Hickman County High School

okra77

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As being a alumni of Hickman County and played football for Coach Wright and True, I am ready for the dawgs to turn it around. I played in the 70's and we were very successful. With the right coach and assistants, the program will definitely grow.

Coach True came out of retirement to help the football team. He should applauded for during this. You always have a special place for your coaches the rest of your life.

Last year I went to watch one of their practices; The assistant coaches was cutting up and talking while Coach True was working with the team.

As an alumni, I want to help make the program better; With funding, etc but not getting in the way of the head coach doing his job as coach. They need a coach with strong morals, discipline and great ideas.

:P Mike Smithson is the AD and wants the program to prosper.

Once a Dawg - Always a Dawg.

"Bulldog 76" thumb

just from reading the posts it sounds like a lot of people care about the program and that it needs some direction and consistency why in your opinion has the program gone down

discipline

athletes

support

or just a combination

825438631[/snapback]

Look I'm not trying to talk anyone out of applying for the job but you've gotta look at it in a realistic way:

1. Hickman County hasn't had a winning season in a long time! You have to go way back to 1987 to find their ONLY playoff win in the past thirty years. I think they've only made it to the second round of the playoffs once in school history. The last few years has seen 1-9 seasons and the program is way down.

2. Look at the region schedule:

1. Hillsboro (Nashville) Always a powerhouse in football and may be the best coached team in the state!

2. Lawrence County (Lawrenceburg) Only region game that Hickman County could defeat and that would not be every season!

3. Maplewood (Nashville) Metro school with talent

4. Shelbyville Always has lots of talent and speed!

5. Stratford (Nashville) Loaded! Speed, talent, and a new found confidence these past two seasons.

6. Tullahoma - Great coach, almost always has talent on the team and on the way back up!

7. Whites Creek another Metro school with speed!

They have lost to a AA team the past few seasons and I just don't see too many Bulldog teams winning in the next few seasons. Is there talent there, probably! Can a great coach get it out of them? Maybe. Will any one man make the difference? Don't know if it is possible. Maybe down the road when they drop down but in the next two years, no way!

Centerville has some great people but you have to be a realist about somethings. There's always hope for change but the school's history doesn't make it look very probable.

As being a alumni of Hickman County and played football for Coach Wright and True, I am ready for the dawgs to turn it around.  I played in the 70's and we were very successful.  With the right coach and assistants, the program will definitely grow.

Coach True came out of retirement to help the football team.  He should applauded for during this.  You always have a special place for your coaches the rest of your life.

Last year I went to watch one of their practices;  The assistant coaches was cutting up and talking while Coach True was working with the team. 

As an alumni, I want to help make the program better; With funding, etc but not getting in the way of the head coach doing his job as coach.  They need a coach with strong morals, discipline and great ideas.

:D Mike Smithson is the AD and wants the program to prosper.

Once a Dawg -  Always a Dawg.

"Bulldog 76"    thumb

825438197[/snapback]

Hey I respect this former "Dawg" and his comments, and I also agree with him that Coach True is a great man and a great coach. But, I also think we have good assistants in the system now that can and will be a tremendous asset to the program and its future. Being a past "Dawg" myself and one of those assistants I too have a lot of pride in Hickman County and its football program. I was on the last Bulldog football team to make the playoffs in 1998, and I remember what it was like going into every game knowing we had a huge chance to win the ball game. I really love Hickman County and its people, thats why I am willing to work as hard as I can for the next Coach to make this program a success. If you are a Hickman Countian you need to read the editorial that Brad Martin wrote in this weeks paper, I think he hit the nail on the head and did a tremendous job in this article. I hope we can make this program better and take it back to what it used to be. Its going to take a lot of hard work....I am ready to go!!!!

Edited by dawgsfan71

Once a DAWG always a DAWG.. It can be done, it will be done. Actually HCHS was a traditional power in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. So it is not like they have never won it has been done it just has been a long time...

I AM OPTOMISTIC THAT THE GOOD LORD WILL SMILE DOWN ON THE MIGHTY BULLDOGS.......

Edited by hbc21

Amen. I agree. I do not reside in Hickman County anymore, as matter of fact, 25 years. But I keep up with the football team. The right head coach will make a big difference and bring some assistant coaches with him that has experience at the college playing level. My son has graduated from high school and now I plan to get to HCHS and watch them play and support the Dawgs.

It is great to see some post that know and care about Hickman County.

Is there anyone on the team getting any looks from any colleges?

Go Bulldogs!!!! thumb

I'm not trying to belittle the point but the next two years will not be easy for the Bulldogs! You guys will have to work very hard to compete with the talent coming out of Nashville.

What will L. C? look like next year?

Do you guys think Tullahoma is on the rebound for good this time?

And what happened to Shelbyville this season?