7-AA District Tournament

QueenBee

@Jackson County High School

Monday, May 10

Game 1 4:00 #4 York vs. #5 Jackson Co.

Game 2 5:30 #2 Dekalb Co. vs. #7 Upperman

Game 3 7:00 #3 Livingston vs. #6 Cannon Co.

Tuesday, May 11

Game 4 4:00 Loser Game 2 vs. Loser Game 3

Game 5 5:30 #1 Smith Co. vs. York

Game 6 7:00 Winner Game 2 vs. Winner Game 3

Coin toss to determine 5th and 6th place TODAY...Jackson won the coin toss...over the phone????????...

Coin toss to determine 1st and 2nd seed, last night on the mound at Dekalb Co. Smith Co. won the toss.

Edited by QueenBee

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;) I think that York will have enough pep in them to go along way in the district tourney. Yeah, they have been struggling a bit here lately, but they have had to put up with a lot going on. They have had three or four people quit and they have their third baseman, Christina West, hurt and their shortstop, Lauren Hull, just getting out of the hospital. I think that they will be pumped up to play the game with Jackson on Monday. The first time they played them, York defeated Jackson by a long shot. The last time they played them, York left the game defeated. It was an embarrassing loss. The Jackson assistant coach told the York coach that their team has improved greatly since they had played them the first time. York is ready to come full blast to put all they have got out on the line. Lately, while the seniors have been on their senior trip, at one point... they had 5 freshmen in the infield. York is a young team. In a few years, York will be very strong. Good luck girls!!! :D

Softballgal....always remember...come district tournament time...it's a whole new ball game...anything can happen!...Keep those chins up...and play hard...good luck to all the teams in the district...let's have a good tournament!!!...

GO LADY OWLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I'm referring to keeping the format but just assigning a Region berth to the number one team no matter what their outcome is in the District Tournament. Even if the regular season winner loses in the District Tournament, they still get home field at the Regions.

I've heard this brought up a few times and today it was compared to playing all season long to win just a #1 seed in tournament play. There seems to be not enough reward for winning the districts.

Anyway, it's just a thought. Baseball seems to have gotten it right. I also like the format of double headers at distict games. This typically promotes development of more pitchers.

Ok....I understand now...and yes...that would be even better...because I like the atmosphere of having all the district teams in one tournament if for nothing else...as a celebration of the season...and for all of them to be together at least one time during the season...

I've always found it wrong that the team that battles for the district title has the chance of not making it to the regionals...because to me that is the team that has shown the ability throughout the season...not just a one or two game deal...

If they could take the district winner...and the district tournament winner...that would be great...

This year in District 7-AA...we have a tie for first place between Dekalb Co and Smith Co...a play-off game....team that scored the most runs?....what would you do to determine a winner?

First, I would determine who had the best record against the team in second place.

If team A and B are tied and A has beaten team C once while B has beaten them twice, then B should be #1.....shown below.

District Regular Season Rankings

Win / Loss Record....

1. A & B......if A has beaten C once & B beat them twice then B is champion.

2. C

3. D

4. E

5. F

6. G

7. H

Now if both A & B beat C equal times then check it against D and so forth.

This grades the teams by strength of schedule. Kind of like a mini BCS used in college football.

Some consider runs against then runs scored as a tie breaker but you have many schools trying to develop 2nd and 3rd pitchers. This would cause havoc and try to make everyone run rule even the weakest team because it may wind up going that deep in the rankings to determine it. Most coaches don't like spanking a team when they have control of a game and will stick a young pitcher in to develop hence, few to no young pitchers would ever see the mound with a run determined tie breaker. :unsure:

Got ya...and it sounds like the way to go...I would hope the new Coaches Association would be working on this plan you propose as a way to go...

I hate to see a coach leave their ace pitcher in when they've got the game won... running up the score benefits no one...but I know that it gets done sometimes...

I'll make sure our coach sees these posts so that he can add his support to this idea...

Evidently, 7AA District Baseball guarantees the regular season winner a region berth and a home guarantee in the region. If this is true, then what does the tournament winner get(runner up then travel away)?

As I understand the TSSAA formula allows each District in both Baseball and Softball to determine how they will send a #1 team and #2 team to the Regionals.

If a district choose to use only the regular season champ as #1 and the runnerup as the #2, then so be it. A season ending tournament would not be needed or meaningless.

I believe for softball that a season ending double elimination tournament is the best way to go for the following reasons:

1) All teams have a chance to make the regionals.

2) The tournament champion and runnerup most ofter represents the two teams

that are playing the best ball at the end of the season.

3) This gives a young team(they may finish say 4 or 5) who did not play well at

the beginning of the season, but they came together and played very well at

the end of the season.

4) The double elimination format gives the top teams the chance to comeback

and play another day just as it gives the lower teams a chance.

5) Yes, as QueenBee said the tournament is a celebration of the season, so all the

teams can arrive at the tournament with a renewed excitement & anticipation.

6) The Regular Season Champion does play for something which would be the

seeding. Do not over look how important the seeding can be. (If the Regular

Season Champion was guaranteed a Regional berth, then it seems they have

very little incentive as they approach the tournaments. All teams need to be

focused as they enter the tournaments.).

Just my opinion, but I have seen a lot of girls softball the last several years(9).

My only complaint with the TSSAA tournament format for Softball is the Regional

format which leads up to the State Tournament. I believe that the Regional format

should be a double elimination format as well!!!

Anyone have any additional thoughts or comments?

Edited by LJ1764

One thing needs to be done for sure give 1 through 4th place plaques away. Basketball gives four, softball should too. A regional runnerup in softball doesn't get a plaque, but guess what money sport basketball does. Lets make softball and baseball just as important.