Knoxville Halls vs. Farragut for AAA State Champ

HiwasseeVol

I don't think Catapano will ever be the physical player that Kyle is in the scouts eyes. As for a high school pitcher, he had a "GREAT" sophomore year and I hope he has the next two just as great, but I'm not sure he will ever be 6'5" 190 and be put together as well as Kyle is.

How a player projects means so much to scouts and coaches. It's not a bad thing, just the way life is.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opperman- I just have to jump in on this one... You must be picking over the word "easily"!? Statement has seen every game each of these guys has pitched for the last two years and he's giving his opinion. You saw Kyle once and Rob once and each pitched very well. I personally think Rob would have done just as well against Halls and the outcome would have been the same.

Don't get me wrong ... I've known Kyle since he was five and he's a phenomanal athlete and an even finer young man. I don't in any way intend to detract from his success. However, Catapano has a great deal of potential and should be able to approach Kyle's performances at the rate he is going. If you check season stats, they're quite comparable now! Maybe it is a big statement, but those of us that know and respect both of these pitchers honestly feel that Rob is quite capable of putting up "Kyle-like" numbers on the mound.

He didn't say Catopano is "capable of putting up Kyle-like numbers". I won't argue with you guys saying that he's capable of it...that in itself is a big statement, but it's not one that I'm arguing. He'd have to have a zero ERA coming into the state tournament to be better than Waldrop this year.

I could tell from seeing Catapano in the semis that, yes, he's an outstanding young pitcher, and that he'll be one to watch the next two years. But is he really going to be BETTER than Waldrop? That's almost impossible.