Cookeville Football

disgustedfan

Oh boy, well I have just returned from the CAV Jamboree and what a disappointing night. The CAVs were defeated by 3A York Institute 14 to 6.

The CAVs had no enthusiasm, and there were mistakes by the bushel. Our running back fumbled 3 times, our kicker missed the extra point, York ran the misdirection plays and the CAVS acted as if they had never seen that type of play before.

Of course Buckner, Turner and Toline never saw the field due to injuries but it proves the lack of depth in CAV land. Also QB John Ledford only played one quarter.

I regret to say it but unless there is a major adjustment the CAVs might be at the bottom of the pack in Region 3 5A.

i hate to say it but youre right, we had very little enthusiasm as if we didnt want to play. i know we had some key players out but thats no excuse for our performance. we need to get mentally prepared for games, instead of just walking out there and expecting to win. although tonight was a major disappointment i think we can turn it around and get ready for white county. we have seniors trying to step up and take leadership roles, we as a team just need to respond to their effort. we also need some guys to step up and try to take control of the guys that are holding the team back. i think the team will come together but we need to do it in the next seven days.

disgustedfan, RTcavs, and other Cookeville HS supporters...

I am not from the Cookeville area, but in reading between the lines on CoachT it appears that there are some major issues with the sports programs at CHS.

The Cavs have always had good programs in the past. What is causing all of the dissention and discouragement? Is it administration, coaching, parents, players, or all of the above?

Good luck, and I hope y'all can get things going your way again soon.

kangaroo,

Thanks for your interest in the CAVS. As far as baseball we have had 4 different coaches in 5 years. Most of that is due to administration and parents. Administration will not give tenure before 3 years and a few parents try to run the program. Mostly parents who have coached their sons in earlier leagues and now think their sons are the greatest. I believe we have a coach now in Butch Chaffin who can turn the situation around. He is a CAV with a lot of community support. The history of Coach Chaffin is that he will play the best nine regardless of who their fathers are.

As far as football, Coach Joslin has done a great job in building momentum for the team. They have over 90 boys on the team and years ago when I was a CAV we did well to have 30. Last year we won the regional championship, but we lost almost all of our line. Coach Joslin seems to frown on any displays of enthusiasm and consideres it hotdogging. Because of that his team has gone the opposite direction and displays no enthusiasm. A few players on the team have displayed emotion and have been collared because of it.

As far as softball they are doing good and soccer has competed for the state title the last two years.

Basketball this year will be a struggle because the cupboard is bear from what I hear.

Yet the school is growing the talent pool seems to be expanding so I believe and hope that better days are ahead.

In response to disgustedfan, basically this was nothing but a scrimmage, with 2 quarters of freshmen football, the 3rd quarter was JV and the 4th was varsity. The Cavs did not have the best game, but it is definitely not time to preach gloom and doom. The Cavs scrimmaged Austin-East on Wednesday night, so it did not surprise me that they did not have their best game. Joslin will have his team mentally prepared when the season starts, you can bet on it. Seems to me that the same thing happened to the Cavs last year and they ended up region champ. They will gel and play as a team and be successful.

Disgusted Fan, you are right! We didnt have any enthusiasm at all. We also were not mentally prepared for the Jamboree. The little mistakes we made added up and hurt us alot. The good thing is the little mistakes can be fixed. No one can say that it was just the backs or just the lineman's fault. We all made mistakes. Yes, Buckner, Turner, Scalf, and Toline were hurt. That is no excuss for the way we played last night though!! We are going to put this behind us and now focus on Sparta. I would bet anything that we WILL be ready for Sparta. GO CAVS!