Columbia Academy throws a punch

mtsu82

I just came from a game between Columbia Academy Girls and

Zion Christian Academy and have never in my 49 years have I ever

seen such poor sportsmanship...the fans were rude, and the thing that upset

me the most was that one of the varsity girls threw a punch at a ZCA player

and hit her...The CA player was ejected but it was the attitude that upset

the parents of the visiting team...the ref's had to request that the student section

stop harrasing the visiting team. One of the ref's had his daughter in the game

and it became quite obivious who he was leaning for...but the fact that one

player(a girl) actually threw a punch..and the fans were cheering her on was

something I never see again in my lifetime....

I hope the TSSAA looks into this matter..

mtsu, you are very right. I am a Zion fan, who was at that game. The reffing was terrible, you could DEFINATLEY tell there was "hom cooking". The fans were terrible, but thats typical of a CA, Zion game, for we are such big rivals... but thats NO excuse.

that's funny,,,,I quess she got ejected for going for the ball???? the

newspaper described it as a flagrant technical foul(daily herald-01/21/04)

I don't know either one of these teams, but for informatin purposes only, "Flagrant technical foul" does not mean someone threw a punch. It could only be an agressive action, but there does not have to be contact to be ejected. Again, wasn't there, don't know what happened, but the girl will probably face a 1 game suspension by TSSAA for being ejected.

The game is a game, just let the rules work. Someone said the ref was a dad, then someone said he wasn't, someone made it sound like a punch was landed and someone said no one got hit. Before we go to far & label this rivalry as being more than it is, let's get ALL the facts in before we judge. Did the coaches help calm the problem on the court, did the players, did the fans, whose fault is this.

Just a question from someone outside looking in.

Burse did not throw a punch, she was ejected for agressively trying to maintain possession during a jumpball situation. There seems to be a lot of overreacting on the part of most of the people posting. Sometimes tempers flare in a competitive game, so let's not make more of this than it was. However, Burse will be suspended for two games for the flagrant techinical foul, not one game.