Pitcher workouts, exercises

basebasketfan

Well for me its all about light weight and plenty of reps. Last year I did the "heavy lifting" and all it did was make me lose velocity. Do alot of leg/ab workouts. Getting your legs in great shape is a key for exploding off the mound. Abs are the same- good firm abs will give you that drive to plate. My pitching coach says building your forearms is a key for pitchers, so really focus on them. Pushups and using arm bands are incredible for arm strenth. Like I said alot of reps and you'll be just fine. Throw long everyday and you should see results- thats all I have. Hope my personal workouts help you out

The best way to increase your speed and stamina is long tossing. Weights help, of coarse, don't geet me wrong, but they don't help near as much as long tossing. Do it all year long, especially in the offseason. Also in the offseason do some free weights and agilities along with running. But Long tossing is the key that helped me the most i think.

Kerry Rosenboom, strength coach at Wichita State University, and proprietor of "Rosenboom's Weight Training for Baseball" internet website has agreed to answer questions on the "High School Baseball Web" message board.

The forum will allow reader's to post questions and get opinions from Kerry on all things relating to strength and conditioning for baseball players.

I encourage players to take advantage.

Link: Strength & Conditioning

ABS, LEGS and rubber band exercises for the shoulder/rotator cuff.

I have been coached, and taught other athletes to limit the amount of chest work you do. Those muscles look pretty, but don't do a whole lot for throwing, better to do more back work (helps prevent injury).

I agree that reps should be higher, and weights should be lower. Remember to stretch after working out too, this will prevent you from losing any range of motion.

it is a bit late to start, but something is always better than nothing----

in college they trained us to stay balanced- equal distribution of exercises, with an emphasis on the back for injury prevention.