Cumberland County

BBALLTN

Guest GoJets#1
GoJets#1 I don't think that you want to get past any reason other than the record

Most of my reasons dont have anything to do with the record, although the records of the boys coach and the football coach are not statistically more significant than AB. Also if post season record means anything, AB has out performed them there. Reread my previous complaints about a retiring principal firing someone and my point that the new principal should be the one that makes any coaching changes. Reread my opinions about the good ole boy system. The record isn't even close to be the number one reason why I think Hodge is wrong!

Why can't Cumberland County be a hotbed for basketball talent. What do all of these other counties have, something in the water. No! They develop their talent. Something that hasn't been happening here

Cumberland County has never been a hotbed for talent in any sport! As long as momma and daddy think they know more than the coach, sister is not going to be coachable! Let me give you an example. I sat beside some of our mothers at a game recently and the team was holding the ball for the last shot of the quarter. Two moms were standing and yelling at the girls to "go shoot, dont listen to her, shoot the ball we are hot"! I couldnt believe my ears! The parents were calling for their girls to disobey their coach and do what MOMMA wanted! Apparently LM is not the only good coaching prospect in Crossville! Neighboring Roane county has five high schools and each of them has sent numerous teams to the state playoffs in the past few years in multiple sports. I don't know if its the water or not, but CCHS doesn't appear to be very competitive on the state championship level in ANY sports (except girls softball) like our neighbors. Here is a list of what some of the Roane County schools have accomplished recently to give you an example. Harriman has won state championships and been to the playoffs in football and basketball recently. Their girls basketball team has done well in their district and region. They have a strong baseball team every year also. Rockwood has one of the best baseball teams in the state and has gone to the state tournament for the last two or three years and was the last public school to be eliminated the last 2 yrs. Their football program went deep into the playoffs last year. Their boys basketball team went to the state this year. Oliver Springs football team went deep into the state playoffs and their girls basketball team made it to the state again this year. Kingston is a perennial powerhouse in football and both girls and boys basketball. Their baseball and soccer teams are always good also. Even little Midway went to the state playoffs in football a couple of years in a row. And they have produced some solid basketballs teams in the recent past as well. Imagine with all that athletic talent what would happen if you combined that talent into ONE county school like you have in Cumberland County! The point of all this is to say that its not just the girls basketball program that is not getting the great talent, its the whole school. And I think that there were 3 seniors on the team this year and two got scholarships to play college? Sounds like a good percentage to me. Now there is one thing that may explain the Roane County example....the radioactive waste from Oak Ridge flows down the river thru Roane County! Maybe there is something in the water!

Jetfan2 you sound like me in a lot of ways. We both want to win. I just think this whole thing is a major injustice. It was not handled properly and look at this post as an example. People are arguing over hiring and firing issues and the job isnt even open yet!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jetfan2 you sound like me in a lot of ways. We both want to win. I just think this whole thing is a major injustice. It was not handled properly and look at this post as an example. People are arguing over hiring and firing issues and the job isnt even open yet!

If only you could have said it this way in the beginning. Instead you had to sling mud at Leslie McCoy. Sounds like you just met your match. Where is all the mud slinging now that Mrs. D's and Mr. S's names have appeared? I hope that it has all stopped now.

The elementary coaches must do ok at their levels since freshmen play so much. Must give credit to pulling them together after being in different elementary schools. I have heard that Mr. S has 10 some years behind him. Is that true? What is his record?

GoJets#1

There are parents that don't like what any coach does. It is the Coaches responsibility to sell the parents on the program as much as it is to sell to the kids. When you get that you will start to see progress. There are going to be players that fall by the way side and then players that accept challenges and excel. I don't think the players here get challenged. By parents or coaches. They are just happy their coaching. The parents are just glad they are playing. There is more to winning than just showing up. If you go to some of these "powerhouse" towns and watch pratice you won't see kids talking while the coach is talking because they are expected not to. (the parents accept this because the coach is up front and tells them to expect it.) This is just one example of many expectations that are laid out for successful athletes. You won't see kids cruising town every night. They will be in the gym, or in the weight room or on the driving range, or just whatever it takes to make them competitive. We need someone here to place these kinds of expectations on kids and parents alike if we want to compete. If we want to continue getting what we are gettin' let's keep doin' what we are doing. If not why don't we start making changes. We can start with the worst record and go from there. Maybe, administrator is trying to start a trend for the new administrator.

Guest GoJets#1
If only you could have said it this way in the beginning. Instead you had to sling mud at Leslie McCoy. Sounds like you just met your match. Where is all the mud slinging now that Mrs. D's and Mr. S's names have appeared? I hope that it has all stopped now.

I have never been slinging mud at LM. Every mention of her was made in respect to the rumors about her getting the job handed to her on a silver platter! That has been my contention from the start. Whenever I said anything about her not being an experienced coach or deserving to get the job handed to her like that, I was simply making a case for my arguement. THAT IS NOT MUD SLINGING! I stated earlier that I had nothing against her personally.

I am not sure but are you slinging mud at me about meeting my match? :(

ONCE AGAIN, I am not slinging mud at anyone in particular with the exception of Hodge! He is the devil in this whole mess (and if Van Winkle is using his AD power to do a good ole boy thing then he is a devil also). But I hope you will get it thru your THICK head that my displeasure with the firing is not mud slinging at a particular person (LM). Every time I made remarks about her lack of qualifications or getting the job thru the good ole boy system was not mud slinging, that was stating my displeasure with a possible corrupt deal!!!!!

And I guess that since its posted here that Mrs. D and Mr. S are interested that its now gospel? This post is meaningless in real life and means nothing to anyone but those of us that are debating the issue. Once again, in case you are hard of hearing, I am NOT slinging mud at candidates, I AM upset with the corrupt (in my opinion) process and the unfairness of it all. Only a fool would think that LM would be the only candidate to apply for the job or at least be interested. Of course other names (whether real or rumored) will be mentioned. If there are 1 million applicants for the job, it doesn't make the events of the firing of the current coach legitimate or right. So please, tell your wife or sister or cousin or whatever LM is that you defended her honor well but that you were wrong about me. I could care less about LM or you for that matter, all I care about is CCHS lady jet basketball and how terribly wrong Hodge is! Does that clear up any misconceptions? I hope so.

Guest GoJets#1

Jetfan were are gaining ground here but I do want to express that I dont agree with this...

It is the Coaches responsibility to sell the parents on the program as much as it is to sell to the kids

Coaches are authority figures. It is not their job to sell themselves to parents or players. Parents should respect coaches from the start and set the example for their kids. My previous post is a perfect example of how parents can undercut a coach....and I witnessed that one with my own two eyes! My parents taught me that whether I agreed with my coach or not, he was the boss! They never called a coach or jumped one and told them off or even complained if I got playing time or not. Now I see parents my age doing all those things. And our kids see that!!

I don't think the players here get challenged. By parents or coaches.

I personally know for a fact that AB would spend time after practice to work with players individually and do anything she could to improve her kids. I have seen her show kids drills and things they needed to do on their own and the kid went away and didnt work on anything she told them to do. A coach can't go home with each player and hold their hand each night and make them do the things they need to do to get better.

I dont know what the parents are doing. But if you think about it, the parents are the ones that can have the power to make the kids work at home, they have (or should have) control over the internet, video games, tv, phone, cars and anything else that kids waste time doing instead of working of their skills.

There is more to winning than just showing up. If you go to some of these "powerhouse" towns and watch pratice you won't see kids talking while the coach is talking because they are expected not to. (the parents accept this because the coach is up front and tells them to expect it.)

Well said, you are totally correct. But once again, I know AB and I know she is upfront with kids about respecting her. But let me tell you a little secret. Respecting authority figures like a coach is a reflection of the parents training (or lack of it)! A teenager will not respect a coach or any authority figure unless their parents have trained them to. Its too late by the time you get in high school for a coach or teacher to install something that the parents didn't do when the child was young!

You won't see kids cruising town every night. They will be in the gym, or in the weight room or on the driving range, or just whatever it takes to make them competitive.

AMEN again! But once again, a coach can't follow the kids home and force them to want to be better!

We can start with the worst record and go from there. Maybe, administrator is trying to start a trend for the new administrator

AB does not have the worst record over the history of her tenure as a coach here. And again, post season play is the thing that separates good coaches from the bad. She has gone to the post season more than the other coaches. But that has been debated here already. If I were the new incoming administrator I would want Hodge to keep his filthy hands off my coaches until I decided who I wanted to keep or fire. Once again, he doesn't have a horse in this race any longer unless he is doing a good ole boy hatchet job!! Douglas MacArthur said "old soldiers never die, they just fade away". Why can't Hodge just fade away? The answer is, he has a favor to do first and he has done it!

Edited by GoJets#1

I think that Jetsfan2 said it all. I believe that you also brought up the freedom of speech earlier.... goes both ways. :P haha This competition is getting fun.

As for being a family member of Mrs. McCoy, would I be on here wondering like everyone else about what is really going on, if they have the inside track? I would already know wouldn't I. :lol: haha

I think McCoy deserves a fair shot (if she chooses) just like anyone else. If you have a problem with the AD, why take it out on her? Go talk it out with him and leave her alone is all I say. Name calling (Hot shot,etc) was not called for if you meant to only go at the administration.

As for the favors??? Wasn't it stated that the AD didn't oversee the hiring or firing of personnel?

Guest GoJets#1
As for the favors??? Wasn't it stated that the AD didn't oversee the hiring or firing of personnel

traveler2 you just dont get it!

hodge is the one that hires and fires and HE is the one doing the AD the favor!

Got it now?

Coaches are authority figures. It is not their job to sell themselves to parents or players. Parents should respect coaches from the start and set the example for their kids. My previous post is a perfect example of how parents can undercut a coach....and I witnessed that one with my own two eyes! My parents taught me that whether I agreed with my coach or not, he was the boss! They never called a coach or jumped one and told them off or even complained if I got playing time or not. Now I see parents my age doing all those things. And our kids see that!!

Well said, you are totally correct. But once again, I know AB and I know she is upfront with kids about respecting her. But let me tell you a little secret. Respecting authority figures like a coach is a reflection of the parents training (or lack of it)! A teenager will not respect a coach or any authority figure unless their parents have trained them to. Its too late by the time you get in high school for a coach or teacher to install something that the parents didn't do when the child was young!

AMEN again! But once again, a coach can't follow the kids home and force them to want to be better!

If I were the new incoming administrator I would want Hodge to keep his filthy hands off my coaches until I decided who I wanted to keep or fire. Once again, he doesn't have a horse in this race any longer unless he is doing a good ole boy hatchet job!! Douglas MacArthur said "old soldiers never die, they just fade away". Why can't Hodge just fade away? The answer is, he has a favor to do first and he has done it!

So, I take it from your posts that parents should teach their kids to respect authority. The coach is always right and shouldn't be second guessed.

Might the administration deserve that same respect...or did your parents teach you to respect your coach but not your principal? Double standards here...

You appear to be very close to the whole situation. You were challenging a previous poster about their relationship to LVM...what is yours to AB...husband, assistant coach, ????

Did you already go to one of the powerhouse schools and observe for a while. It is in my opinion very important for a Coach to get buy in from parents on what they are doing. I don't mean they have to go over X's and O's. They have to set guidelines and expectations and go by them. If a player can't follow these, they can't play. The coach may only have five or six players for a year or so but soon everyone will reform, if they want to play. These rules have to apply to every player not just certain players. It might be good if some of the know it all parents see these last three posts as well. If Cumberland County wants championships this how you get it. It would also help me find some dedicated people to hire in the real world, instead of a bunch of cry babies.

(I am not necessarily implying these things about AB, this is for a championship caliber program in anything.) This applies to more than athletics as well.

I know what kind of demands AB had. I watched enough of the games to witness what the expectations were.

I know one of the other programs (see if you can guess) had higher expectations than that of the girls program. I watched enough of the games to witness what the expectations were.

Guest GoJets#1

traveler2, inquiring minds want to know why you are the self-appointed defender of LM? You seem to be very touchy about the subject!

Name calling (Hot shot,etc) was not called for if you meant to only go at the administration.

And yes my problem is with the administration and anyone on here that is trying to sling mud at a coach that has given her all to the program since she was hired. AB went far beyond just being a coach for those girls and now she is being repayed by having her good name run thru the mud by people posting false records, winning percentages, lies about her never playing high school ball, etc, etc. I think it is mighty gallant of you to stand up for LM and protect her honor but yet where were you when the lies and mean things and mud slinging were being aimed at AB? Once again, inquiring minds want to know! There is nothing worse in this world than a hypocrite. If you are going to be the defender of ladies honor, I suggest you do it for all, otherwise, it makes you look like one!

And while we are on the subject, I called her hotshot eds and annointed one to drive home a point in those posts! Those were not cheap shots but descriptors used to fit the tone of the posts at that time. For example, one person made a big deal over the fact that she was working on a eds and that somehow that was supposed to mean should would be a good coach. So I used the term hotshot eds to emphasize how ridiculus that was. Same thing with the annointed one remark. The tone of that post was that LM was getting the job (actually rumored to be getting the job to be more accurate) because of a good ole boy deal between her father and the principal (which I still think is true). So I used the term annointed one to describe someone that had been placed in a position without having to earn it. Look it up, that is how the term "annointed one" is often used! I guess maybe the education level of this post isn't as high as I thought. I hope now that you can understand that those terms were not mud slinging and personal attacks but phrases used to describe how idiotic some of the posts in here have been.

Yes we are getting some where this is much more civil.

I agree that there are more problems than just the coach. However, I think that the coach should be able to convince the parents that what they are doing is in the best interest of the players. When the parents see the effort they will start to respect what the coach is doing. However, there will always be parents that are not pleased. That's when you tell the players when the dedication and the effort are there then the playing time will be there. There won't be any choice but to play them if those things are present. If players watch the stands then they need to sit in them.