What has happened to Bearden?

REBELRON

Bearden used to be one of the top Baseball programs around. They used to kick Maryville and Farraguts tail. They have went downhill badly. Did losing their coach( Name escapes me) a few years ago hurt them this bad? I have always talked about how important coaching is.

When I watched my nephews Maryville teams play against Bearden from 1997-2000 I always thought Bearden was a well coached team. Fundementally sound.

I don't know all the details, but Bearden had over 10 seniors on the 2001 team.

With the exception of Farragut, most of the public school Knoxville teams go through ups and downs because they don't have a consistent flow of talent entering school. Part of what Bearden is suffering through relates to this cyclical flow of talent. I'm not aware of that many Bearden juniors or seniors who are playing for one of the better summer teams (Thunder, Yard Dogs, or Stars). However, I don't know this for a fact.

Losing that many contributing seniors in 2001 means that underclassmen have to grow up in a hurry when it is their turn. The 2002 season was tough for that reason. 2003 seems to be tough as well. I understand that their JV program is doing quite well this year, which may mean that they are building toward a better season in 2004.

Also, their long-time coach (Permakoff) left the program either after the 2000 or 2001 season (not sure which). From previous posts to this website, I'm aware that a Bearden pitcher was allowed to pitch over 150 pitches early in the season. IMO that opens the coaching up to some scrutiny.

A couple of Bearden's district rivals have been a little stronger during the past couple of years as well. Bearden may find themselves more competitive as these teams lose experienced seniors.

If I'm wrong on any of this, I would appreciate a Bearden fan correcting me.

i start for bearden as a sophomore as a catcher and i can saythat we only start 2 or 3 sophomores 2 juniors and the rest are seniors..we dont hve much pitching and we have struggled a lot this year with pitching and ourpitchers have trouble throwing strikes...we walk to many people and you cant give people free bases and epect to win against teams like farragut william blount and maryville