Why Are They Playing The Tournements In Mississipp

Buki4life80

My thoughts also. Will they be Tennessee state champs or Mississippi champs.

It is a shame with all the great facilities in Middle and East Tennessee the young ladies has to play a state tournament in Mississippi. I know it borders Memphis and is a good complex but it still isn't Tennessee.Guess that just goes to show that Memphis and the TSSAA doesn't care enough about the ladies. How the TSSAA could sit back and allow this to happen shows just how the the organization has become.Made all the money off them they can then cast them off to the side.Motel rooms, taxes, parking and all to another state.

If Memphis can't support the Ladies move them to where they will be appreciated. Cities lined up that would love to host softball.

Maybe its about time that someone had a big season ending tournament for the 3 divisions at the same time.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I personally have no problem driving to Memphis every 3rd year. I think there should be a rotation. One year in Chattanooga, the next in Murfreesboro, and the next in Memphis? Why not do it like College Football where they rotate the national championship each year. I would love to have it in Chattanoog every year, but I also understand it can be hard on certain schools to get here and stay here. Just mix it up every year.

Now one thing that I like about Chattanooga's Spring Fling is that they host a much better quality tournament than Memphis. Despite the money argument and MEmphis being a bigger city, Chattanooga has much nicer facilities overall. Memphis might have one or two bigtime nice facilities, but overall Chattanooga puts on a much better tournament. THey've got Frost Sadium, Finley Stadium, Historic Engel Stadium, and BellSouth Park. Add to that Baylor, GPS, Chattanooga State, LEe University, Cleveland STate, and you've got a dang goog lineup of fields!

I agree that Memphis/ Southaven, MS is a long way especially for teams such as Unicoi Co. Softball. I believe Washington, D.C. is a closer destination for Unicoi Co., so you can get a feel for why the Memphis area is unrealistic for travel especially the fans. I know that West TN teams did not like the trip to Chattanooga for similar reasons, so that is why that Middle TN area makes more common sense than all the others. My opinion does not carry much weight, but the TSSAA does not have much common sense for the teams. I guess that we are talking about money ($5 parking fee at the softball complex speaks volumes).

We never had parking fees in Chattanooga for softball, but I shouldn't be too critical since we probably receive some sort of high level security. Southaven, MS is a lot safer than being in some areas of Memphis, so why the security. I had lived in Memphis for 5 years so I know first hand of the dangers. Last year after the opening ceremonies at Auto Zone Park my young son and I were badgered for money and followed to our car by a street person (criminal?). I will have to think long and hard about going back to Auto Zone Park again this year, so I hope that the teams will be okay. Please excuse my rambling, but I just had a few opinions and observations. We are certainly glad to be back at the State Tournament no matter where it is!!!!

P.S. Why were the outfield fences at Southaven, MS so far away last year? I think that down the line it was 220 feet and maybe 230 or 240 to centerfield. I wonder if that is going to be corrected? Most girls in TN play on fields that are around 200 feet, even the NCAA tournament at UCLA was 190 down the line and 210 to centerfield. I know, I know that the National Federation says that they can be that far (240 feet), but certain state tournament records could be increased such as more doubles and triples. Girls that normally hit home runs over the fence may not have a shot at a state record unless they hit it over their heads and they have some "wheels". Just another observation, so "LET'S PLAY BALL"!!!!

My thoughts also. Will they be Tennessee state champs or Mississippi champs.

It is a shame with all the great facilities in Middle and East Tennessee the young ladies has to play a state tournament in Mississippi. I know it borders Memphis and is a good complex but it still isn't Tennessee.Guess that just goes to show that Memphis and the TSSAA doesn't care enough about the ladies. How the TSSAA could sit back and allow this to happen shows just how the the organization has become.Made all the money off them they can then cast them off to the side.Motel rooms, taxes, parking and all to another state.

If Memphis can't support the Ladies move them to where they will be appreciated. Cities lined up that would love to host softball.

Maybe its about time that someone had a big season ending tournament for the 3 divisions at the same time.

You don't understand how they ended up there, then. It wasn't Memphis's fault.

Memphis was planning to use two or three different sites for softball, but Ronnie Carter insisted that there had to be eight fields in the same complex. Now, there is a place in Memphis with eight good fields in the same complex, but Carter won't let them move softball there because Greenbrook was nice to him last year.

And gradfromthenest, are you saying that Chattanooga's facilities are better than Greenbrook?

I agree that Memphis/ Southaven, MS is a long way especially for teams such as Unicoi Co. Softball. I believe Washington, D.C. is a closer destination for Unicoi Co., so you can get a feel for why the Memphis area is unrealistic for travel especially the fans. I know that West TN teams did not like the trip to Chattanooga for similar reasons, so that is why that Middle TN area makes more common sense than all the others. My opinion does not carry much weight, but the TSSAA does not have much common sense for the teams. I guess that we are talking about money ($5 parking fee at the softball complex speaks volumes).

We never had parking fees in Chattanooga for softball, but I shouldn't be too critical since we probably receive some sort of high level security. Southaven, MS is a lot safer than being in some areas of Memphis, so why the security. I had lived in Memphis for 5 years so I know first hand of the dangers. Last year after the opening ceremonies at Auto Zone Park my young son and I were badgered for money and followed to our car by a street person (criminal?). I will have to think long and hard about going back to Auto Zone Park again this year, so I hope that the teams will be okay. Please excuse my rambling, but I just had a few opinions and observations. We are certainly glad to be back at the State Tournament no matter where it is!!!!

P.S. Why were the outfield fences at Southaven, MS so far away last year? I think that down the line it was 220 feet and maybe 230 or 240 to centerfield. I wonder if that is going to be corrected? Most girls in TN play on fields that are around 200 feet, even the NCAA tournament at UCLA was 190 down the line and 210 to centerfield. I know, I know that the National Federation says that they can be that far (240 feet), but certain state tournament records could be increased such as more doubles and triples. Girls that normally hit home runs over the fence may not have a shot at a state record unless they hit it over their heads and they have some "wheels". Just another observation, so "LET'S PLAYing L"!!!!

They charge for parking because that's the only money the facilities get. They provide their fields rent-free, the ticket money goes to the TSSAA and to the organization hosting the tournaments (which will probably lose money, on the whole, for them). Security has nothing to do with it. None of the venues being used are in rough areas. There's a couple that are somewhat near some rough areas, but none actually in them.

"Tennessee state championships played in Mississippi" what a joke..

Why don't some media outlet get a hold of this and see what it stirs up?

You don't think the media talked about it last year?

"Some people were wondering why the TSSAA would put a Tennessee state championship event in Mississippi? I wondered the same thing until I ventured to the Greenbrook Complex here in Southaven." - Jim Steele, McKenzie Banner

Quit whining and come down here for it. When you're here, see if you have any complaints other than the drive to get here. Then come back to me on that.

Maybe we should just start playing it in the states that border Tennessee. The bad part of it is its a Tennessee state tournament and that is where it should be played. Iam sure its a nice place never been there but its not in Tennessee. Maybe somone else should come up with a end of the year tournament in Tennesee. Maybe that would get things going. Well just my thoughts .

So what you are saying is. The TSSAA is after the money and nothing else. Or did Greenbrook fatten up Mr Carters pocket. How were they so nice to him? Isn't taking royalties against the rules. If Memphis had the 8 fields why did they put the tournament in Memphis to begin with?

We didn't have a complex with eight softball fields in good enough shape for Mr. Carter. We have a couple of city parks with 8 lame fields for slow-pitch softball, and we have a few complexes with four or six good fields, but none with 8 as of last year. Now, one of them is up to 8 (maybe even 9), but Carter said last year that if the people at Greenbrook were nice to them, then they would probably go back, even if there was a good enough one inside Memphis.

Somehow, Carter seemed to think softball is above splitting it among multiple venues the way baseball always has been.