WHO WON THE KARNS VS. HALLS GAME

SCOREBOARD27

For the second game in a row, the Beavers out hit their opponent and lose the game. Tonight after again falling behind by three runs in the 1st inning, the Beavers would rally to take a 6 to 5 lead after five innings.

Halls would respond with 3 runs in the top of the 6th on two hits and two Beaver errors. I thought Chase Portwood, Dustin Black and Spencer Long had good at-bats for the Red Devils as they had 6 RBI's between them.

Perry Sigmon for Karns had a good night going 3 for 4 with 5 RBI's, Perry had two doubles. Heath Cheverton was 3 for 4 with a triple.

Willie Buchanan pitched a complete game for the win (6 K's, 2 BB) for Halls and Shane Ownby (4 K's, 5 BB's) took the lose for the Beavers. The walks issued by Karns hurt the most as 4 would come home to score for Halls as well as the two Karns fielding errors would lead to 2 Halls runs. This was in contrast to Halls as only one Beaver run would come home by error and none on walks.

Karns finishes 9-3 in District and if Powell beats Campbell County on Monday, they will also finish 9-3 and would get the #1 seed in the tournament based on their overall record. If this happens, then it's the second year in a row that Karns would finished tied for 1st in the regular District standings.

Karns had their chances the last two days.

Now it's time for the season that matters "Tournament Time"! Good luck to all.

I know its head to head tie breaker, but if Powell gets the number one seed arent they considered the overall winners. I mean, they beat the right teams at the right time obviously. Last year I pitched for Powell and beat Karns in our last district game, this gave halls the number one seed and they still clame to be "District Champs of 2003?" It seems to me if you win the right games and get the number one seed, then you won the regular season. Right?

I know its head to head tie breaker, but if Powell gets the number one seed arent they considered the overall winners. I mean, they beat the right teams at the right time obviously. Last year I pitched for Powell and beat Karns in our last district game, this gave halls the number one seed and they still clame to be "District Champs of 2003?" It seems to me if you win the right games and get the number one seed, then you won the regular season. Right?

It was explained to me last year that if two teams were tied with the regular district season record then they would be co-champs of the District. The tie breaker's are used to determine the seeding for the District Tournament (1-7). The tournament is used to determine which two teams go on to play in the region tournament.

I know that some thought different last year, but I can only tell you what I was told by the coach.

Edited by HiwasseeVol

Thanks for the info.. it's somthin I've been wondering about for a while. It seems our district always ends up close, and the number one seed hasnt won the tourny that often (with the exceptioin of Halls last year) . I'm kinda glad we got third, I think it will help lite a fire in some of players to step up in the tourny.

IMO if two teams play the same number of district games and finish with identical records, then they should be called co-champs. Obviously the tournament has to be seeded. But that doesn't take away from the fact that both teams had EQUAL success during the district.

Edited by bizazz