New Coach at LaVergne

dsantiago

You would have to think that Treadway, who was an assistant at LaVergne would be given a phone call. He has a pretty nice job at Blackman middle with a great principal. There are few head coaches already in 9AAA I could see applying. I just can't see anyone at those schools being interested in a change of scenery. As for assistants in 9AAA, Mt. Juliet, Beech, Gallatin, and even LaVergne have had a revolving door of assistants, so I'm not sure if there are any candidates there. Both Wilson Central and Hendersonville have assistant coaches who work hard in the summer with their kids and always have great summer teams. I don't know either one's name, and don't know if they would be interested. Maybe JDMTPB could help out. He could tell us if any of the Beech people are interested and probably knows the two assistants at the other schools that I can't think of. I do know LaVergne should be a good job for someone with facilities in place and a good principal.

Hendersonville - Andy Gilley played at Beech for me, graduated in '95. Will be a good head coach someday but as well as I know him I do not think he would be interested. Have not talked to him. Andy was a primarily a pitcher.

Wilson Central - Jody Atwood played at Lebanon and Cumberland, previously coached at Friendship. Would do a good job as well, but I don't know if he is interested

Beech - Brandon Jaggers played at Beech and Vol St and Belmont. Pitcher in college, also played SS and OF in HS. Brandon is just fine right now with the assistant role, is getting married next fall. He played for me and just like Andy, they are great kids. I don't see him moving anywhere in the near future.

Smyrna - new assistant coach Looper, could see him probably being interested, former head coach at Livingston.

I honestly don't see anyone from this northern area being interested enough to interview. My understanding of this program is this : (and I base this on coaching at Beech for 9 years and having seen this district change over the past 4 years doing the mtpb and tbr websites) Lavergne's first ever district tournament final four appearance was in 1998. The group of kids have been very good since then. However, from my understanding, the number of talented kids coming up is getting smaller. I am not close enough to the situation to know this for a fact, but I do know that talent runs in cycles, sometimes a school may have a 4 to 6 yr run and then it falls off. Also, from the same sources, they tell me that the kids at the school are high maintenance, in other words, you have to always keep an eye on them because they get in trouble a lot. Again, this has been told to me, I do not know personally. Now all kids are this way to an extent, but I am told it is a big hassle to be taking care of discipline "all" the time. And from my perspective, I agree with that statement, but again this is just what I have been told.

If this is the case, I can see either an assistant in the Rutherford Co. system, someone young, wanting a head coaching job for the first time, an MTSU graduate perhaps... and on a final note - how many Matt Scott's, RA Dickey's, come around? Matt Scott led a team with some 3 or 4 other college type players and they rode his back to the title. RA did the same thing with 2 other college players on that team. So I don't think this job is a "super" job that some people think. What I will say is that, the facilities are decent, the job will be in a district that is very competitive and the coach will have to work extremely hard in order to be successful. Just like any other job. Excuse the rambling.

• 1 month later...

I hear it will be Steve Williams, former Head Coach at Smyrna. I believe he will also be an assistant football coach, possibly the D-coordinator. I think Steve is at Overton right now but I don't think he is coaching this year. Just what I heard don't take it to the bank yet.