(see 1.) It just so happens that Coach Logsdon also agreed with those same principles. (By the way Bradley did wrestle and defeat McCallie two years ago at the Cleveland duals...and please no excuses).

3) Coach Logsdon has traveled to the Va. Duals 2 of the last 3 years and has competed against teams that were/are ranked nationally higher than any team from Tennessee. He has also faced some of the top teams from Georgia and Alabama year after year. (so there goes your theory regarding his calcualting for easy competition.)

Since you said you're a relative newcomer I'll overlook your ignorance on Bradley Wrestling Facts! I hope you don't take any of this as an insult. I just thought I give you the facts so the next time you posted about Bradley you could state facts and not hearsay.

Empro, There are some of us who are not "newcomers". We know Steve Logsden and have known him for years. We know the Bradley wrestling program and have known it for years. We have made our own judgements on both. Neither needs our endorsements. They both stand on their own as symbols of pride for many of us of the Tennessee wrestling community.

Guest DukeofEarl

I was just thinking about all of this and that with the best coaches and I thought of something unmentioned. What about all of those coaches that have about three guys to coach? I think that it is really great that they love wrestling enough not to worry about winning. What brought this up was in a recent dual tourney I saw Tyner come. They only had three guys and they wrestled at this region touney. That is awesome. Of most things done in wrestling, that has got to take the most guts.

Just a thought,

The Duke

I like what u said about 3 wrestlers, it speaks a lot for a coach that can not only stick around for the program but also that he can motivate the kids to stick it out. There are a ton of good coaches in TN, you can make a point for more than half of the ones in the state as to why they are the best. I think all of them need to be given recognition for just being there for the benefit of the kids in the program. I don't know if anyone listened to what Dan Gable had to say about wrestling and how it can change a young persons life at the UTC-Illinois match but anyone participating in the greatest sport in the world deserves to be commended.