Best 215 pounder in DII

daman107

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Ian Meredith of Notre Dame has to be the early favorite. He is pretty strong with very good technical skills, he impressed me at the state tournament last year in his match with Courtney Coffee of PJPII. Coffey is a man beast who clearly had a major strength advantage but Meredith held him at bay by simply out wrestling him the entire match. For similar reasons I would have to put Courtney Coffee at number 2, he is huge, even for a 215 and with the increase in skill level he is sure to have gained he will be a tough competitor.

From this point I see it being very tight between those who are returning. I don't know anything of the offerings from McCallie, Baylor, Ryan, etc. as they graduated most of theirs I believe. The West side of the state should be strong at 215 with returning medalist Jackson of Briarcrest (I believe has been focused on football until now), Joey Friend of MUS (has worked hard over the summer along with football), and Eric Edwards of Saint Benedict (attended several camps over the summer including the Iowa Intensive camp and should be much improved, in addition to playing football).

I believe that neither Nick Moore or Charles Green were seniors last year.

825426837[/snapback]

Walkenvol,

I just checked the brackets from last year's state tournament and Charles Greene of McCallie was indeed only a sophomore. I am unsure as to who Nick Moore is, was he the backup at McCallie. Also, Houston Holt of Baylor was a junior along with Matt Bubis of MBA. Judging by the performances turned in by Bubis during state last year he may very well be in the running too.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier that CBHS will definitely have someone solid at 215 this year, I am just not sure of who (I think it might be Anthony Hugaboom but I can't remember if he was looking at 215 or HVWT).

I believe this has the ability to stack up as one of the hardest / most competitive weight classes in the state this year.

Edited by WrestleSBA

I ran into Matt Bubis today. He is still playing def tackle for the Big Red. Advised he currently weighs abt 245. Not sure if he will loose or keep weight. I say this kid alot last year. He wrestled pretty well for his level of experience. I think, as does Frank, he has great potential.

For my beloved Irish 215 is up in the air. Possibilites include Coltane Riley, tuff kid, played linebacker. He has a nice mean streak.

Edited by irishdad

Irishdad,

If I were Bubis I think I might look into staying around heavyweight this year. Most of that weight was pretty young last year and I think it will certainly be an easier weight than 215, especially since he wouldn't be giving up too much weight where he is now.

As far as your kid goes, a good mean streak can win a lot of matches for a wrestler at that weight, particularly if he is any kind of athlete (and the linebackers usually are :unsure: ).

Am I mistaken on your identity but don't you still have one on the Irish squad this year? Any idea what weight he might be looking at?

Irishdad,

If I were Bubis I think I might look into staying around heavyweight this year.  Most of that weight was pretty young last year and I think it will certainly be an easier weight than 215, especially since he wouldn't be giving up too much weight where he is now.

As far as your kid goes, a good mean streak can win a lot of matches for a wrestler at that weight, particularly if he is any kind of athlete (and the linebackers usually are :unsure: ).

Am I mistaken on your identity but don't you still have one on the Irish squad this year?  Any idea what weight he might be looking at?

825426886[/snapback]

I am the same beloved Irishdad from the last two years. Yes, my son is a senior. As for where he goes, that is Coach Simpsons decision. I would say either 160 or 171. He was at 160 last year and has gotten much stronger obver the summer. I am looking forward to his last season. Thanks for asking..

No matter what everyone else says I always enjoyed having you around last year... you definitely kept things interesting. I am also looking for big things out of your son, this should be a very big year for him. We will have a tough senior at either 160 or 171 so maybe we will be lucky enough to see you come state time. Until then goodluck to you, your son, and the Irish. By the way, does he have aspirations of continuing with wrestling after HS? Just thought I would ask as I have followed him for a few years and feel he has the talent to continue at the next level.

No matter what everyone else says I always enjoyed having you around last year... you definitely kept things interesting.  I am also looking for big things out of your son, this should be a very big year for him.  We will have a tough senior at either 160 or 171 so maybe we will be lucky enough to see you come state time.  Until then goodluck to you, your son, and the Irish.  By the way, does he have aspirations of continuing with wrestling after HS?  Just thought I would ask as I have followed him for a few years and feel he has the talent to continue at the next level.

825426907[/snapback]

Thank you for the kind words. That is all tried to do last year . Unfortunately I made some folks very angry. It was not my intent. Please, tell me again whom you support. As for post secondary wrestling who knows. He really loves the sport, he has a good mean streak in him also. Coach saw it on the football field as a freshman and recruited him to the sport. Thank you for the compliment on his talent it is greatly appreciated. . My prayer is to stay healthy till state and then let the games begin. I my mind it is all a warm up till February..

Irishdad,

I am the assistant coach at Saint Benedict at Auburndale, a fellow DII school down here in Memphis who is trying to lay the foundations of a solid program so that we can eventually compete with the likes of Father Ryan. All of the sports at Ryan have such a great tradition that it really shines through in everything they do. I currently live with a Ryan alumni / basketball player and we get into talks about the differences in all the private schools all the time (of course they stay totally good natured :unsure: ).

I definitely agree with you on the warm-up, nothing that happens before February really matters, sure it is nice to win some tournaments here and there but you are really working for that state tournament. That is one of the things I love about wrestling, every tournament is like a chance to start over and prove yourself again.

Irishdad,

I am the assistant coach at Saint Benedict at Auburndale, a fellow DII school down here in Memphis who is trying to lay the foundations of a solid program so that we can eventually compete with the likes of Father Ryan.  All of the sports at Ryan have such a great tradition that it really shines through in everything they do.  I currently live with a Ryan alumni / basketball player and we get into talks about the differences in all the private schools all the time (of course they stay totally good natured :unsure: ).

I definitely agree with you on the warm-up, nothing that happens before February really matters, sure it is nice to win some tournaments here and there but you are really working for that state tournament.  That is one of the things I love about wrestling, every tournament is like a chance to start over and prove yourself again.

825426937[/snapback]

GoodLuck and GOD BLESS your Eagles! I hope to meet you during the season. Sorry about your choice of roommates..jk