Suffering Withdrawal?

64TNChamp

on WGPTV. Yesterday's games were quite entertaining, especially the AAAA Marist vs. Thomasville Central. Marist finally got the "monkey off'a their backs:" a public school (TCC) had beaten Marist 5 times in a row (Imagine that, a fancy, private school loses five and exits the playoffs at the hands of a stupid ole public school.)

In the big AAAAA match-up, Camden County (far Southeastern GA) beat Newnan (a 3000yd. passer and previous victor over #3 Northside and #2 Parkview-only second loss in 56 for Panthers). Camden County runs a 3-5-2-1 defense and has impressive numbers this season: 454pts. only 30 against.

If you don't have that kind of cable for the Buford game today (AA--running back, D. Walker, is on short list at ND, FLA, others, and Buford streak near 50 wins) or 9:30pm, AAAAA, Valdosta vs. Westside-Macon, GA Public TV said the games are archived and viewable on their website.

Edited by 64TNChamp

i was at the games ( 1A thru 5A ) lincon co. ( 1A ) is as good as most 3A / 4A teams in TN . lagrange won in the 3A matchup and a former TN coach , sid frits ( warren co. ) lost to charlton co. ( 2A , school where the baileys : champ and boss played HS ball ) 4A was by far the bets game of the day. TCC lost to marist 34 -21. marist is a typical private school . nothing too fancy . wishbone , option , and all they do is execute. the QB for TCC ( erik walden ) is a specimen . todays 3A game has a top prospect in it . AJ Bryant ( QB for peach co. and a UGA commitment ) is the real deal. over 2500 yards passing , about 20 TD's and clocked at 4.34 atthe nike combine down here. tonites 5A game is the one to watch

westside-macon is coached by robert davis ( old HC @ warner-robbins ) against the granddaddy of them all , valdosta. 9:00 est .

RollRED and Top,

Excellent 4A game, Tucker vs. Statesboro,OT 5A,Valdosta leads 21-0 at 6:32 in 2nd.

My impressions of Georgia 1A thru 5A at this semi-level: 1A to 3A, each team has one potential Hershel or Jerome, the guy dominates and the supporting cast is coached in fundamentals, although the game is a played a little high and tackles aren't really stuck until you run into the above "guy." (ouch)

At the AAAA and AAAAA levels all four teams have 2,3, or 4 guys destined for major football schools, e.g. during Saturday's telecast I heard Miami, Nebraska, Gerogia, Auburn, Notre Dame, LSU, Florida. Georgia is a huge conduit to fund major programs (there are 9 players from GA on UT, many more at SC, Clemson, FSU, etc.). It appears that each hamlet has several large bodies to fill the middle and more than adequate skilled outside help, then a playmaker or 2.

The experience of letting A thru 5A play in the Georgia Dome is a treat for fans and rural teams.

Marist looked good; Top, your critique is spot on. I'm sure they should beat Statesboro. The format has them playing the championship at home.

At Dobyns-Bennett in 1964, Rome (since spilt) came to Kingsport. (20-6) I'd love to see more interstate play: Nashville and Chatanooga are not that far from Metro Atlanta.

If EC holds service, I'll have seen State Champions from GA, TN, AL, KY, SC, NC, LA, and FL play at least once (add CA, TX, NV, OK, NJ)--Great year, lots of fun.

The BEST TEAM: The Drummers from ECA: in 3 losses!--indefatiguable, unphased by the defeats, rhythmic energy, bounced back to "beat" again. FOUR STARS

Edited by 64TNChamp