ER play day

wrestler87

There were some good ups and downs of this play day. A lot of teams showed that they are going to make a good team out of themselves. I know that Red Bank won all 4 of their games and really looked good against Cumberland Co. Any other teams show that they could surprise a few people this year?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did the Chattanooga paper list those teams as the 3 best in the city this year? Was that in Sunday's paper? I think Soddy will be good but they lost so much I don't think they are a top 3 team in Chattanooga right now. I think Boyd-Buchanan should be on that list...they beat Baylor twice last year and they returned virtually everyone.

It was in Sunday's paper, if you didn't turn the pages too quickly you may have seen it. That was a dog of a preview. Soccer, baseball and softball all stuffed into five columns of one page, and that included two pictures and boxes listing their opinions of the top 3 players on top 3 teams in each sport. The softball "preview" consisted of a feature on Boyd-Buchanan, a picture of Sarah Warren (a picture of her pitching would have been better than one of her crying even though the article was about their goal of returning to Memphis), and a small two-column box. The box had a short paragraph on their top 3 teams, Baylor, East Ridge and Soddy, and a short paragraph on their top 3 players, Adkins, Pauls and Warren. That was it. I am hoping that's not a sign of things to come in the sports coverage this spring. Baseball was the same way, just substitute a short feature on Baylor and a picture of one of their players. In the past, the previews featured every district and had things to say about nearly every team, giving returning leading players, probable pitcher, etc. In the last couple of years, they talked about a few teams in each Division, A, AA, AAA and D2, that wasn't very complete but it was a lot better than this. For a comparison, NASCAR and truck racing took a page and a half plus a column on the front with a huge picture of an Earnhardt pit stop nearly as large as any of the prep previews, and golf got a full page, Three of the golf stories were just pulled off the wire, I assume that's easier than mailing, faxing or emailing out surveys to coaches and spending a couple of hours compiling the info into something people actually want to read about. Yes, college basketball is in its best time of the year right now, and deserves a lot of space, but when a story about 7-4 possible NBA player from Korea gets as much space than local high school teams, something is wrong.

Well, not to bash someone else's opinion or anything again, but GPS also defeated Red Bank in a scrimmage. I just thought I would put that out there and I also agree with Indian, the Chattanooga Times Free Press couldn't care less about high school sports. They do so much more for football and all those other male-dominated sports, but I won't get into all that stuff, it's an entirely different subject.

bruiser4......gps beat red bank in a scrimmage....using no umpires...allowing only 5 pitches per batter.....red bank was ahead when they pulled their no 1 pitcher to use their no 4 pitcher.....most of the runs gps scored was from their batters fouling off pitch after pitch then one ball is thrown and they walk to first because of the 5 pitch rule. now tell me what does that prove.

baylor beat red bank in a scrimmage 5-4. red banks catcher did'nt play for some reason. using freshman catcher. a freshman pitcher went finished the last 3 innings for red bank....baylors winning run was on a 2 out dropped third strike that the young catcher threw over the first basemans head and baylor scored from third.....red bank had runners on second and third in the last inning 2 outs, baylors 2nd baseman makes a diving catch on a line drive to end the game. now what does that prove.......nothing.