West Carroll/Greenfield

cardinalking_42

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clint is a huge reason for our success this year. Noone is down on Clint. Clint knows basketball better than you do, he is adjusting his game to help the team. You and ifiruledtheworld keep promoting Clint to keep shooting 3's regardless.

Thats the way it use to be but looks like we are making a few positive changes.

Keep up the good work Clint, Brandon, Jeremy, Daniel, Thomas and the rest of the 2003 team. Its been fun watching you come together, Coach Trevathan is doing a great job under a difficult position to be left in.

What exactly has Clint "adjusted" in his game? He shot 1/10 on threes against West Carroll, so he's still taking his shots. He's always driven to the goal when his defender over-plays him, so that's not different. What is?

I am not promoting Clint to "keep shooting threes regardless," only good threes within the flow of the offense, which he normally does. I have never denied that Clint doesn't take an occasional bad shot. He took two against West Carroll and both were blocked. It seems like you don't like any of his shots unless they are lay-ups or 3s that go in the basket (and we win as glsn5 pointed out). Just because a three pointer doesn't go in, that doesn't make it a bad shot.

And since you brought up the bad shots, Clint is not the only player on the team who takes bad shots occasionally. Brandon takes bad shots sometimes, as do Daniel, Jeremy, Brett, and the rest of the team. Its part of the game.

I will agree with your statement about the team coming together, and Coach Trevathan has definitely done an exceptional job with this team under the circumstances.

jvaughan, Carey hurt his knee against Lake Co. I believe.

balla, I agree Clint is a better all-around player this year, but I don't think the coaching change has anything to do with it. Clint worked hard all summer (he was at the gym almost every day from what I have been told), to get himself better defensively and to get better control of his ball handling and driving. If you'll remember, he drove quite a bit last year when he could, he just was not as under control when he went up as he is this year.

I can't imagine why we think you are down on Clint, with all of the wonderful things you have said about him (see quotes from you below):

Greenfield has one All State player Brandon Shane and four good role players. When and if the players figure that out and are content to play their roles, look out for Greenfield.

Four good role players? Clint is a role player? C'mon man.

With the game on the line and everyone in the gym knows that Shane is going to get the ball inside and score but no lets shoot a wild 3 pointer. Go figure.

Milan was bottling up Brandon on the inside. Its hard to get the ball to Brandon if "everyone in the gym knows" he is going to get it.

We had better discover some other game plan other than shooting 3's or look for a 10 win-15 loss season.

I'll take my chances with the threes.

Noone is down on the Blackburn boys, they just need to play team ball and not one on three ball.

How are they not playing team ball, especially Daniel?

I didnt say that Clint has to quit shooting but he has to take better shots. He is forcing so many shots when he isnt ready, he needs to get set and he will make nearly 50% of his shots. Right now, I doubt if he's made 20% of his 3's this year. You cant win making 20% of your shots.

Just because he misses doesn't make it a bad shot. And I have rarely seen Clint or anyone else on the team take a shot when he was not set. Actually, Brandon is the most likely player to take a shot when he is not set. Of course he hits a lot of them, so I guess they are good shots, right?

Blackburn is still the #2 man on Greenfields team and he needs to accept that role and play within himself is all that I am saying.

I don't think Clint or anyone else on that team thinks they are the #1, #2, or any other player. They are a team. When you start labeling each other as #1, #2, etc., you have players playing individually.

I've seen Blackburn miss 15 in a row in a game last year and he never quit shooting. That was early in the year before Greenfield started winning and made the run in the tournaments. Blackburn knows how to drive to the basket but he isnt doing that this year, he'd rather shoot ten feet behind the 3 point line with a hand in his face.

15 in a row, huh? I don't remember that one. And I think Clint has drove to the basket all year. He has done it more in the last few games, granted, but he has done it all year. And by the way (once again), if he doesn't shoot the ball, teams aren't going to play up on him, they are going to play him to take away his drive to the goal.

I dont think (keep launching 3's) is the answer when you are having a bad shooting night, it wasnt the answer when Greenfield played their best ball at the end of last year.

There's only one way to score - to shoot the ball. If he doesn't keep shooting, who will?

It was a much needed win, it sounded like another poor 3 point shooting performance from the Blackburn boys. How many games will it take Greenfield to figure out that you win ballgames inside with Brandon Shane. If the Jackets continue to play a 3 point game, they can expect to win about ten games this year. They wont beat a good team shooting outside and forcing up bad shots.

See above.

Blackburn has his good nights I'm sure but last night wasnt one of them. He should have been passing to Shane instead of shooting.

See above.

Greenfield will have a very good team when Blackburn is on but those nights when he goes 3 for 20 he might ought to think about passing the ball to their best player Brandon Shane who is one of the best players in class A ball in the state. All I'm saying is Shane is Greenfields go to guy not Blackburn surely when he's shooting like last night.

Again, see above.

The Blackburn kid of Greenfield shot Greenfield out of the game tonight. I think he was 3-20 in three point attempts against West Carroll. John Taylor of West Carroll gave Blackburn a lesson in shooting, had 26 points and the game winner in last nights game.

Shot them out of the game? Granted, he had a bad night, but did you see the rebounding Greenfield did in that game? Me neither, there wasn't any.

The Blackburn kid shot Greenfield out of the game. I think he made 3 threes out of maybe 20 shots. John Taylor gave Blackburn a lesson on shooting. Blackburn needs to realize that Shane is Greenfields go to guy. Greenfield is not a very good team with Blackburn out of control like he was last night. He picked up a technical foul and showed an attitude problem all night.

Out of control, attitude problem?

The Blackburn kid has got to get a handle on his game before Greenfield will ever be very good this year. He needs to realize that Shane is their go to man when they need a basket. How many threes did he shoot? I think he might have made 3 threes all night and he took 20 shots. The Taylor kid of West Carroll is a much better shooter than Blackburn at least last night.

See above.

I looked at the quotes and out of the 14 you said something to the effect of Clint shooting 3's or Greenfield shooting 3's. And besides Clint who else for Greenfield really shoots 3's so yes in all 14 you singled out Clint. I think ifiruledtheworld has you on this one.

Just a question but are you from Greenfield? And if you are did you play while you were in school?

Thanks for the info on Carey. I didn't know he was hurt. He is probably the only scoring threat that Gleason has. Didn't he make All-District last year?

balla, as vaughan said, you may not have actually stated his name in each post, but you (as vaughan explained) implied that you were talking about him. As he said, Clint is the only player who really shoots many 3s. Daniel and Brandon have shot some, but not many. Brett has shot very few, and I don't think anyone else has shot any. So who did you mean, if not Clint?

I don't doubt that you stand by all of your posts. You've flip-flopped back and forth each game depending on whether Greenfield wins or loses.

vaughan, yeah, I think Lucas Carey was an all-district selection last year (can you tell us, glsn5?). He was the only consistent scoring threat they had this year. Without him, their offense and rebounding will suffer.

And just what would you propose should be changed with the team, coach?

Nobody can shoot unless your name is Brandon or you're directly under the goal? What if Brandon wants to shoot a three? Is he allowed to shoot from the outside? Because that's all you'll have if no one else can shoot from outside. You see, there is this thing called defense. And the purpose of defense is to keep the opponent from scoring. If the opponent does not shoot from outside, guess what the defense is going to do? Give up? They're going to back off of the offense and stop the entry passes to the post and stop the guards from driving. Then what? Is it okay to shoot then?