top team in knoxville

thsstatebound04

Memphis kids play basketball year round. Football and baseball are not focused on in Memphis like they are in East Tennessee. As splains said, they have more opportunities in Memphis to play ball via AAU and sanctioned competitve Church Leagues. First off, drive around Memphis and you can find a game in almost every neighborhood at any time of day. Do that around Knoxville and you might find 2 or 3 games and you have to know where to look. It used to be different around K-Town, but there are no goals between the tennis courts at UT, HPER is closed to outsiders, Alumni Gym doesn't have courts anymore, Doc Overholt sold his house and the court went too, Fountain City Park is nonexistent, the Clinton and Oak Ridge Community Centers aren't what they used to be, married student housing on Sutherland used to always have games, along with a couple of the frats on campus. There just aren't opportunities to play except at a couple of parks on the eastside and you better know someone if you go overthere. If it weren't for Morgan Quinn and his spring(Northwest) and fall(Karns) leagues, then there would be nothing that keeps teams competitive beyond AAU around K-Town. Don't get me wrong, there are good football (Melrose,Ridgeway) and baseball(Germantown) teams in Memphis, but not like in the East. Also, Memphis is just bigger and has many more athletes. Austin East, who is perennially the best team in Knox, will be playing in the Dyer County Xmas classic this week. Those teams are on the outskirts of Memphis and they will be the toughest teams AE(until the Boro) plays all year, and that includes Howard and Brainerd. The East teams that go to the state more than others like Fulton, Science Hill, AE, Greeneville, Cosby, etc. find it out every year when they go to the Boro and play. AE is by far the most athletic program in East Tn, but look at White Station, Hamilton, Fairley, Mitchell, Booker T. Washington, etc...there are 10 AE's in Memphis, and they usually are bigger and quicker. There is an occasional East Tn team that rises above it, but they are few and far between. It's just a different atmosphere in Memphis when it comes to hoops....I wish it were different, but anybody who goes to the state tourney every year, can see it first hand. I've been going for 8 years and it's just a reality that those of us who coach or play in East Tn have to face.......

whooaaaaa hold up.... memphis does not focus on anythign but basketball.... what about baseball.... they are dominate in summer ball have 2 times as many good teams and have won the 18 year old world series like 200 times they are better than knoxville in most sports, not just basketball

Edited by STATEment04

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chill you obviously only know about basketball because West TN and the Memphis area are stacked when it comes to baseball! They have a team and training center called the Dulin Dodgers that dominate summer tournaments annually, then Germantown, Houston, and many other high schools are tournament teams every year and if they were in east TN or middle would dominate

That's go to be the most rediculous ranking i've ever seen. Chatholic 2, no way. And if i remember correctly i think farragut beat maryville and it wasn't by just a few points. And the only reason Farragut only beat webb by as many as they did is becuase their JV team played the entire 4th quarter. So keep that in mind. I dont have a problem with Fulton or AE on top because right now they are playing the best ball. However if Farragut beats fulton tomorrow night i would have to put them number 1.

yea basically knoxville is a horrible town to live in, its boring and has a very small talent pool for basketball but that seriously farragut is not the fifth best team in knoxville, as long as they continue to play well as a team they will win ball games and thats all that really matters...who cares if they shut a team out or win by one point...as long as that 0 stays on the right side of the win loss column you cant say much about them