Why must teams run the score up

Contender

I say run it up,score all you can. Now I`m not saying leave your starters in the whole game but when your JV is in don`t stop trying to score, mix up the run and the pass,I don`t belive in ever stopping till the game is over. What I hate is to see the winning teams starters in against the losing teams JV.If I was coaching and saw that I would put my starters back in, if you want us to stop put your JV in.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I never played h.s. football I was the 15th man on a 15 man basketball varsity squad... And when on those rare nights I got to play not only did I not let up because it was a blowout I tried even harder to score and make an impression... in the hopes that I would get noticed and moved up to 14th or 13th on the depth chart...

It didn't happen and the following fall I turned to radio... where I had some semblance of talent...

Likewise you can't ask a 3rd string sophomore not to score in a blowout because for many of those young men it may be their only chance to ever get into a box score. I still have the clipping of my ONLY varsity box score in a scrapbook at home...

I've been on both ends of lopsided scores. We won one game 52-6. My team was up after one quarter 24-0 and 32-6 at halftime. In that game, my starters didn't get on the field after halftime. I played jv players entirely, including special teams. I even put players in different positions than their normal positions, just to practice for emergency "what if" scenerios. The result was my 3rd and 4th string players still being better than the other teams starters and 2nd team. We drove down the field and scored on three drives running nothing but full back dives(with 5 different fullbacks). The other coach knew I wasn't trying to embarass his team. He had his team focusing on getting better, despite the score. I felt that my kids had worked hard in practice against the starters and deserved to play to their potential. We let the clock run continuously in the 4th quarter, and everyone left respecting each other. There were no hard feelings, everyone got to play, and no one got hurt. Thats what football is all about.

(Let me begin by saying this story may not be 100% accurate, but the message is.)

I remember an article from years back when Joe Paterno took his Penn State team to play Bobby Bowden at Virginia. After Joe Pa totally humiliated Bowden by winning by a huge margin, a reporter asked Bowden how he felt about Paterno "running up the score" on him? Bowden replied; "It is not coach Paternos responsibility to keep his team from scoring. That is my defenses' responsibility. Therefore, there is no such thing as running up the score!"

I subscribe to Coach Bowden's philosophy. Don't whine about getting your butt kicked! Get better!