Karns Vs. Powell

impactbball

Congrats to the Panthers...

This game was nothing like I expected in scoring with a 14-9 score. Shane Ownby didn't have his best stuff tonight and Kevin Cummings (LMU signee) was also not his best, but does go to 6-1 on the year with the win.

Powell scored first with 3 runs in the bottom of the 1st inning, all unearned as the Beavers committed 2 errors. The Beavers would score 4 runs in the top of the 2nd inning on two hits and two Powell errors (1 earned run). Powell would take a 6-4 lead in the bottom of the 2nd inning on a HR by Herman and a 2 run HR by Derek Treece. (3 earned runs).

No one would score in the 3rd inning, but Karns would score 4 runs in the 4th inning (1 earned) on 4 hits and one Powell error. Karns sent 9 to bat in the inning and I thought the runner that was throw out at the plate should have been held at 3rd. Kevin was sort of on-the-ropes and the Beavers would of had the bases loaded with 2 outs. Powell would tie the game at 8-8 in the bottom of the inning as two runs would score on two Powell triples and an intentional walk to Derek Treece. These two hits were scored triples, but I thought both should have been caught. (2 earned runs, but ??)

I thought Powell won the game in the 5th inning as Shane started the inning after throwing 90 pitches over the first 4 innings and was hit for 3 runs on 4 hits and 1 Beaver error (1 earned). Karns would score 1 run in the top of the 6th inning as Cale would steal 3rd and come home on an E2 on the throw and cut the lead to 11-9.

Shane would leave after the 5th inning and soph Evan Patterson would pitch the 6th inning and with two outs and a routine ball back to the pitcher, Evan would take his time and make a E1 on the throw to 1st base. Powell would then add three unearned runs for their final 14-9 total.

I had Powell for 13 hits, 6 errors and Karns had 7 hits, 4 errors.

On a side note the umpire in the field missed a few calls, not that it would have made a difference in the outcome, but they were pretty bad misses.

You probably had the same base ump West seemed to get early in the season ;) .

I give Cummings credit for resiliency. Remember back in week 1 he hung around and won a 9-8 game at West.

I saw the name "Cale" mentioned in the narrative. I take it his injury wasn't as serious as feared?

Bizazz,

Cale came back from his surgery last Tuesday to play tonight, but he wasn't his old self, he was two for 4 tonight, but not his usual at the plate. He also had an E6 on the throw that might have got the Beavers a double play and out of the inning without the 3 runs in the first.

But it was nice to see him back, 1/2 a Cale is better than many in the state. ;)

Edited by HiwasseeVol

I really don't understand what all the Karns people think about Cale. He isn't that good. For him to be rated as one of the top shortstops in the country is a joke. The so called ALL AMERICAN got one ball out of the infield last night and the 1 that he did get out of the infield was a bloop right over 2nd baseman. He is not that good so stop talking about how he makes such a difference. Karns was definately a better team without Cale. O yeah and if it wasn't for daddy Cale wouldn't be going to Alabama.

I really don't understand what all the Karns people think about Cale. He isn't that good. For him to be rated as one of the top shortstops in the country is a joke. The so called ALL AMERICAN got one ball out of the infield last night and the 1 that he did get out of the infield was a bloop right over 2nd baseman. He is not that good so stop talking about how he makes such a difference. Karns was definately a better team without Cale. O yeah and if it wasn't for daddy Cale wouldn't be going to Alabama.

I'm sure you're just posting this to get a reaction, so I started to not say anything.

Sure, it doesn't hurt that Cale's dad is who he is, but I hope HiwasseeVol will share with you some of his year to date stats.

Cale wasn't 100% last night - his first game back from suffering a broken nose.

College and Pro-scouts don't spend time and money offering scholarships and making scouting trips just to appease Daddy. It's a business for them. Ask Coach Delmonico if he'd like to have Cale follow his older brother to UT.

Whether someone is the #1 or #5 shortstop is entirely subjective. But there's no subjectivity involved in assessing Cale's ability. He has traveled across the country to various showcases and pro-camps. If he were doing it with mirrors, or on reputation alone, someone would've figured it out by now.

You achieved your purpose, you got a reaction. I don't have a dog in this fight, but will speak my mind when I know that someone is being trashed undeservedly.

Try someone else next time. B)