Farragut vs. West

rolensohot

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the beginning of the season I would have told you that West could be capable of beating Farragut. But I don't think any of us realized how good Farragut was going to be this year. Game in, game out, they've delivered a consistent product on the field. In most years a team will have a bad game or two when nothing goes right. This year, Farragut seems to be above that.

Before the season started, West looked to be competitive with Maryville, William Blount, and South Doyle in contention for 2nd place. That having been said, West has played below expectations for most of the season due to the inability to hit on a consistent basis. They lost 1-run games to both Heritage and William Blount while collecting 5 hits and 4 hits, respectively. The pitching has been good, but not dominant. The defense has been spotty (3 of Bearden's 5 runs in the 5-4 loss to Bearden resulted from horrendous defensive mistakes). Therefore the bats must be more potent in order for West to win. Defense also contributed to the Maryville loss, although Jacob Holt pitched an outstanding game for Maryville.

IF West can get its bats working (that's a BIG IF against Kyle Waldrop) then they might keep the margin in single digits. West also has to make the routine play defensively.

Don't get me wrong I'm a West fan and hope for a good game. But realistically I expect a double-digit loss.

once again nothing is guaranteed....this game has to be played. Farraugt is not the winner by default on paper. But I think West will get Farragut on one of their better days after a team discipline run yesterday and some players trying to prove themselves. Thoes two things right there are the driving factor into todays game. I am sure that they will not break into the bullpen with Waldrop on the mound but hey whats new. the gametime is 6:00 not 6:30

[Edited by FightinAnchor15 on 4-16-03 11:37A]

This is coming from someone with "West Colored Glasses", but I thought the game was closer than the final score indicated. The score was 5-1 in the fifth when West committed the error at 2nd which would have been the 3rd out of the inning. However, I don't think Farragut's lead was ever in doubt after the 4-run 2nd inning.

West managed 6 hits to put some pressure on Waldrop. Kyle did a great job of getting strikeouts and outs when he needed them. With the exception of one error, Farragut's defense was excellent, highlighted by 3 consecutive defensive gems about the 3rd inning.

Congrats to Farragut on a well-played game.

it was a nice step the farragut took tonight in the game...playing all 7 innings giving people more at bats and giving the pitcher the test of having to pitch a complete game. oh yeah and for the fans who might show up a little late and only get to see a couple innings of the normal 5 inning game got to see some more tongiht. It made me proud.

In no way did they or will they ever.....you were there, did you see anyone lay down? I think what FA15 is saying (although I would never try and speak for him) is that as the year progresses teams are getting better and playing at mid-year form......and playing the full 7 is a "good thing" for the Admiral's.

SK - Thanks for the clarification. I also intended no disrespect. I was still a bit keyed-up after the game when I replied to FA15.

I have tremendous respect for the Farragut team and I've seen nothing but good sportmanship displayed by the Farragut players and coaches.

I thought overall West gave Farragut a good effort. Some of West's seniors stepped up and swung the bats like they are capable of. Ultimately the talent differential won out in the end.

Hope you guys take care of business this weekend in the Sportsbelle Classic.