Prep Xtra Top Ten.....

chill

1. William Blount (4-0): Aaron Eakins is leading the way for a strong Governors team. William Blount has already beaten Bearden and Farragut.

2. Maryville (5-1): We'll see how things go when No. 2 Maryville travels to No. 1 William Blount tonight. The Rebels' loss was to Lebanon.

3. Bearden (6-2): The Bulldogs have lost to Bradley Central and William Blount, but have a talented backcourt led by Tony White.

4. Greeneville (7-1): The Greene Devils have a one-point loss to Bearden, but have beaten Austin-East and Clinton.

5. Fulton (4-1): The Falcons have been playing short of several players, thanks to a 3A state football championship. The loss came to Maryville in a Hall of Fame game.

6. Austin-East (5-3): Don't be fooled by the record. The Roadrunners are still among the elite in Class 2A. Losses came to Tyner, Bradley Central and Greeneville.

7. Alcoa (2-1): The Tornadoes will be hosts to Austin-East tonight in a key District 3-AA game. Football players are back and trying to get into basketball shape in a hurry.

8. Catholic (3-1): The Irish have a nice mix of inside-outside game and the loss came to a loaded Brentwood Academy team.

9. Halls (5-2): The Red Devils have point guard Cameron Sharp leading the way. Karns is one of the losses and could replace Halls soon.

10. CAK (4-1): Veteran coach Johnny Darden has turned the Warriors into a strong state contender. The loss came to perennial 1A power Chattanooga Temple.

Others to watch: Karns, Powell, Anderson County, South-Doyle, Oak Ridge, Clinton, Rutledge, McMinn Central, Rockwood, Cosby.....

This only includes teams that report to the News Sentinel......

Halls is probably the most improved team in the area...Sharp is a special high school player...overtime win over Heritage and come-from-behind win over South-Doyle, both on the road, were key for the Red Devils...with so much parity, the team that wins the most close games and gets a few breaks will be the one that makes a run...early on, Halls is that team...I think Fulton will be the class of the area by mid-January when the football players get in basketball condition.

Maybe I should have read the opinions of the experts before stating in another thread that Alcoa was the team to beat in Blount County. I wonder what they know that I don't...probably a lot.

My initial thoughts are

1. Maryville has several contributors who we've yet to see on the court b/c of football. WB does not. So, if these teams are close, look for the Rebels to leapfrog them possibly as early as tonight.

2. Alcoa has some studs coming back. They'll be moving up in the polls. Fulton probably does as well.

3. How long has it been since Farragut was not in the top ten? They're always good. What's going on out there?

4. Is Bearden rebuilding this season? Did they lose a lot of players last year?

I wouldnt say CAK is overrated I mean they are good for a 1A team and yes you are right all those teams probably could beat CAK but they are 3A and we are 1A.But we have worked hard and we do deserve to be on ther but its tour own opinion.

825478573[/snapback]

Since this list doesn't take into account classification (not that enrollment means much with private schools anyway), then you are probably overrated.

Since this list doesn't take into account classification (not that enrollment means much with private schools anyway), then you are probably overrated.

825478661[/snapback]

Hey mav,

I'm looking forward to the Powell/AC game monday night. It seems like this is always a good matchup. What does AC look like this year?