OFFICIAL quote of the century!!!!

Stokomo

This year has been a tough year for officiating. There have been numerous questionable calls made and fans all over, along with coaches and players are questioning their ability to call games. I heard the perfect quote told to me by the greatest basketball player to ever play the game. This QUOTE goes for ALL levels of basketball.

The GAME will be better WHEN.........

PLAYERS lessen their EGOs,

COACHES lessen their EGOs,...........AND

OFFICIALS realize that fans don't pay their money to see them!!

[Edited by Stokomo on 2-12-03 11:19P]

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly agree with the last 1/3 of this quote. I remember a parent of an all-state player and former player(now teacher) saying/yelling (yep Cman- PW) to a group of refs: " The players are the stars tonight, not you guys"

So many games it seems like the officials have to

"take control" and never let the players play the game.

I even saw an example of this last weekend at at 7-8 yr old

rec. game. LET THE PLAYERS BE THE STARS...

Go Eagles...!!!

[Edited by CosbyEagle on 2-12-03 9:40P]

About a week ago we were down 12 with 2:23 to play. During the timeout we told a player on our team as soon as his man got the ball to foul and put him on the line. Obviously, we were hoping for a miracle. We figure if he misses and we score we got a chance. They inbound to this player and our guy slaps at the ball with one hand and checks with the other. No call ! Instead the ref yells at our player to get his hands off because he's fouling. The guy slips by our guy and shoots a lay-up. I jump the ref and ask why we didn't get the foul and instead my guy gets beat because he was talking to him. He says:

"Sorry, I didn't realize how much time was left, I was trying to give you a break."

Please refs. I don't want my team or my opponent to get a break from you. The breaks come from our play or the basketball gods.

This is just one example of what we( some coaches )mean when we say some refs are not up to speed.

This guy did not even know how much time was left in the game. I bench players for that!! Too bad I can't bench a ref. :D

As a coach, I agree that many refs are not "up to speed." IO have had more than my fair share in football and basketball who needed to go "one-on-one" with a rule book. I have also been fortunate enough to have had some good ones. I feel that it is not a ref's job to keep up with how much time is on the clock. Whether its in the first minute or the last, their focus should be on the game. To be fair to both teams, he shouldn't know the score, either. I know they do notice these things, but in all fairness, shouldn't. The only exceptions would be a case of the final seconds in a very close ballgame when a whistle could blow and the clock lose time. Then, perhaps the refs should be able to see the correct time on the clock. If the refs are watching the clock, how can they call fouls? Then, if the refs are calling fouls, they should be consistent from start to finish. If its a foul in the first quarter, it is in the fourth quarter. This would eliminate the "I was cutting you a break by not calling that foul" from the refs.

I realize that this is all in a dream world, but I just wanted to throw that out there. Hope I didnt offend anyone, b/c that wansn't my intention.

I agree, mostly. My problem was more that he wasn't aware on the game setting. PLUS. I don't like it when the refs coach my players such as the hands off comment. The refs were pretty good that night. They didn't cost us a game or anything.Just my two cents on a common problem we're having as coaches trying to compete with refs during the game. If I tell my player to do something I don't want a ref telling him different. I just want them to call the game. If my coaching causes a game violation they should call it, not correct it.

Guest falconradio

Our coach was whistled for a tech at a game earlier this year. After the tech free throws were initiated, he called a timeout. During the timeout our head coach stared down the official who called the tech because he wanted to discuss the tech with him. Another official came over and told our coach that he could not look at the referee. A new rule coaches, you can't look at the officials after a tech. hahaha how funny is that!!!

[Edited by falconradio on 2-13-03 10:58P]

As I put on here some of the problems in basketball, I will give credit and name them also. These refs are good and called a good game. Lynn ???, Richard Church, and JoJo Johnson called a great game. They let the players play and only called fouls if the other team would gain an edge, JUST AS THE OFFICATING BOOK SAYS....

My hats off to you guys for a great job well done!!!! Guess what....we still lost the game but I will give credit where credit is deserved.

P.S.....the JV game's officials were VERY Diplomatic!! ;)

[Edited by Stokomo on 2-13-03 11:36P]