Camden

b-ball

The last game that the Camden lions have had against Riverside, was some of the worst basketball I have seen played. I did not go see the McKenzie game but I did see that Camden won barely, it seems crazy to me that a team that was supposedly full of weapons and were predicted by several to win the district are struggling and losing to the lowest teams in the conference. If they can not beat Riverside how are they going to beat Bolivar when region comes around.

a lot of Camden's problem is their coach. Barry Martin is a nice man, but he is not a good basketball coach. when Riverside scored 15 or so straight points to start the game he never once looked at his bench or called a time-out to change the game plan or cool the panthers off. when i talked to people on the camden side they told me that Coach Martin never made the team watch film or develop a game plan before the game. he simply runs the same drills over and over again.

he also seems scared to take his starters out, after Riverside scored 27 points in the first quarter he subbed all five but only for 1 minute in the first half. He never plays his subs. and all i hear about is how deep Camden is this year but in three games I have yet to see it. There are only three or four people to come off that bench and usually there is less. Even when French missed his first 10 shots (exaggerating) he kept him in the whole game. He also had Bain who is a great post defender guarding the 3 guard who stayed out at the 3 all night and killed Camden. He never made any changes to his plan (if he had one) all night even though it was obvious to all but him that the change was needed. Camden wins on talent alone and with a decent coach I think that they could win their division. But I think that we will never know what Bain and Reed would be capable of if they had a coach.

Edited by b-ball

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B-ball,

Great first post.

?

:D

Maybe you have just been reading here on Coach T developing your style...

The Camden players are a great bunch that CAN play good ball together. I am a bit disappointed that it doesn't seem to happen as often as many thought it would this year. With Bain & Reed's strength, I really thought we could beat a bunch of folks with that combo alone...and a few BrianFrench treys for good luck!

;)

The Lions beat Waverly (10-4) early and lost to Lewis County (14-3) by only 2, so I don't know why any one is picking out the McK game as "one to brag about". I guess the standard is Bolivar (12-2), but I am thinking they will beat a BUNCH of folks in Tennessee THIS year...maybe even Riverside...

:D

Early on, the main concern for this team was play at the point, and Harris has done a great job for his first year running the offense. Has needed some more scores, but that is coming along as the season progresses, recently had 14...

As far a CON-tenders or PRE-tenders, I think the jury is still out. They have the talent, but sometimes it seems like we really don't know HOW to attack on offense and it affects our hustle, (Chandler NOT included!!!).

Time WILL tell...and really, it all comes down to the District Tourney...

I wish you and your team well, Sir!

GO LIONS!

B ball you sure know the game don't you. Look at Camdens bench, it is weak. We go like 3 deep for a reason. If you knew anythng about good shooters, when they are missing the only way the will start hitting is by shooting. French is a good shooter. He will hit thoughs shots. And another thing, true Mckenzie isn't much but I do believe they took Milan into OT. Then if I recall Milan just beat Southside. So as I said .....What Do You Know! Maybe you need to coach, you obvisously have the answer to all Camden's problems. They might not be contenders every night out, but you are talking about HS kids not pros. They are not going to be consistent every night. I have a feeling Bain and Reed will get it done. They will prove you haters wrong.

The last game that the Camden lions have had against Riverside, was some of the worst basketball I have seen played.

he also seems scared to take his starters out, after Riverside scored 27 points in the first quarter he subbed all five but only for 1 minute in the first half. He never plays his subs. and all i hear about is how deep Camden is this year but in three games I have yet to see it. There are only three or four people to come off that bench and usually there is less.

First off, Riverside scored 20 in the first quarter, not 27. Also I wouldn't go as far to say that what you saw was the worst bball ever played. You must have only seen the first quarter, because that is one of the greatest comebacks that I have ever seen, even though Camden still lost. I mean, Camden's shots were not falling at all and Riverside seemed to just throw it up and went in, also Riverside's crowd were very pumped up.

Secondly, I have never heard anything about Camden's depth. They have abut 3 people that can come off the bench. If you take Reed, Harris, Bain and Chandler of late, out of the lineup for over a minute, Camden would struggle to put points on the board.

Yes, French has struggled of late. He hasn't scored in the past 2 games. But I think he is the best shooter on the team. You have to get his confidence back up, and the only way of doing that is for him to hit some shots.

This Camden team is very talented, and have yet to play their best ball, I think. RUGDU is right, they always seem to play to the level of their opponents. Once they get in the groove, hopefully around tourney time, they will be top-notch contenders.